NBC Cancels ‘Hannibal’ After Three Seasons

Hannibal cancelled
Image courtesy of NBC

Hannibal” won’t live to see a fourth season on NBC, the broadcaster announced Monday.

Currently in its third season, which premiered June 4, the drama will finish up its entire 13-episode run in the same 10 p.m. timeslot Thursday nights this summer, wrapping up on Aug. 27, with the season-three finale serving as the series ender.

Created by Bryan Fuller, “Hannibal,” which debuted in spring 2013, stars Hugh Dancy, Laurence Fishburne, Caroline Dhavernas, Gillian Anderson and Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

“We have been tremendously proud of ‘Hannibal’ over its three seasons,” the network announced in a statement. “Bryan and his team of writers and producers, as well as our incredible actors, have brought a visual palette of storytelling that has been second to none in all of television — broadcast or cable. We thank Gaumont and everyone involved in the show for their tireless efforts that have made ‘Hannibal’ an incredible experience for audiences around the world.”

Fuller — who is currently adapting the novel “American Gods” for series at Starz — commented: “NBC has allowed us to craft a television series that no other broadcast network would have dared, and kept us on the air for three seasons despite Cancellation Bear Chow ratings and images that would have shredded the eyeballs of lesser Standards & Practices enforcers. (NBC entertainment president) Jen Salke and her team have been fantastic partners and creatively supportive beyond measure. ‘Hannibal’ is finishing his last course at NBC’s table this summer, but a hungry cannibal can always dine again. And personally, I look forward to my next meal with NBC.”

The De Laurentiis Company, which produces “Hannibal,” tweeted that the company is “exploring other options for future seasons,” adding “others have expressed interest in partnering with us.”

Though critically acclaimed with a rabid fanbase, the series has been ratings-challenged from the start, and it hit a series-low 0.5 rating in adults 18-49 with the two most recent episodes to air. Those two episodes averaged a mere 1.65 million viewers overall.

1. Cynthia says:

I am so disappointed that Hannibal will not be returning for another season. I couldn’t wait until it started back each season. It’s one of the series on TV. Please rethink this one.

2. Joyce White says:

I am so sad that Hannibal has been cancelled. You left the viewers “hanging”, a few more episodes to clean up the leftovers (pun intended), would have been the prudent thing to do. Rarely does one see such an intense, well-acted story line on TV. I will forever wonder at all the undone story lines.

3. Leslie says:

It is so frustrating that Hannible was cancelled. The acting was superb and the story line was well done. Bravo to all that made this show a sucess!

4. R says:

I only just started watching and it’s easily on par with the Wire and Sopranos in terms of quality. The first season was a bit slow and lost my interest but 2nd season on has been amazing. Hope it returns.

5. Mary m v says:

Hannible is so unbelievably stylish, aesthetically pleasing, artistic, incredibly directed and acted! How in the world can this masterpiece be cancelled? I feel that if this incredible show was on a cable station it would have been embraced. The average audience likes Mecioce…sadly….

6. Elena says:

Mads is sexy, I love the show very much, I would love for a season 4 to be in the making

7. Cindy says:

Will really miss this show! I do understand the decision tho. I save up episodes because I have to be in the right frame of mind to watch. It demands my full attention & I’ve never been disappointed. Took me a couple of episodes to warm to Mads, but I have been totally charmed(yes I said CHARMED!) by him- which is, I believe, Harris’ true intention for the Hannibal character. And ladies, tell me he’s not sexy! Nice work, Mads!

8. Jamie says:

Hannible is a great show. I’ve never watched anything so amazing. NBC made a big mistake.

9. April Johnston says:

Hannibal was an amazing show. It put such an interesting twist to Hannibal’s life without taking away from the originals. I truly hate to see this go.

10. MARIO says:

NBC you just lost ANOTHER, YET, ANOTHER amazing series!!!

There’s an audience for shows like this, and you could’ve been at the forefront.

#HannibalOnNetflix #HannibalOnHulu #HannibalOnAmazon

11. Jarrell says:

Maybe if NBC had put this on Hulu like it’s other shows it would have had a better chance. No one watches “live” anymore. Instead, it gets put on amazon charges per episode.

12. Viewer says:

Beautifully produced series with exquisite – and undoubtedly expensive – production values. A rarity for a network series. But, alas, the ratings were always low. Not unexpected that it’s been cancelled. Still, NBC should be applauded for taking a chance with this one. However, Hannibal Lecter – like Michael Myers and Norman Bates – will always live on in some form or another!

13. JoeR says:

Deja vu. In reading many of the posts here, I’m reminded of similar comments directed towards NBC when they cancelled CONSTANTINE…a show with much higher ratings and the potential to create a universe of spin-offs. (Showing how short-sighted that network is.) NBC must like being at the bottom…they certainly deserve to be there

14. Stanley O says:

Poor NBC. What kind of idiots are running the network these days? First they bring back Lyin’ Brian Williams, then they cancel HANNIBAL. Fools.

15. JOE S HILL says:

Right about now,i’m guessing that “HANNIBAL” would like to do to one of these NBC executives,what
    his Anthony Hopkins counterpart did to Ray Liotta,in the 2001 movie!

16. Staphyle says:

Come on #FoodNetwork #SaveHannibal

17. DorothyParkerlite says:

Sticking to the true essence of the story being told is what’s important – and any ethnicity, or gender, can cover that. Doesn’t matter what race the actor is, as long as they can ACT and not waste my time. And no, that’s not a liberal agenda, that’s a HUMAN consideration. (Btw, it’s 2015, not 1915 so for fuck’s sake, get with it.) That being said, Hugh Dancy’s portrayal of Will became a yoke that really dragged the show down. I had to eventually skip his scenes because they just didn’t serve the story and became unbearable to watch. It seemed like filler to be honest. Mikkelsen’s Hannibal was pretty good but I was beginning to wonder what the hell he saw in Will. Dude was coming apart at the seams, and that lack of control, to me, would not be interesting to someone like Hannibal.

• MARIO says:

Not having read the books has given me the advantage of not being biased to the portrayal of these characters. I know how upsetting it can be for a character to change personas from book to screen. But we must be open to interpretation. And please be reminded that no book or series of books will stay the same when it’s adapted to TV. There’s room to play, there’s room to change characters, challenge the writers, there’s room for a new universe and new character adaptations.

That being said, you’ve lost it! Hugh Dancy’s performance was EXCEPTIONAL and such a great compliment to the depth of all the players, especially Fishburne and Mikkelsen. This may be the very pinnacle of what TV production can achieve. This series is breathtaking.

From a lay person just discovering this universe, the acting and moods, the production – all of it was perfection…. for any TV series, in the past and currently.

18. Ash says:

What a stupid decision. Keep crappy shows on the air and cancel brilliant ones. I know I won’t continue to watch NBC.

19. patricnasty says:

Well, maybe people were tired of the characters being changed both in personality as well as ethnicity. In the book “Red Dragon”, as well as the movie,
    Will Graham was NOT a neurotic mess who has hallucinations and was almost dependent on Dr. Lecter. Ed Norton portrayed him correctly; a strong willed, competent agent who, first worked alongside Hannibal; and then after he (Hannibal) was captured could stand toe to toe with the good doctor.
    As for Dr. Hannibal Lecter, Gaspard Ulliel did a much more accurate portrayal in “Hannibal Rising”. The only people whom he killed and feasted upon were rude people; pretty much people who deserved it. I believe “Free Range Rude” was the term that was used.
    As for Jack Crawford, I am tired of the fascist p. c. brigade forcing people to change characters ethnicity just to fit their lie-bral agenda. Jack Crawford is Scott Glenn. That’s it.

• Zach Trevors says:

You’re full of shit if you think anybody has portrayed Hannibal better. and Will Graham was fucking perfect

• Goodbyenoway says:

What kind of idiot thinks the TV — an entirely new creation — show had to follow the books exactly?

• wizki says:

Yeah, um, while I won’t go so far as to call anybody an idiot just for expressing a view, I too have to question whether anybody cares about the ethnicity of the characters, personalities, etc. It’s based on the books, not a slave to them. How boring would it be if the producers, directors and actors didn’t have creative freedom to do what they wanted? If you want the books, read the books. Simple, right? “Azakban” was the best of the Harry Potter films because of the liberties taken w/the story, etc.–just one example. Finally, the series and the books are, uh, fiction, so there is no “correct” way to portray anybody. It sounds like you are simply angry at the “liberal agenda” you feel is being expressed somewhere, and this is your way of dealing with it. FYI, the “ums” are inserted to express incredulity, in case anybody wants to call me out on them (because that’s what some nick-pickers on these forums like to do. ;-)).

20. armand2700 says:

Go create more reality shows, you hacks

21. Teresa Cook says:

Such a brilliant, artistic show. Intelligently written and produced with the touch of an artist. I hope it will live again in another venue.

22. J Beth Suter says:

Noooo! Between watching Inside Out today and this, my heart has felt crushed enough. This show is so fantastic on every level. Let’s hope a VOD picks it up #SaveHannibal.

23. David says:

Once again we see why broadcast TV is just not the place for very deep, very thought provoking drama. This show was so much like fine china it was often breathtaking. Production values cannot be topped.

24. Anny says:

It’s sad to see it canceled…. Since it just started to get good…. I love this show… Maybe @Netflix will pick it up…. I wish it wasn’t so… I don’t believe in ratings anyway a lot of ppl don’t see tv shows wen they air. Shows shouldn’t be canceled based on their ratings alone. Their are plenty of shows that suck and yet they are still on.

25. Brea says:

Ratings don’t work the way they used to. People watch online. People wait for several episodes to air, and watch them in one sitting. This is how people watch TV today. We binge watch. We don’t tune in weekly.

26. Robin says:

This is a seriously BAD decision….complete BS!!! Why would you cancel the best show on TV since Dexter?!?! FOOLS!!!

27. stevenkovacs says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the NBC brainless drones responsible for cancelling ‘Hannibal’ were the same creative eunichs responsible for the ‘Profit’ debacle at FOX!

28. stevenkovacs says:

Hannibal cancelled?! To quote ‘Butler’ in ‘Staying Alive’: “This is bullshit!”

29. stevenkovacs says:

Why is it the most brilliant, challenging shows get cancelled?! Hannibal demands life; can’t Netflix help??🙏

30. Matthew says:

I’ve been saying and thinking — and I know I’m not the only one — that this show would be much better served if NBC canceled it and Amazon or Netflix picked it up. This show is just way too well-made to be interrupted with commercial breaks and advertising graphics and, arguably, week-long breaks between episodes.

I’m glad that the De Laurentiis Company is “exploring other options” and is still invested in the show — but of course they would and should be. I just hope so much that Amazon (I’m guessing them, since they hold streaming rights to existing seasons at the moment) takes up this huge get, doesn’t leave us in uncertain anticipation for too long, and that the show can flourish even more freely for perhaps three more seasons. This show does not deserve to be an absolute casualty of the antiquated and failing network television model.

31. Suzanne says:

this show is too intelligent for the average viewer, especially in the 18-25 bracket that everyone covets. its dark, full of visual imagery, allegory and metaphor, concepts unheard of in the popcorn-series staples that appease that crowd. the cerebral interplay of the characters is astonishing in its depth, and it would be a shame to let this level of sophistication die off. i do hope its picked up by another network or partner (hello, netflix?) so that we can continue to enjoy this visual and intellectual feast.

32. Help save this amazing TV show by signing and sharing a petition!

33. This show is amazing. I love dark, edgy drama and this show delivers. I’m afraid the problem is that it was never a fit for general audiences in the United States. This show would thrive on a network or digital platform that would allow it to grow and delve even further into the macabre the subject matter demands.

34. John Boylan says:

Big Mistake……………..

35. Rob Hernandez says:

Yes!! Save this fantastic show… NBC can now look forward to the bottom of ratings as they keep searching for ridiculous lame shows or better yet Reality television.. Please find a worthy network like AMC or FXX. Even better put the show on Showtime so it can be even better..

36. stevenmillan says:

I’m surprised that the show lasted this long,for I’d rather see worthless overrated garbage such as SALEM and THE STRAIN cancelled than this show(which surprisingly got away with a lot of gore)

37. PETER says:

Beautifully presented trash. The very talented stars of this show shouldn’t waste their talent, time, and energy on crap like this.

38. Sandy Muller says:

Mads IS an excellent actor but this show is just sick vile trash for creeps to masterbate to.

• stevenmillan says:

Sandy,you obviously haven’t seen the likes of AMERICAN HORROR STORY,THE WALKING DEAD,and SALEM(which all contain lots of sick and splattery gore and heavy violence).

39. Goodbyenoway says:

No surprise. This great show should never have been on a traditional lame network like NBC. It should be on Netflix.

40. Drew says:

No! The best and most criminally underrated show on TV. This is genuinely heartbreaking. The show represents the true juncture of art and entertainment and IMHO surpassed all previous Harris adaptations. I was so looking forward to the intimated seven seasons and myriad familiar story threads. Please resurrect on Netflix or another platform.