HBO Confirms Early Talks of ‘Deadwood’ Movie

Deadwood Movie: HBO Confirms Early Talks

Is “Deadwood” about to return from the dead?

A spokesman for HBO confirmed to Variety that “very preliminary discussions” have been made to resurrect the Western series with a movie, though it’s unclear how serious the premium channel is about the pic.

Actor Garret Dillahunt, who played Francis Wolcott on the series that ran from 2004-06, ignited the chatter Wednesday when he tweeted: “So uh … I’m hearing credible rumors about a #Deadwood movie.”

“Come on HBO,” he wrote. “You made the ‘Entourage’ movie. Give the #Deadwood fans some closure.”

Despite the overture, fans of the Emmy-winning drama know not to hop in the saddle just yet.

HBO previously announced two “Deadwood” movies when it officially cancelled the show in 2008, but nothing ever came of them. Creator David Milch was also said to be offered a shorter fourth season of the series but quickly rejected the idea.

Still, Hollywood loves a comeback story and Milch, himself, has hinted at the possibility of a revival.

“I don’t know that the last word has been said on the subject,” he told Esquire in 2011. “I still nourish the hope that we’re going to get to do a little more work in that area.”

“Deadwood,” which starred Ian McShane as merciless saloon owner Al Swearengen, ran for three seasons before abruptly ending its run.

The acclaimed drama also starred Timothy Olyphant, Molly Parker and Brad Dourif, and is widely considered to be one of HBO’s best original series alongside “The Wire” and “The Sopranos.”

1. Lisa M Shull says:

I have watched the reruns of Deadwood I never saw the original series I was able to see it on my fire stick PLEASE do the movie I actually just saw the last of the 3rd. series I was left like WHAT Please do a movie to finish the story

2. Clive Lancaster says:

It took me 3 attempts to get into Deadwood but im so glad I persevered. It is brilliant and im so shocked to find out now that it was stopped after season 3. It has to be the most raw gritty realistic pioneering drama out there and I would pay to watch 3 more seasons at least. MORE PLEASE!

3. Yes Deadwood needs to come back. It was left unfinished. I don’t believe that credits were low, everybody every where was watching and talking about it. If HBO doesn’t want to do it then FX should pick it up.YOU BET WE WOULD GO SEE IT.

4. James Murphy says:

I would definitely go see the Deadwood movie if HBO would produce it. It’s a shame that this story doesn’t get a well deserved finish. There are too many good shows that get cancelled too soon. The acting in the show is great, especially Ian McShane. Also the writing is excellent. It almost seems like a totally different dialogue. C’mon HBO, step up!

5. “find somewhere to sweep where I cant see you…..go on!…get fuckin!!”

6. Marco Camargo says:

HBO, you bastards! You owe us this!

7. me says:

And all of this arguing over who was responsible for what…who the fuck cares! We all just want deadwood back…even if it is only for 2 hours or so…but they had better bring EVERYONE back…no replacements, anyway…that would be a travesty. Anyone else playing “swiggen” or Bullock or anyone else would be a slap in the face of not only the dedicated…sometimes rabid ( thats me…) fans, but especially the magnificent actors. Do it right or don’t fuckin do it!

• Tim says:

Apparently when you post a comment on a Variety article that corrects spelling and editing, and criticizes the accuracy of the reporting, Variety takes offense and deletes your comment. Pretty hypocritical stance for a reporting agency whose primary tenet should be to the First Amendmentp.

8. me says:

Cmon HBO! Let’s do this and finally give all of us some deadwood closure. Please? And hopefully thank you…

• me says:

I agree with you about the first amendment thing…and I didn’t get to read the comment that they deleted…but that’s bullshit. Bad on you variety. That being said…er, typed, they did post the comment that I’m replying to now…maybe out if spite?

9. Woo, Swearingen (now they were tight)

10. i need closure! bring it back!

11. Dino says:

I’ve never been more upset about a series ending then this. I seriously think I brooded for about 3 years. Still gets my blood boiling if somebody brings it up. Please, give us something!

12. janejeffer says:

HBO owes us!! I’m still pissed they canceled such an awesome show. Best dialog in a series ever. And I don’t mean the repeated use of “C@@ksucker” either!

13. Christopher says:

>Actor Garret Dillahunt, who played Francis Wolcott

AND the Coward Jack McCall! The production was so on point that I didn’t even notice until like my third viewing, and even only then because I noticed his name in the credits again after the Coward Jack McCall’s death.

14. MXR says:

Now just add a Carnivale wrap-up movie to the list and everyone will be happy.

15. Tom says:

This is great rumor news. Should I allow myself to have hope for this project ever happening? I said my goodbyes and made my peace in 2008. HBO, be bold, you will ensue I am a life long subscriber if you make this happen continuity issues be damned!

16. John says:

Amen! Please make it happen and make sure you bring everyone back. I second the need for a John from Cincinnati revival as well.

17. John says:

Would rather see. John from Cincinnati movie!!!

18. “Announcing your plans is a good way to hear God laugh. ” – Al Swearengen

19. Al Swearengen says:

This might be the best news I have ever heard. God bless you HBO.

20. Sam says:

Lets be fair. There should be a Deadwood and Rome movie. Both shows ended without any closure.

21. Deadwoodcarl says:

Gathering the old cast for continuity would be nearly impossible, but if a movie ever happens, I’ll watch. Chris Albrecht was the fly in the ointment.

22. jhs39 says:

The abrupt final season of Deadwood is the reason I never bought the series on Blu-ray even though it was one of my all time favorites–it’s simply impossible to ignore the fact that the show was incomplete and not meant to end where and when it did. The person who was running HBO at the time essentially canceled Deadwood rather than pick up the option on the cast so the next season could be shot at a later date to accommodate David Milch’s short-lived HBO series John From Cincinnati. He also nearly passed on True Blood–the show wasn’t picked up until the last day there was still an option on the cast even though the pilot had been delivered to the network months earlier. He also passed on Mad Men which HBO had developed. I don’t remember his name but he didn’t last for very long after the True Blood/Mad Men fiascos.

• You’ve said incorrect and stupid things. Chris Albrecht is the one who cancelled Deadwood in 2006 and he’s well known as the greatest network CEO in the history of television. He’s the guy who created HBO as we know it today or, well, as we used to know it until 7 years ago. He’s the one who let Tom Fontana create Oz, who let David Chase create The Sopranos, who let David Milch himself create Deadwood in the first place(when no other network was ever going to let him do that and definitely not with 3 million dollars per episode) and he’s the one who let David Simon create The Corner first and The Wire later and who also let him make it for FIVE seasons. The Wire was almost cancelled after season 3 and practically cancelled after season 4 but he still allowed the best TV author of all time to complete the best TV-Series ever made even though nobody was watching it. Chris Albrecht is the one who gave Bruno Heller 9.7 million dollars(NINE POINT SEVEN million dollars) PER EPISODE(per 13 episodes) to make the first season of Rome and who still let him make a second season despite the low ratings with NINE million dollar per episode for 10 episodes. That is, by the way, still the biggest budget in the history of television…not even Game of Thrones reaches that with 6 million dollars per episode. When Daniel Knauf pitched Carnivàle(one of the ten greatest series of all time) to HBO, he was a insurance salesman who wrote a huge script…and Chris Albrecht LET him do that because he wanted to produce the best pieces of art possible. Also, Mad Men turned out to be a crappy series after TWO seasons, it became truly one of the worst cable series i’ve ever seen and HBO passed on it because they simply had not place for it(they had the sixth season of The Sopranos, plus the fifth season of The Wire, plus the second season of Rome to air and they had already given the greenlight to David Milch for John From Cincinnati). On top of that, he actually offered David Milch to make a fourth season of Deadwood but with less episodes and he refused. He’s not the one who gave the greenlight to True Blood because it’s a crappy trashy series that he would have never produced. He left HBO in may 2008 after he was arrested, he had drinking and personal problems and that’s when HBO died. Deadwood was cancelled because there were problems with the contracts with the big ensemble cast and the budget was too big for the ratings they had but Chris Albrecht is a legend, without him we wouldn’t have most of the best art TV that’s ever been made.

• me says:

And the single fact that Chris what’s his face cancelled deadwood means that he is not the greatest network CEO of all time. Just because you say the he is widely known as that doesn’t make it so…the other guy said nothing stupid. You did.

• me says:

And by the way…jhs or whoever IS correct…whatever the idiots name is that was running HBO at the time may have green lit some amazing shows, but the cancelation of Deadwood WAS mostly because he didn’t want to pay to hold on to the actors while Milch worked on John from whatever. Which was nowhere near as good as Deadwood. My opinion, obviously…but many have and would still agree with me. Get your facts straight.