Morgan Freeman to Host ‘The Story of God’ for Nat Geo

morgan freeman story of god
Courtesy of Cindy Ord/Getty Images

Morgan Freeman has been the voice of God. Now he will be the face of a series that explores our quest to understand the divine.

Freeman, who has frequently shared his own opinions on the subject, will host and exec produce Nat Geo’s “The Story of God.”

“The story of God is one of the greatest mysteries and most important ideas in the world,” said Freeman. “For me, this is a personal and enduring quest to understand the divine, and I am humbled by the opportunity to take viewers along on this incredible journey.”

Described as an “epic adventure and profoundly personal journey into the eternal mysteries of the divine,” the series will follow Freeman as he embarks on an epic exploration and intimate reflection on God, immersing himself in religious experiences and rituals all around the world, as well as becoming a test subject in scientific labs to examine how the frontiers of neuroscience and cosmology are intersecting the traditional domain of religion.

“God is arguably the most important topic of our time,” said Lori McCreary, Freeman’s producing partner at Revelations Entertainment and an executive producer on the series. “National Geographic’s unprecedented inside access will allow us to explore the global mystery behind God and religion. With Morgan as our storyteller, we’re going to produce a visually stunning and thought-provoking series that will spur meaningful conversations about God and faith, by believers and nonbelievers alike.”

The series will also include Freeman’s own opinions on the matter, as he ponders and shares his personal reflections from the back of a taxi leaving the Vatican or hiking through the Guatemalan jungle on the way to an abandoned Mayan temple.

“We’re partnering with Revelations Entertainment and the talented, multifaceted Morgan Freeman to produce an epic and very personal journey to understand mankind’s religious devotion,” said Courteney Monroe, CEO, National Geographic Channels. “Blending science, history, anthropology and personal experience, we’re harnessing the power of the National Geographic brand and our unparalleled global reach to tell a meaningful and awe-inspiring story of religion and spirituality, across disciplines and faiths.”

“The Story of God” will be produced by Revelations Entertainment for National Geographic Channel. For Revelations Entertainment, Freeman, McCreary and James Younger are executive producers. For National Geographic Channel, Michael J. Miller is executive producer; Kevin Mohs is vice president, production and development; Alan Eyres is senior vice president, programming and development; and Tim Pastore is president, original programming & production.

“The Story of God” is slated to air in 2016 on National Geographic Channel and Nat Geo Mundo in the U.S. and globally in 171 countries and 45 languages.

1. Karen says:

It is beyond me, how a man who thinks he is God, who does not believe that Jesus wrote the ultimate check for his sins. A man who would denigrate his own race his own family could be chosen to find God. Clearly this man cannot find peace within himself, that is the only reason I can possibly put forth for his ridiculous remarks. I will pray that one day he understands the mess of his life stems from his non-belief.

• Mildred says:

There was no way for me to edit my comment but in my fourth sentence I meant to say…if ‘freedom of religion’…, and also I meant to input ‘have’ before ‘no love’ in my fifth sentence. My last sentence should read, “This is another Christ you have today that is without love and full of judgment; and I don’t want any part of this new Christ.”

• Mildred says:

Thank you Karen for your comment. Now I truly want to see this documentary. I am not a Christian but was raised to be. I would probably still be a Christian is ‘freedom of religion’ was real in America but when I saw how non-Christians are ridiculed, treated as lepers and almost ostracized, I realized that something is wrong with the people who practice this religion of love that is totally lacking any love what-so-ever. You can tell by your comment that you have condemned first…no love, no understanding. If Christianity is named for Christ….it is nothing like the Christ I have read about or was raised up believing in. This is another Christ of have and judgment and I don’t want any part of this new Christ.

• 58cindyj says:

VERY well said, Karen – when I heard that HE was going to tell the tale, I KNEW it would be more of an indoctrination, into his NON-beliefs!

2. David Morse says:

Thank you for “The Story of God” presented by National Geographic on Television. King James Bible Version: Genesis Chapter 1 Verse 26 States … make man in our own image…
    Joseph Smith, founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, testified that God the father and his son Jesus Christ both have bodies of flesh and bone because Gen 1:26 has been verified by Joseph Smith. See the title page of “The Pearl of Great Price.” Also see the Title Page of the “Doctrine and Covenants” That describes the meeting between the two heavenly beings and Joseph Smith.
    Detractors call it a story, however, faithful LDS (Mormons) would call the vision a “Pronouncement” that we (all of humanity) is indeed made in the image of God.

3. rational says:

“God is arguably the most important topic of our time,” said Lori McCreary,” WRONG. It’s the most outdated topic. Time to get over crazy religious fantasies and use critical thinking to discover the reality of our world through science.

4. Jerry Siegle says:

Thank you for teaching me so much and opening my mind to a new and improved way of thinking I am verry greafull thank you god bless

5. Manoj says:

Just curious to find out which was/were the first religions that came to being or followed….

6. DENISE M. AH YOUNG says:

After posting my experience i read through the comments. God uses all men and women to spread his wisdom. It is up to us to study and prove or disprove who and God is in our lives. Faith is not mean words but acts of kindness and compassion. Mr Freeman is just a man doing a job. He does not profess to be a guru or pastor. We as people of faith need th raise above and not be comform of this world. Pray for the unbeliever, love your enemies. Remember when you speak on the web you speak to the work. May God be lifted up in all his glory for he is worthy to be praised. Stay true to yourself mr. Freeman. I know you may never see this but i am now praying for you.

7. Victoria Engel says:

Like Christianity, there are various Buddhist Sects. One that is practiced in over 192 countries and territories around the world that DOES NOT worship a statue or idol, is SGI Buddhism. Please research SGI-USA.org. The practice of chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is about bringing the enlightened potential out of all ordinary people, as the are and in the communities and life where they live.

8. Elizabeth Ann Masterson says:

“The Story of God” with Morgan Freeman touches the very essence of mankind on every continent in the world! The search for who God is will cause you to stop and know you aren’t alone.I can say that as I watched this documentary it gave me a true sense of peace as I journeyed through the absolutely beautiful world that National Geographic brings into your home and the calm and soothing voice of Morgan Freeman.I encourage all to watch this and enjoy embracing this journey!

9. Becky Kobi says:

As usual, you produce a wonder program and was entained throughly. Take care and be well
    Becky Kobi

10. Robert Davis says:

Will “The story of God” air again on a different time and day? Unfortunately I couldnt watch it on its original airing. I really want to watch it.
    Thank you.
    ~RD~

11. Becky Kobi says:

I thought the program was great and well received. Just imagine how many people are thinking why are we here? what am I to do? How come God chose me? the answers will come in if only we open our minds.

12. Sally Lou Hollander-Large says:

Just watched the first in the series re. Story of God. While very well narrated it leaves questions unanswered. I am hoping that along the way it becomes clearer in answering what happens when we die? Everyone in the room had a different take so how would one answer cover all beliefs. I shall wait and see.

13. Don Lockner says:

Faith is a discriptive term for the ignoring of certain facts that refute a chosen conclusion and the acceptance of non-facts that support that same conclusion. There are no gods and there never were any except in the imaginations of the faithful and in an incomplete understanding of the natural world by those who were attempting to define it. We do not live in a supernatural universe. We live in an ordered universe, the understanding of which is a continuing education that does not need invented gods for any reason other than to reach the uneducated in a fashion they find acceptable to their decision to limit their own understanding to something within their personal abilities. Ignorant fables are used as a medium to communicate with the scientifically challenged. To the moderator: I prefer my words to speak for me rather than having you alter them to say what whatever you are thinking.

14. jt says:

Not sure how your gonna do this mr.freeman, you not beleiving and all. It confuses me why you would even do this. Yes i beleive and trust in god and his son jesus, but ik theres ones out there who do not. I pray 4 all who don’t cause all of our days will come…….only our lord knows how we’ll end in front of him. Just cause its said he isn’t real dosnt mean he dont,ive seen 2 many things in my life. Again im confused why an athiest would play god in movies,and host this show.

• fogisgone says:

Are you very,very sure of your conclusion? I find that it seems like every culture at different times believed in blood sacrifice! The Jewish faith seems as though when the old testament was written, they were clearly stating that HUMAN blood sacrifice was not needed or wanted by God. Looking at the story of God telling Abraham to sacrifice his son and then, providing a substitute for that sacrifice was the way that God was telling the Jewish people NOT to sacrifice people to Him! It also was a foretelling of God providing the ultimate sacrifice, His Son, for everyone that would believe! So, by seeing that every culture knew that there needed to be a blood sacrifice, why would each culture think that the blood was so powerful? Think about the Aztecs and how long after the Jewish faith was shown that even animal blood sacrifices were no longer tolerated! I just think that we, as humans, have that instinct inside of us towards God. What we do with it is up to us and will have a direct bearing on how we spend eternity.

15. kevin says:

If Mr Freeman is so interested in God, why is his voice narrating a political ad for Hillary Clinton? She is an example of a godless soul.

• Robert Davis says:

You got that right. Im worried about that. If the election was held today between Trump, (any conservative really) and Hilary, She would win in a landslide. Obama started the demoralizing of this country, and Hilary will finish it. She should be behind bars but our liberal corrupt government, wont let that happen. God help us all.

16. Shari Harris says:

God story is he is Jewish not Christian. God has never been Christian at any point of his life. Christian are ban from Heaven. God is short for “good” and that all God ask of us to be good to each other. Christian are the fallen angles from Heaven for their hate toward Jews and homosexuals.

• fogisgone says:

Why are you trying to change this into a political blog? This is supposed to be about the program “The Story of God!” Maybe we should keep to the subject and stop dragging politics into everything that we do and talk about!

• fogisgone says:

Shari Harris, why do you believe that Christians are the fallen angels? The fallen angels followed Lucifer, who is now known as Satan or the Adversary, down from Heaven! If you believe that Christians, which means Christ-like are fallen angels, you are just confused. Any hatred that a person has for another is a sin and that person cannot be doing the Lord’s will! Am I saying that there are no people who call themselves Christians that hate Jewish people or homosexuals? Certainly not! I know that many people who call themselves Christ-like are NOT doing our Father’s work! In fact, those people that can believe that they can be a follower of Christ and hate anyone is either lying or being lied to, OR both! Our God is Love and the most perfect love there is! So, if we are sincerely trying to follow in His footsteps, we have to rid ourselves of ALL hatred about everything! We cannot be of the light if we have darkness in us! And hatred about anything is still darkness! We must love the person no matter what they have done! Pull the plank out of our own eye before trying to take the splinter from your brother’s eye! That is how we must learn to love! Agape Love! Love without conditions! Do you know that love? It comes from the One True God that is the Creator of everything!

• Robert Davis says:

Uhhhhh…..what the hell are you talking about. Your comment makes no sense. Jesus died on the Cross for our sins. Ive seen things that are MIRACLES. Plain and simple. I watched my brother in law who had an inoperable brain tumor. Dr. said he had (at most) two weeks. A priest came, we all held hands around him as the priest put his hand on by B. I. Law and said a healing prayer.
      Two days later, the huge tumor was gone. He was in stage 4 cancer with a large, inoperable, tumor on the brain stem. It wasn’t spontaneous remission.

17. Diane Griego says:

Another attempt to downplay the one true God Jesus Christ who does not tell his followers to kill unbelievers. And at Easter to catch naive folk off guard to believe the lie that all religions serve the same God. If Morgan Freeman believed in the true God who would not support a party that supports killing babies the most vulnerable or homosexuality that God condemns and a lifestyle that has killed millions of sons, brothers, fathers and husbands from gay HIV. Such a shame to intentionally discredit Christianity.

18. Teri says:

Morgan Freeman is a self-professed atheist and just like other shows that appear around Easter, this is an attack on faith…trying to make logical, scientific sense of faith, which cannot occur. We will never have an explanation for everything except to have childlike faith. This type of show puts doubts in believers and also sways those that are sitting on the fence…and the Christian God is not the same god that others worship.

• Leslie says:

Teri there is only one God and he is the God for all the Religions of the world not just Christians. He is the same God that the Jews, the Muslims, the Buddhist , the Bahai’s, etc believe in. maybe if you were not so closed minded and open your eyes we would have unity among people and religions more peace less war

19. Agustin says:

It is a great opportunity for every individual to watch this series because it may help us to understand what God really want for us. But most assuredly, If we truly need and long for God, we can understand His will through his words that are written in the Holy Scripture. So if we need God we can draw near to him by obeying his commandments.

20. I am so excited Morgan Freeman is going to host and exec produce this important subject. Looking at God from all points of view can expand our understanding of who we are and possibly build compassion.

21. Bill Blank says:

I live in Harrisville Mi. Watching Morgan Freeman on the Today. When he started to discuss this series are station acted up every time he mentioned God. Was our tv the only one with issues? No problems after that.

22. Gene in L.A. says:

Given that Mr. Freeman doesn’t believe in a creator god, I believe he’s the perfect guide through an exploration of human attitudes toward a god. I hope that in addition to examining various religions and traditions the program will also delve into what there is about us that makes us need something outside ourselves to believe in. This is potentially a landmark series, to which I’m looking forward with some anticipation.

23. I have to say, this sounds very interesting to me….to study the words of God, AND the different beliefs from all around the world. This is something we all should look into…. I believe that all religions have a big part, of the BIG picture…. WE choose to separate them thinking, “our way is the best”. BUT IN ALL reality, in all fact…. I believe we are all apart of something bigger than ourselves, BIGGER than we truly can imagine…. We really can’t see the big picture, because we were not meant to truly see…. We go by faith alone, as we should…. Sometimes our faith is all we need. Believing in something bigger than ourselves…. trusting, loving, helping…. I believe that someone needs to look into the religions from around the world, giving us a border perspective in how people truly feel…. keeping our eyes open to new possibilities, and ways to help the poor and the needy…. it will give us greater purpose than ourselves…. with our eyes closed we will never get good positive results in this life…. I believe that God uses certain people, my it be Morgan Freeman, or a Pastor, or a Priest. Evan the poor, or a theft, or even a prostituted…. trying to make a difference in this world takes a lot of people…. I think this series my be a good thing, something we all should think about…. if any…. You know we all are going in the same direction no matter how you look at it…. we all end up in the same place…. knowing our maker, maybe the only one thing we truly need to know…. It’s funny…. when your going though the worst day of your life…. who do you turn to? AND what do you ask?

• Tracy says:

Thank you Sherry for your words I could have not stated it better. I was very fortunate that my parents raised me to respect different views and faiths. I was always told ” Have faith in your lord and he will have faith in you” there is no right or wrong faith and once humans figure this out maybe a lot of the world troubles would be gone.

• yuker says:

Well done Sherry. It is very rare that you see an intuitive response such as yours !

24. sherry glasgow says:

I simply cannot wait.😆

25. Nanny Mo says:

This is a mistake, at least it’s “public television-ish”. A prophecy for you: this will NOT be a big hit because it will basically offend everyone. At least Morgan has a great narration voice. James Earl Jones would have been better, but again, this is a mistake.

• Ingrid says:

Already being critical of something you haven’t even seen yet, right down to the narrator. Definitely not a must see for the narrow or closed minded individual. I myself will be looking forward to get a better understanding of different views and beliefs of others globally, whether I agree with them or not. If one prefers to take this as an attack on their beliefs, instead of it being informative and educational that’s their problem for being stunted in their thinking. Personally I would love to hear the voice of Sam Elliot narrating, but that would be making religion TOO sexy for some.

26. Web Guru says:

I can’t wait for this one to air. Who better than Morgan Freeman to deliver a view of the divine?