Hip Hop Star Michel’le Making TV Movie With Thinkfactory

Michelle-Death Row Records Thinkfactor
Courtesy of Thinkfactor/Michel'le

Hip hop recording artist Michel’le Toussaint, best known by her single-named moniker Michel’le, has partnered with Thinkfactory Media for a scripted television biopic, the company announced Tuesday.

With the working title “Girl From the Hood,” the film will focus on fame, abuse and its aftermath. Toussaint — who has children with hip hop moguls Dr. Dre and Suge Knight — has gone on record stating that she was a victim of abuse in both relationships. In 1991, Dre and Knight co-founded Death Row Records, which had a roster of talent that included Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg.

In addition to the scripted project, Toussaint and Thinkfactory are also set to collaborate on a documentary centered around the singer’s life.

“I am so excited about my partnership with Thinkfactory Media. For many years I was unwilling to share my personal experiences. I am now ready to open up about my career, relationships and family,” Toussaint said in a statement.

The announcement comes after the summer box office success of “Straight Outta Compton,” which portrays Dre and Knight and their involvement with Compton-based rap group N.W.A. Following the film’s release, Dre also issued a public mea culpa that stated, “I apologize to the women I’ve hurt.”

1. Tanysha says:

I love your songs you are my favorite singer and i love your movie and i watch your lifetime story and its was so sad i was mad about what happened you was really sweet in that movie but i will always support you and your songs

2. Samantha says:

Will there be a digital release of Surviving Compton for fans to purchase? I just need to know will I be able to purchase my own copy or will I forever have to watch it on my DVR. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

3. Good movie, everyone has a story. This movie portrayed Dre a whole different way then we seen. It might be true, might be false. But 1 thing for sure u will never know unless u were them or were there and saw the beatings. So a thumbs up to her for finally speaking up. Love her voice.

4. Dhansen says:

I’m excited to see her show!! I loved her movie. I’m a fan of Michel’le. I’ve ALWAYS loved her voice! It may annoy some ppl but there’s a sense of innocence there. You can tell she’s a sweet girl and Easy was right when he said she was a sweet girl, Dee didn’t need to do her Luke that. I agree with the statement though that people change and ppl do make mistakes. I dint think Michel’le was trying to Capitalize on anything other than telling HER story (as she said in her movie). JS

5. Katie Henson Scott says:

Curtis Hamilton did amazing in his portrayal of Dr Dre

6. Brenisha Wright says:

hey my name is brenisha and i am 17teen years with almost the same pitch voice as yours i would love to know more about you and how you deal with the comments about your voice

7. Ketren Evans says:

Don’t condone any man that abuses a woman physical or mentally. But I don’t see why Dr. Dre will have to leave town. Her incident with him is in the past again NOTHING for him to be proud of. Peoples do change, believe it or not. And some peoples are ashame of the way they behaved younger in their life. Coming outta Compton was a story of how the group started. It didn’t have to include the artists personal life with their partners. Because the movie was such a success, everyone wants to band wagon from the success. I like Michel’le, but tell her story not try to drag another person. In the end this man will still have his $$$, plus she has to get his ok if he’s portraited in it, or he can sue.

8. Yayyy!! Dre is going to have to leave town