CBS Developing Legal Drama Inspired by Gloria Allred

Gloria Allred CBS Series
Matt Baron/BEI/REX Shutterstock

CBS has a script deal in place for a drama series, inspired by the life of Gloria AllredVariety has learned. The project hails from writer/exec producer Deborah Schoeneman.

Inspired by the life of the famed feminist attorney Allred, the fictional drama revolves around a fearless, outspoken lawyer who takes on the toughest civil rights cases and is masterful at using the media in order to get justice.

Allred will serve as an exec producer, along with Schoeneman, a former staff writer on the CW’s “90210.” Peter Principato (Netflix’s “Wet Hot American Summer”) and Paul Young (FX’s “Married”) are also EPs. The untitled legal drama is produced by CBS Television Studios.

Known for her high-profile cases, many involving women’s rights, Allred has represented many clients in suits again celebrities, including Michael Jackson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Anthony Weiner and the family of Nicole Brown Simpson during the O.J. Simpson murder trial.

“With Hillary Clinton running for President, campus assault becoming a national crisis, and the number of Bill Cosby accusers continuing to swell, I think now is the perfect time for a legal drama inspired by Gloria Allred,” Schoeneman, who also worked on HBO’s “The Newsroom,” tells Variety.

“When I was finished working on the last season of ‘The Newsroom,’ I was trying to figure out what kind of show I wanted to develop,” she adds. “Gloria Allred was in the center of the stories in the news that most interested me, particularly about women seeking justice. I was thrilled that she was receptive and excited about partnering with Paul Young and me on this project. She was a lot of fun to pitch with … I feel lucky to have the opportunity to work with Gloria Allred to create a dynamic, passionate and polarizing character based on her. Gloria’s an amazing storyteller with a deep well of perfect material for television.”

Schoeneman was formerly a New York Times and New York Magazine writer. Her other TV credits include “Girls” and Amazon’s “Hand of God.” She is repped by UTA.

Debra Birnbaum contributed to this report.

1. Gloria Allred is the most hated person in America. With this action, they have destroyed the good will established over the last 67 years.
    She represents 30 women accusing/falsely accusing Dr. Bill Cosby. I hope CBS realizes that there is a conflict of interest with them being in business with her and covering Bill Cosby in their newscasts on all their stations.

2. Derek says:

Gloria Allred is a publicity seeking, poor excuse for an attorney who has never tried a significant case in her life. She employs investigators and minions who contact individuals who are the subject of publicity cases and promises them representation in return for a cut of the money they may receive as a result of their real or contrived injuries. If the case actually goes to trial she ducks it and pawns it off on a real trial attorney. Why would anyone be interested in this publicity seeking charlatan?

3. Dee says:

I hope it flops! I have no interest in seeing a greedy ambulance chasing witch. She’s disgraceful do better CBS!

4. Fern Brown Caplan says:

I have known Gloria since high school, and her passion for justice for women has been in place since then. Shame on those who see her as only an opportunist.

5. Ric says:

I already change the channel the moment I see her. I expect my reaction will not change.

6. MikeyDe says:

I can not wait to miss this BS show about a BS woman.

7. Tomhan says:

This is one show I will certainly no see.

8. sodacrackers says:

She uses the media to obtain justice or leftist mob violence?

9. John says:

Sigmund Freud tried for years, some say with only limited success, to answer that eternal question: What does woman want.

He also failed to answer that other eternal question, What else does woman want?

10. Fred says:

An ambulance speeding down the road slams into a dead story.. hours of cpr are performed and a corpse is produced….

“Slip in the city”… a new drama brought to you by: a country that is all red can’t survive.

11. Mary says:

Gloria should fight for women’s rights in the Arab countries. After all her name is Gloria.
    Where is the Glory of the women in those counties?

12. JohnFLob says:

After all these years that Gloria has been struggling and working the sidewalks, streets and byways of the legal profession she seems on the verge of getting the “big payoff” she has sought for so many of clients.

13. Dave Turner says:

I do hope that they include the case that brought her to national attention – when she defended the high school cheerleader, with the overly endowed chest, who was kicked off the squad because of the size of her breasts. Beyond that, I see this series failing quickly. But then again CBS continues to run Two Broke Girls so who knows.

14. Sud1 says:

I’d rather see a medical drama inspired by Dr. Doolittle

15. order king says:

Thank you for telling me about her connection. I will never watch it – and I am notifying all of my colleagues.

16. Jim M. says:

Spare us, O Lord!

17. Bill M. Elater says:

Great another loud obnoxious liberal on TV…didn’t they learn by the poor MSNBC ratings?

18. Joe E in the IE says:

“. . . the fictional drama revolves around a fearless, outspoken lawyer who takes on the toughest civil rights cases and is masterful at using the media in order to get justice.”

So it’s NOT about Gloria Allred.

19. malice420dotcom says:

Red Dress Chronicles.

20. Mark Johnston says:

Will it feature a main character that waves her arms dramatically and screams “Look at me! Look at me!!” ??

21. Martin Weiss says:

Inspired by Gloria Allred ? The only thing that Gloria makes me thing of is vomit. They’re going to do a show about vomit ?

22. Lisa says:

Let me guess, it’ll be written by the typical fat sweaty balding guy, as all the shows about women are.

23. Theo Willem says:

Is it about a money-hungry witch?

24. Her character was portrayed on L&O in early episodes.

25. mako3434 says:

He will be brilliant as Gloria. He’s just not quite as homely.

26. Martin Weiss says:

Did your sister get fired because she kept sending annoying get-rich-scheme emails from her company computer ?