‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Shocker Leaks in New Issue of Entertainment Weekly

Grey's Anatomy

Fans of “Grey’s Anatomy” were surprised to see a major spoiler revealed in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, which arrived a day early for many subscribers in the U.S.

The entertainment magazine is delivered to newsstands each week on Friday, but some subscribers receive it at their homes a day earlier. And this particular edition is one “Grey’s Anatomy” fans would not want to read prior to Thursday night’s episode on ABC.

EW apologized for the spoiler in a statement: “We are surprised that an EW subscriber may have received their issue a day earlier than planned. We always try our best to bring readers exclusive news first. We would like to apologize to fans of the show that learned the news ahead of time.”

SPOILER ALERT: Stop reading if you don’t want to know any details of tonight’s “Grey’s Anatomy” episode.

Word of a big development for series star Patrick Dempsey leaked out via social media on Thursday afternoon after images of the upcoming issue of Entertainment Weekly surfaced on Instagram. The issue featured a photo of Dempsey and the headline “The Doctor is … Out,” suggesting that the character dies or abruptly leaves the show.

Speculation about a big shakeup on the show was also heightened when ABC announced a schedule change for its lineup next week, with a two-hour episode of “Grey’s” set for next week, which will push “Scandal’s” season finale to May 14 rather than May 7.

Dempsey has played Dr. Derek Shepherd on “Grey’s” since its inception in 2005.

1. kayla says:

I love that show

2. robin says:

I will never watch again

3. s says:

boycott this show. shondra should be ashamed. I’m so done with this show!

4. Helen says:

Grey’s Anatomy was about the love story between Derek & Meredith. It has now been ruined and I’m sure will be off the air very soon. If Patrick Dempsey wanted off the show, I guess there is nothing that could have been done, if Shondra wrote him off…she obviously wants the show to end.

5. robert says:

Surprise? Anyone who had been watching for the past three weeks could have seen his death coming a mile away. Too bad Derek couldn’t have done the same with that Mack Truck!

6. NG says:

Questions:
    1. Who pulls the plug on someone without discussing it with their family? Why didn’t Meredith have his sister and other family come say goodbye?
    2. Were Meredith and Derek even legally married? If his family gets pissed that she pulled the plug, will their little “post-it” hold up in court?

7. Jacques Strappe says:

Leaks? Right.

8. I am pissed off of last night episode, I think it was a shocker to every one. To kill off a main character, some one hit there head some where? This show was a great hit, now what?

9. cdhaskell says:

Thank god that I didn’t get the newest EW and misses the shocker information.

10. Vickie, who is no longer watching Grey's Anatomy says:

Shonda Rhimes IS THE DIVA! She went too far this time. Grey’s Anatomy’s days are numbered. Derrick and Meredith WERE the show. Now…I am done with it. After 10 years of faithful viewing I hate the thought of these two characters not having a happy ending. ABC gave Ms. Rhimes too much rope and she has now finally hung herself. By the way Ms. Rhimes…That new show How to get away with Murder stinks. I have tried to get into it but it is boring with overacting characters and a crappy storyline.
    No longer watched it. As far as Scandel…..Going by her record, that too will become all messed up .Enough already with Olivia’s ass___e of a father. Kill HIM off like you do with GOOD characters. Call him a DIVA and you have an excuse.
    BUT YOU are the true DIVA. No one is safe for a big fall from success and yours is just beginning.
    ABC executives….. wake up and see what she has done. Ruined Grey’s Anatomy and this is just the beginning. Not the gifted great like you thought.

11. Melanie says:

Wish Patrick would address his fan base. We’ve been invested in his character for 10 seasons! Please give us a proper goodbye. We have loved you for years! Grey’s will never be the same!

12. Kat says:

TGIT now means I get to watch Bones, Backstrom and Elementary. An episode that has everyone talking is only a good idea if we want to come back and see what happens next. I don’t, and luckily, I have others channels to watch. Done with Grey’s, done with all things Shonda, done with ABC if her reach extends any farther.

13. Jack says:

Valar Morghulis

14. julietrevino says:

Are viewers so naive to think that anything good happens when you stick to a show way past it’s prime? And especially on a show that kills characters off more frequently than The Sopranos?

When things are dragged on for 11 years, actors get angsty to leave. Combine that with a show that tries to milk a cash cow until it’s death, with few resolutions in sight, the results will inevitably be disappointing. Plots are determined by how long actors are willing to stay, rather than the other way around as it should be.

15. Derek Shepherd's ghost says:

None of you are as sad as I am. I had to leave my life, my love and my children all because the selfish man who played my role became a dickhead who stopped caring about his fans.

16. Charley says:

Bring Derek Shepherd back like Brian from Family Guy. Let’s convince Shonda that this was such a mistake and we can all just pretend his episode never happened. There is no Grey’s Anatomy without Derek, he made Meredith who she was, hence Greys Anatomy. There is no anatomy to Mer anymore. I’ve never been more heartbroken

17. della davis says:

Why Shonda, did you end it this way where Derek can never return?

18. Christina says:

I am so displeased with this. I was heart broken when they killed off Sloan and then Christina left…….now you kill off Derek……this sucks. I have watched from day one and when they killed off George and then Izzy left. Yes characters come and go but this one is the hardest pill to swallow.

19. Judy Philo says:

Bad choice to end his contract. Without him I have little interest and would not vote to continue the show.Many feel like me and will not watch any longer…POOR DECISION….

20. Melanie says:

Absolutely terrible decision! This show won’t ever be the same! Viewers should boycott it! What a sad way to end his character! Hate it!

21. Stephanie says:

This episode was an insult to all Grey’s Anatomy fans, what a terrible way to write Derek off the show. This was the worst episode I’ve ever seen on TV and will NEVER watch the show again

22. Lou says:

Are you out of your mind? You must be ready to end the show because you just did!!! Have not missed but about 3 or 4 shows since it started. Meredith cannot carry it by herself. Their story was the chemistry of the show. End of story.

23. Lorraine says:

I am done watching Grey’s the only reason I continued to waste my time was because of Derek Sheppard….horrible disappointment.

24. wilson says:

Put up with a lot from the writers since Burke, Izzy, and George left the show. It has been on life support. Now I will pull the plug.

25. marsha says:

I will no longer be watching Grey’s Anatomy. The worse decision to kill Derek and I have lost all interest in the show now. Bad, bad decision.

26. joann says:

The show was awful. I am done with Grey’s Anatomy. Derek was the reason I watched. The ending was poorly written and did not give fans the opportunity to see the character Derek again, if Patrick chose to return. Shonda sorry but alot of us are done with the mess you made of the show.

27. Debbie says:

With Derek gone , I will not be watching any more.

28. Drema says:

I think it would be safe to say the show will be ending soon. For me I am getting off the bus now because its useless to continue with the journey…

29. melissa says:

That was such a HORRIBLE decision to kill him off the show!!! I wont be watching anymore!

30. Glenda Vandruff says:

I will never watch Grey’s Anatomy again! Derek and Meredith made it great!

• robin says:

I agree worst decision ever. I will not be watching it without derrek on the show. I can’t even believe what I just watched.

31. nikki says:

If derek is gone, so am I!

32. Kat says:

I hate Shonda Rhimes

• Vickie, who is no longer watching Grey's Anatomy says:

Med too.

• gjohn510 says:

LOL…How many years did you watch the show? Yea, Shondra is still the Queen! Actors come & go when they need to promote a new image to extend their career for newly offered roles, especially when they feel their show has run its course! I’m not surprised!!

• chazzy says:

STOP ragging on Patrick Dempsey everyone! It was not his decision to leave! He did NOT want to leave.