Jonathan Crombie, ‘Anne of Green Gables’ Actor, Dies at 48

Jonathan Crombie Dead: 'Anne of Green

Jonathan Crombie, who co-starred in the “Anne of Green Gables” movies, has died. He was 48.

Crombie’s sister told CBC News that her brother suffered a brain hemorrhage and died in New York City on Wednesday.

The actor played love interest Gilbert Blythe in CBC’s Anne of Green Gables miniseries.

“He was funny, he was sweet,” his sister said. “He loved acting, he loved comedy and singing and dancing. As a little kid, he just loved Broadway shows and all of that kind of stuff and would sing and dance in the living room.”

Crombie, born in Canada, was also the son of ex-Toronto mayor David Crombie.

He appeared in several TV shows over the past 20 years including “The Good Wife” and “21 Jump Street.”

1. Sonya Paul says:

Sad day, our family loved watching him as Gilbert, sounds like he was just as kind in real life.

2. Jennifer says:

My heart breaks for the family of Jonathan Crombie! He was far too young and I am sure his family is heartbroken. As a fan of Anne of Green Gables I am shocked and heartbroken as I “loved” “Gilbert” as I know all the other young lady fan also did!! His memory will live on in the hearts of the fans that continue to watch and love the movies!! RIP!!

3. anon says:

This news definitely made me tear up. I’m not one to harbor a crush on actors, but Jonathan Crombie was so sweet and adorable as Gilbert Blythe, who could help it? I read somewhere that he was working recently on a documentary “Waiting For Ishtar” about the making of the movie “Ishtar,” which starred one of my other favorites, Dustin Hoffman (just admiration and appreciation, no Gilbert Blythe style crush, though). My wish is that there is kismet in the universe and that Hoffman might hear of this sad news and reach out to Mr. Crombie’s family and friends to help bring the project to some kind of closure/fruition. Wishful thinking, yes, but that was the whole message of optimism and goodness that the universe of “Anne of Green Gables” embodied for so many of us.

4. Deborah Kikuchi says:

Gilbert and Anne is truly a match made in heaven, beautiful couple I will cherish in my heart forever!!! You both brought so much joy to my life growing up, and still do in my adult life. God bless you both:)

5. Deborah Kikuchi says:

My heart is aching, I will miss you Jonathan, for you will always be “gilbert Blythe” to me *sob* thank you for all the sweet “carrots” memories with your beloved Anne Shirley. You are a true kindred spirit. May you rest in peace.

6. Tasha says:

I’m literally in tears… I was seriously planning on marry him…. I loved him in Green Gables!! I’m sure he’s having a great time in heaven though. It’s totally better up there :) <3 Just sad down here… Gonna miss you Crombie. RIP <3

7. So Sad… he wasn’t as lucky as I …..

8. Jennifer Anne McCarthy says:

So saddened by the news of Jonathon Crombie’s (Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables) passing. How tragic for his family to lose him so young and in such an unexpected way 😟

I was named after Anne with an E of Green Gables (my middle name) and it was the first set of books I ever read willingly as a young girl (after watching and falling in love with that very TV mini series). That encounter started my love affair with reading and I will mourn his passing like an old friend.

9. Jock Ellis says:

I was so glad they made a third film where he married Ann with an e. Thought he played the part perfectly. Gotta go and cry now.

10. Rach says:

Awful. He was a lovely man.

11. Virginia P says:

I can’t believe this…I’m very sorry to hear about his passing. I love Anne of Green Gable, and I think that he portary his character perfectly. RIP Jonathan … You will be missed!!!

12. Beckett says:

Yes incredibly sad. I have watched the Green Gables series so many times since I was a teenager. Just loved them. Love Gil and Anne. They did such a good job. We’ll always have Anne and Gil. RIP.

13. Kimberly says: