CBS Brings Back Classic ‘I Love Lucy’ Episodes for One-Hour Special

I love Lucy in Color CBS
Courtesy of CBS

In an effort to draw in viewers hankering for nostalgia, CBS will broadcast two colorized versions of “I Love Lucy” starting at 8 p.m. on May 17.

The one-hour special of the classic sitcom, which starred Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz as Lucy and Rick Ricardo, features episodes “L.A. at Last!” and “Lucy and Superman.”

“Lucy and Superman” follows the trials of scheduling kids’ birthday parties. It first aired in 1957 and features George Reeves, star of TV show “Adventures of Superman.” William Holden guest stars in “L.A. at Last!” which has Lucy and Ricky finally landing in Los Angeles because Ricky is appearing in a new motion picture. The special will also show additional material that has not been broadcast since the episode first aired in 1955.

1. Cheryl Jenkins says:

I watch I Love Lucy every morning at 5am while I am getting ready for work on Hallmark Channel. I have always been a fan of the show.

2. Once is not enough! PLEASE show #ILL in color every Sunday night.

3. Paula Molony says:

Lucille Ball is my favorite actress of all time.Not anyone one else even compares to her.

4. Art B. says:

On the “Lucy And Superman” episode, close your eyes and listen to her friend’s husband. Does his voice sound familiar? That’s George O’Hanlon the voice of George Jetson years before he headed to the 21st Century.

5. Sandy says:

CBS should show 2 colorized episodes a year. that clip was funny…just good clean humor.

6. Hicky says:

No glaad award for this show.

7. Ray Blewington says:

Colorized???

8. Frank Russo says:

Great news. Now CBS needs to restore and colorize the 75 minutes Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour episode entitled Lucy Goes to Havana. How topical that episode will seem now that we are restoring relations with Cuba again.

9. Mitch says:

Brilliant idea.

10. Jordna says:

This kind of TV is better than what is on current TV and those streaming services netflix and hulu.

11. Karen North says:

Please bring back original “Lassie” – someone has to sort through the ownership problems.
    Every episode is just as fine today as 1959.

You can not even buy the original tv episdoes on dvd because of ownership, but a relaunch would be a huge hit. besides, do not children need something without techno-beat aliens, or snark?

Last show I want to watch is “I Love Lucy” What is wrong with CBS?

• Ray says:

The last colorized I Love Lucy special that CBS aired got big ratings. If this does well you can plan on getting a lot more! I hope they put it out on DVD. The Lucy meets Superman episode is hilarious!

• Bill B. says:

What’s wrong with you? I was raised on Lassie and I love Lucy. Some of Lucy might be dated, but it’s still better than Lassie. I remember these two episodes as being funny, particularly the William Holden one but Lassie was a little boring to me even as a child. Typical of the ’50’s though to show life in the most unrealistic ways.