Jada Pinkett Smith Says She’s Leaving ‘Gotham’ After Season 1

jada pinkett smith

Gotham” star Jada Pinkett Smith has said that she won’t be returning to the hit Fox show for its second season. The actress appeared on “Live With Kelly and Michael” on Friday morning and, when asked if she would be back for the previously announced second season, said: “I don’t think so, no. I signed for a year, and the year is up. But, there are some great things coming ahead on ‘Gotham’ — believe you me, there’s a lot of good stuff coming.”

“Gotham’s” producers released a statement on Smith’s bombshell through the show’s reps: “Fish Mooney’s storyline takes a lot of interesting twists and turns into the finale of season one of ‘Gotham.'” The network and studio declined to comment further.

During the “Live” appearance, Smith enthused about her experience playing Fish Mooney, the ruthless mobster who mentored the Penguin (Robin Lord Taylor) before he betrayed her. “I get to play a character who gets to do extreme things. She’s evil — that’s always fun,” Smith said. “I’m having a good time.”

As one of the few characters on “Gotham” not taken from the Batman comics, Fish is the only major villain on the show whose fate is a mystery to comic book fans. But the actress’s scene-stealing performance has won its share of admirers, which could make killing Fish just as controversial as offing a canonical Batman baddie.

1. Naw says:

Glad she isn’t returning either. I actually liked her character at first, but as the season wore on it was obvious that Jada thinks “acting” bad is snapping her fingers and clucking. She does it over and over again and it’s so cheesy. It might make Will pick up his dirty socks off the floor, but “acting” it ain’t.

2. John says:

I didn’t like her character anyway o maybe the way she portrayed it. I believe they didn’t want her back.

3. fayec9 says:

I want fish back in Gotham. Fish was a fabulous character and I was so looking forward to second season to see what’s in store for fish.

4. Reign Superior says:

I wonder why Jada is so disliked? She’s a great actress and Fish definitely made the show worth watching. Jada is getting a lot of hate here. Interesting. Nah… I’m joking. We all know why! You rock, Jada! Bump the broke a%# haters! #TeamBmore

5. Terry says:

Ugh gonna miss that character love her so much. Can’t you bring her back

6. Chris says:

Warm Gotham now. She is the worst. I don’t know how she lasted past the first few episodes. Her character wasn’t needed. Though I do like Angel Bastisa was good. Havery is another character that is one dimensional.

7. Aron Joyce says:

Seriously Jada Pinkett Smith is the worst actor in the world !

8. Aron Joyce says:

So happy she is leaving , Fish Mooney is the only thing i don’t like about Gotham , worst character ever !

9. im not ganna watch the 2nd season if their is one, i love fish mooney.

10. P. Pangaea says:

If Fish isn’t coming back, then I won’t be watching. I love Ms. Pinkett-Smith in this role, and somehow feel that she was just used as bait (no pun) to reel some viewers in–name recognition. Bring her BACK!!

11. potato says:

I won’t be sad to see this giant blob of over acting go.

12. Carl says:

I am so happy she is leaving Gotham. She fell far short of giving this great character any real bite. Just playing a role with attitude does not bring to life the true elements that the writers were surely looking for. Time to retire Jada ;)

13. MattiBoi says:

Fish Mooney is by far the best character in Gotham. Would be a hugh loss if she’s not coming back for season 2.

14. I am sad to hear that there will not be any more Fishy stuff going on. I still love Gotham so many interesting characters and incredibly gifted actors. This show does Batman like it should be.

15. Mike says:

Good, she was the only character I not only didn’t like, but hated.

16. sham says:

Gotham is bad enough but without Fish Mooney it won’t even be worth watching at all. I stick with the flash.

17. Fisherman says:

Love the Fish to no end….I certainly will miss her if she really does leave. ..Who knows what they will do with the character. I am sure she is one of the reasons a lot of Gotham fans watch the series. I guess for us that like it will have to give it a chance and see what happens.

18. Joe says:

I’m not a big fan of Gotham at all but I have to admit I’m excited about the possibilities without Fish Mooney. I cannot stand that character. She’s a cartoon. She’s doing a bad Mae West impression and that’s putting it kindly. She’s SO bad. She’s just SO BAD. Maybe she was directed to act that way but my God, it’s just so over the top. How anyone could like that is beyond me. But I guess in a country where Michael Bay movies and Paul Blart: Mall Cop are the entertainment of choice it’s not a huge surprise that Fish freaking Mooney could be one of the most popular characters. This show isn’t very good anyway so I guess if you like Gotham a lot Fish Mooney is probably right up your alley.

19. Fre says:

Jada got a great character to work with and has done a really good job with it.
    Though Fish is a great character, Gotham does not rely on Fish, from Gordon to his sidekick as well as all the other characters afoot, there is plenty there, let’s hope they keep up the good work so far.
    Well done, so far.

20. panda says:

there goes my only reason to watch the show.

21. ring says:

Fish is my favorite on the show

22. Sylvia says:

There are so many potential villains in the Batman legacy available that Fish Mooney can be easily replaced. So long Fish.

23. Rachel says:

I don’t think she should leave she plays that role great, and I hope they don’t kill her character off. I watch gotham because she is on the show, I like the characters that are on the show.

24. G_Allen says:

Thank the gods of Gotham, I hated this character.

25. Yvonne says:

Why Jada don’t leave😖, you bring more action to the show, please, we love you😘

26. thinkingoutloud says:

I have to admit that I lost interest in her character very early and couldn’t muster up any in about the last 12-15 episodes, to the point where I FF’d through her scenes. Of late, since she was supposed to be gone and ended up wherever she is, but not gone, the screen time has been a distraction and detracted from the stories that really needed more time and attention to develop and connect.

One of Gotham’s problems has been with delegating time and focus and overall prioritizing instead of just including characters to have them on screen. I hope that this is a step towards fewer plots and a leaner primary cast.

27. I imagine that they used Jada ‘ s name recognition to publicize the show but never had an intention on having her character really take off. Now they are in a bad spot because Fish is a major part of the show. If it’s about money then they should pay it and use the heck out of her character. The fact that they are still telling Fish’s story even though she’s on the island means that they aren’t done with her yet. If she’s killed off it has to be pivotal to the story or to one of the characters in some way.

28. Laverne McGee (@firstcoyote) says:

Too bad. I like Fish. Here’s hoping she at least gets to mess up Oswald Cobblepott before she makes her exit.

29. dsrbroadway says:

I’ll bet you anything there’s more to this story. The fact that she made the announcement before her fate could be revealed means she’s ain’t happy about it.

30. Don Benn says:

If they don’t kill her off (or even if they do)…..there’s a whole lot of room in the tv version of the DC universe where she’d be right at home (ratings trumps logic every time).

• carbar475 says:

Normally not into comic books oriented shows. Checked this 1 out because she was in it, & loved the Penguin, so stuck around.

Am unaware of other comic book theme shows on TV, but are you saying she could be on 1 of those shows, if she’s no longer on Gotham? Uncertain of what u mean by ratings trump logic. As in none of comic themes are logical or something to do w/ Gotham ratings itself?

31. Anna Boo says:

Jada has turned Fish is one of the BADEST Marvel characters yet. We will miss seeing her…, I mean we got an eye on her now. lol

32. Bob Kennedy says:

I am not a Jada Pinkett fan but I love her work as Fish Mooney. Great character created by writers. Hope she jumps to comics like Agent Coulson from Shield.

33. JADA says:

GOOD! GTFO!

34. Jared says:

As such a huge part of the show, why on Earth would they have allowed her to sign on for 1 year in the first place. That’s a major loss to such a niche show. Shame on the producers for allowing that to even happen. They should have hired someone who was in it for the long term.

35. Well there goes the only diversity on the show … and I loved her character.

36. Rosanna Trinidad says:

She´s the best thing on the show. No way!! You need to keep Fish on the show and not just any Fish, Jada is the girl.

37. bsbarnes says:

Fish Mooney and GOTHAM go together like peanut butter and jelly! Hopefully Jada Pinkett-Smith and Bruce Heller can hammer out a deal before the Fish gets away from them. In GOTHAM, Fish Mooney is Batman!

38. Donn Johnson says:

If it weren’t for J.P.Smith/”Fish mooney”, I wouldn’t watch “Gotham”!!! They ( the producer’s) have taken SO MANY “CREATIVE EXPRESSIONS” of the comic series, it’s RIDICULOUS!!! Barabara Gordon & Officer Montayo having a Lesbian affair?? SMH

• carbar475 says:

ITA @ not watching if she wasn’t in it. And her plotline now makes no sense. She s/b in Gotham, and not some forsaken place. They ruined her character probably because they knew they weren’t renewing her contract/she re-upping???

39. JM says:

In my mind, Fish Mooney has always existed to complete Penguins evolution (Penguins eat fish don’t you know) and by the end of the season I figured Fish would be dead. Fish EXISTED to be killed because she’s not part of the canon.

40. Michael Anthony says:

Gotta get back to that “church” work you know.

41. She probably just wants more money. Hopefully the producers kill her character.