‘Game of Thrones’ Actor on Shocking Finale: ‘I’m Dead. I’m Not Coming Back Next Season’

Warning: This story contains major spoilers for Sunday’s “Game of Thrones” finale.

In one of the most shocking TV moments in recent memory, “Game of Thrones” killed off one of its biggest stars on Sunday night. Jon Snow, or the bastard of Winterfell, was struck down by men of the Night’s Watch in a harrowing conclusion to the HBO drama’s fifth season.

Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, actor Kit Harington talked about his popular character, how fans of the show will react to Sunday’s gut-wrenching finale and whether or not the Lord Commander is actually dead.

“I kind of knew it was coming,” Harington said of the finale. “I didn’t read (George R.R. Martin’s novel) ‘A Dance with Dragons.’ But I read the other books and I had heard this is what happens.”

He added: “I will be really interested to see the audience reaction. I hope it’s not, ‘F–k yes, thank f–k he’s dead.'”

Harington said it was the show’s creators, David Benioff and Dan Weiss, who broke the news to him last year before production on the fifth season began.

“We did the Tony Soprano walk (tell an actor they’re going to die). And they said, ‘Look, you’re gone, it’s done.’

But what Harington didn’t realize is that Jon Snow’s death would be the final shot of the season.

“That made it extra special,” the actor said of the bloody mutiny, in which a band of Night’s Watch brothers stab Jon to death for being a “traitor” after joining forces with the enemy outfit the wildlings.

“I dunno, I loved it,” he said. “I loved how they brought Olly in to be the person who kills me. I love how the storyline with Thorne was wrapped up. I think it was really well crafted by (Benioff and Weiss). It felt like the right way for it to happen.”

He added, “We have to go by what ‘Thrones’ does. And ‘Thrones’ treats drama as real life. And people die and don’t accomplish what we think they’re meant to in real life. And I think that’s one of the powerful things about ‘Thrones’.

As for whether or not his character his really dead or if there’s a chance his wounds were not fatal and he returns, Harington said: “I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season. So that’s all I can tell you, really.”

The drama’s showrunners also insisted that he was gone: “Dead is dead,” Weiss told EW.

“We would hope that after seeing the scene and the way it’s shot that the answer to that will be unambiguous in the minds of the people watching it,” he explained. “It should be pretty clear what happens in by the time you’re done seeing that scene. It’s not an, ‘Oh what just happened scene?’”

The episode’s director, David Nutter, confirmed Jon Snow’s demise in similarly unflinching terms, telling Variety, “I can say emphatically that Jon Snow is definitely dead.”

But George R. R. Martin, author of the popular books that inspired the Emmy-winning series, has sprinkled some skepticism as to whether Snow’s fate is actually sealed on “Game of Thrones.”

“My readers should know better than to take anything as gospel,” he said in a 2011 interview. He added fuel to the fire in another interview this past year: “If there’s one thing we know in ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ is that death is not necessarily permanent,” he said, referring to the multiple resurrections of seemingly dead characters seen in the novels to date. Martin is currently writing the next book in the series, “The Winds of Winter.”

As for Harington, he’s already begun to turn the page: “I’m looking for movies for next year,” he said. “I’m in a very lucky place—I can turn things down and do what I want to do. There’s a couple movies I’m looking at, but I can’t really talk about them yet. I might take a holiday. I might try writing. I’m trying to figure it out.”

What should fans expect in the last few seasons of ‘Thrones’?

“I don’t know how they’re going to finish (it), but I think I’ve gone out on a great season,” Harington said. “I think they’ll have to end it with most epic f–k-all battle TV has ever seen.”

1. Shiva says:

Wouldn’t watch game of thrones if Jon snow is dead… khaleesi arc is so boring.. same with lannester. The only reason its interesting is because of snow monsters, little guy and jon

2. Alex says:

Sam would disagree with ya (; he said you always come back.

3. Bryan says:

Yeah so this article is pretty wrong, they all know he’s coming back they just want it to be a suprise.

4. john anders says:

if jon’s not having a bad dream i’m probably done I mean seriously killing all the good guys ‘ not even
    Stephen king does that .the books are looking better and better !!!!!!! kid creole34 post

5. steve says:

This reminds me of the show lost where the show writers sort of wrote themselves into a corner and could not write there way out and we know how badly that ended it’s really as sad as some of the all too gruesome story lines from the show I am done watching begrudgingly after five years because these people were too lazy to write an end to the story ahead of time. Instead they’re just trying to milk this money machine for all it’s worth by writing as they go it’s truly maddening to start watching something this compelling only to find out they only care about making money and not a good product

• Reality says:

The hell are you talking about? Don’t presume to know what the writers plans on, just because you don’t see it. Or can’t imagine one for yourself. That only proves your limitations, not others.

6. Terri says:

With the killing of Jon Snow, I Am Done watching!! It was bad enough when they killed off Rob & Caitlyn, but now one of the most kind-hearted characters of the whole show is gone! Jon and Ayra should have been reunited, since basically only her and Rob were the only main ones that accepted him as a brother! Now the show is truly lacking enough caring and nice characters to balance the good and bad out, definitely a HUGE mistake, it needed that great moral character that Jon Stark (and all the Starks for that matter) gave to the show! Why not let the good and moral character prevail to the end! Sad!

• Every time I look back at old comments like this and then think about what happened in the new season 6, episode 2 where *spoilers* Jon Snow came back to life *spoilers*, I laugh at the faithless who didn’t believe in the Azor Ahai prophecy.

7. Steve says:

Well I’ll tell you this much, if they seriously kill off Jon snow in the show and in the books then both the books and the show have lost all interest for me. Jon snow had way too many unanswered questions about him to the point of if they just say screw it to answering them then both the books and show are complete trash.

8. delo says:

Are you kidding me. A huge damn title. JON SNOW IS DEAD ACTOR, NOT COMING BACK
    By the way this article contains spoilers so don’t read it.

Really, really? did you guys think this trough are you doing this on puprose?

9. The CHARACTER of Jon Snow may be dead, for now – and next season, and Kit may surely not be back to recreate Jon, but that is not a definitive that Jon will not be back. There are way too many statements made by George R.R. Martin to believe that Jon is gone for good – one being the promise that Jon will discover the truth about his real parents. He can’t do that if he’s dead, now can he? I think it is more realistic that Jon will be brought back as Azor Ahai – the promised Prince, and most likely resurrected by Melisandre, the Red Priestess. The producers, GRRM, and Kit can be careful HOW they make these statements all they want but, those of us who have dissected the story backwards and forwards already know that Jon won’t stay dead, he will be transformed. So all you gals that have been weeping since Sunday night, dry your eyes! (But I do confess that I will miss Kit terribly in this role.)

• E Delarow says:

In all the comments about “Jon Snow will be back” I haven’t seen anything to give me hope that they will bring back “Kit Harrington.” HIS character Jon Snow is dead and Kit is gone. That I believe, much to the chagrin of myself and so many others. I am beginning to think that the Melisandre MAY be able to bring about Azor Ahai if Jon DID warg into his dire wolf but that the body could be of someone else, which in my opinion is a HUGE mistake. I understand the theory of bad things happen to everyone, and the shock value of killing off a favored character. To believe he will be back might be just what keeps us all returning to GOT only to be crestfallen when Kit Harrington doesn’t return. Either way, I honestly believe that they have killed off Kit’s Jon Snow character, but may be replacing him with a totally new actor playing Azor if one goes on the theory he warged into Ghost and Melisandre will put him into a new body. THAT upsets me more than him just being dead. Does anyone else think this might be the case?

10. HBOs hit series’ GAME OF THRONES…regarding Jon Snow..

You can’t possibly expect ppl to watch this now that Jon Snow is dead! Yes people will still wonder if the queen mother will finally meet a terrible end, however… There has not been one single good person kept alive that has such a story as Jon Snow! Jon Snow maybe dead but will he be reborn from fire? This will make me wonder to watch season 6! However if this doesn’t happen then I believe I’ll not watch it anymore! This is terrible

11. Lyra says:

He’s obviously not going to be dead forever, he’s such a vital character. There’s a theory that Lady Melisandre is going to revive him, you should google it.

12. Maggie says:

Can I just point out that when you read an article about Bryan Cranston joining game of thrones, it mentions that he has been cast as an assassin hired to kill John snow. I’m pretty sure that means John snow is not dead.

13. David Benjamin says:

You’re wasting your time and effort.

14. Nicole says:

Actually he does come back.. The red headed lady brings him back, just like the “lord of light” brought the other guy back numerous times

15. Nicole says:

Could someone tell martin to stop fame seeking and get back to his damn job since 2012 we’ve been waiting on this book. HBO gives him a pretty contract and now its like he’s totally forgotten what got him to where he is now. FINISH THE DAMN BOOKS ALREADY!!!! At this point we’ll know the ending thinks to hbo instead of martin might as well sign the whole concept and let them do with it what they want they’re already taking a dozen “creative” liberties.

16. With Sam going to become a Maester in both the books and the show there’s no POV up at the Wall besides Jon’s. We wouldn’t know what the hell is going on up there without him. Yeah, GRRM could introduce someone else but it would be some nobody and wouldn’t have the same effect that Jon and Sam did. In his original letter about the series too (if it was real and although quite a bit, meaning like 90% of it, has changed) it stated two big things: one, that in the last book (when it was originally supposed to be 3 books) Jon’s true parentage would be revealed; and two, Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Arya, and Bran would survive to the end. Call me crazy but each of those people belong to main subplots within the whole series so I believe it. As for seeing into the past with Bran I think that is how Jon’s parentage is going to be revealed. But I find it oddly coincidental (*wink wink*) that Mellisandre showed up at the Wall the day before Jon was killed. I do think she’ll bring him back which technically would release him from his Night’s Watch vows, which could lead him to be the Prince that was Promised/Azor Ahai…etc. Kit Harrington himself said in an interview after the episode that Melissandre tried to seduce Jon that she had an affinity towards bastards with noble blood (like Gendry) and that was the only interaction they’ve had since. It seems genuinely illogical to kill him off with so many unanswered questions that Jon is the key to.

• That Bran part was about him possibly coming into his powers in season 6 and it has been brought up that he may be able to see into the past using Weirwood trees. Some younger actors have been called in for casting and it seemed like they were to play young Ned and possible young Robert.

17. The fact that they are really pushing it super hard that “dead is dead” makes me realize that most fans believe he will come back and the showrunners are desperately trying to revert that idea for dramatic effect. I cant imagine Kit Harrington being let go, but it appears he has been. Hmm curious. Makes me think Jon’s physical transformation will be very drastic. Will Jon as we know him become his wolf or maybe even a White Walker?

• David Benjamin says:

Warg with Ghost

• David Benjamin says:

Or resurrected by Melisandre, a la Beric Dondarrion, and reborn as Azor Ahai! So, to all those ‘I’m done with GoT..don’t get your panties in a bunch. It ain’t over yet.

18. mm says:

There will be some metrics to find out if the public will watch the show without Jon- and I guess it will. The whole GOT tells us they can introduce new characters (Prince of Dorne) that can quickly become loved ones, if they are to do what the public feels is right (prove Tyron is innocent). The thing is – will Jon the resurrected be the same as the living Jon -being potentially resurrectable, as that guy who is the allusion for Robin Hood (the one that the red priest constantly resurrects), might hurt the lovability of Jon and diminish the magnitude of his decisions as a leader.
    In general things slowed down in the fifth season- there wasn’t a major conflict in Westeros, so no powerful leader has emerged plus there is the thing with the Inquisition. Obviously this will help the white walkers to enter beyond the wall- after all the Watch is just a watch not an army – the wildlings almost managed to beat it and they were weaker than the undead. I am looking forward to see how the story unravels- the plot thickens and there are plenty of nice characters left alive.

19. Nankin says:

I hope Martin didn’t okay this murdering of the most influencial and important character, Jon Snow, of the GoT series! I am SOOO done with GoT with the death of Jon. Hey, I was depressed when the Prince of Dorn died, but that was for a cause (to save Tyrion), but the character was fantastic. And then when the Starks were killed, I was just way too bummed, but I GOT it! Jon Snow? Dead? So stupid I can’t believe it happened, and won’t be around to watch Tyrion be killed off as well. There are only SO many decent, moral, upright (not to mention beautiful) characters on this show, and you just got rid of the best of them. David is a Nutter alright! I will wait for the book, and if Jon doesn’t die in that, I’ll continue to read GoT. Idiots.

20. Jon Snow is dead, FOREVER!! Read z book.

TV ratings will PLUMMET into THE ABYSS, this show is NOW FINISHED!!

21. David Caelli says:

guys, he admitted ‘he’s dead, and he isn’t coming back for season 6’.. he never said he wasn’t coming back at all.. if you’ve picked up on any of the clues you’d realise not only on who his REAL biological parents are (he’s not Eddard’s son), and that he has to return.. and that it was nessesary to die.. because no one can leave the nights watch, but through death.. and the chosen one of the prophesy one will be reborn (resurrected, think about it). If you remember Beric Dondarrion (the male priest of the lord of light – same series as the Red Wedding) was resurrected several times through prayer to the Lord of Light. Now which God’s priestess just so happened to enter Castle Black the very morning before he got stabbed repeatedly. Think about it. More evidence is that no one has seen Bran all season too, so why should jon’s resurrection be any different..

• EXACTLY!!! I just posted the same thing on another site… It actually makes less sense to kill him off… Yes, he’s “dead” but that doesn’t mean he can’t be resurrected/brought back to life. Not returning for season 6, he never said he wasn’t returning at all. There’s supposed to be 7 seasons total (one for each book) so I have said multiple times that he’s not gone for good. Like someone else said, they’re stressing that he’s dead so much because people genuinely aren’t believing it and they still want eh wow factor for when he returns. This happens in the book too. And like in the show as it is with the book, with Sam gone, Jon is the only POV on the Wall. Yeah they could get someone else but it wouldn’t have the same effect at Jon or Sam. I agree with you 100%!!!!

• Diesel says:

your right – cause how will they know if winter is coming or not

• Daniel says:

I agree with you 100%. It’s no coincidence that Melisandra made it back to Castle Black right before it all happened…She will end up bringing Jon back to life on season 7! I bet money on that! And Im sure Ghost will have a part to play in his return!

22. Alex says:

Why would they kill Jon Snow and all bitch made like that too,makes me wanna kill that little kid! Aaarggggg! He cant be dead! GOT = garbage without Jon snow wow! Hes coming back somehow sam will do some magic and resurrect him or something!

23. Larry says:

I think that if he is, as i have heard, one of the only 3 surviving targarians then maybe he will be a dragon riding white walker :)

24. LInda says:

Everyone is going by this Entertainment Weekly interview with Kit Harrington as proof of final death lol.. That interview was posted on June 14th Sunday right after the show aired on the East Coast.. so that means that interview was given before the show aired. If what he said was the truth no way would he have given an interview stating Jon was dead BEFORE the show aired. Non-Disclosure people. IF he gave that interview, it was with the producer’s blessing and that just means its to throw us off. There is such secrecy on that set with the scripts how could he have told an entertainment magazine what was going to happen?

25. Brmst40 says:

You dopes saying “I’m done, I cancelled HBO today, no more GOT” are one liars, and two not fooling anybody. 95 percent of you saying this; will be back, guaranteed, and the numbers will reflect it. It’s a show, get a grip, venting and “threatening” to leave the show on a post board is laughable, and nobody with any power to change what your soooo upset about is looking here for feedback!!!! See all of you LIARS next season.

26. WinterIsComing says:

Kit says he is not coming back next season. He never states he is not coming back to the show. Having read the books there is more to his death than what was shown on TV. You don’t get to hear the inner dialogue. Plus, as someone stated earlier, why would George put so much effort into giving us clues who Jon’s parents are only to kill him off? Jon will be back either resurrected through blood magic or through warging into Ghost as many book readers are predicting. Or maybe Olly since Olly is the last word he says on the show as where in the books he says Ghost.

• Diesel says:

I am going to warg into my dog and record the event for youtube to raise $1 000 000 for the return of Jon Snow.

If this fails then I will haunt the directors forever. There will be no escape from my malice as an underground dire-chiuuahua.

27. aowyn69 says:

Well…except for tyrion, but I won’t subscribe just for him lol

28. wyn says:

I cancelled my HBO subscription yesterday, there’s just no one left on GOT I really care about

29. Bill Turner says:

I have never missed a show but when they killed off Jon Snow I dropped HBO and have no desire to see another show without his character.

30. Danielle slender says:

Game of thrones will be nothing without Jon snow!

31. Visions Lin says:

Most likely gave him the year off as with Bran, those salaries are getting pretty high, and there are so many people on this show and costs are high…..don’t see how they can kill him off permanently since a lot of the original storyline on his parentage is what got those writers their jobs in figuring it out, as they said in interviews…..and that hasn’t been resolved yet. Bet him and Dany get married and rule the 7 kingdoms together after it is revealed who his mother was, and that they are simply cousins or something. But last season moved at a snail’s pace actually….and never did understand why they never really developed either the Dorne characters very well, or Myrsella either….or even Tommen. And Margery was out the entire season also after the first few episodes. Really lost me toward the end.

32. Carol says:

If u kill him off I’m done

33. Gary Gray says:

Okay. He’s dead. But so was the guy in the cave who was resurrected by (what was it?) blood magic and the queen of blood magic is within seconds of him at the Wall as far as I know.

34. Todd says:

Believe the King White Walker may have something to say about Jon Snow being gone forever!!!!!!!

35. Aegon says:

To all of you screaming “fuck HBO” you do realize this was IN THE BOOK.. Everyone that read the books knew this was coming. Didn’t make it any easier to watch though.

• Katrina says:

The way the book left it there was still hope. Honestly of all the deaths of beloved characters, this one is the worst because it is so counterintuitive. It makes the plotline he was the focus of for so long seem pointless and futile now. I just feel like it’s a huge mistake.

‘Thrones’ treats drama as real life…I think that’s where the show is not powerful as Harrington said, but lacking and disappointing. Many of us watch movies and TV shows and read books to get away from the banality and injustices of real life. From the beginning of time people have passed down all kinds of epic tales where even if the hero dies, he or she at least gets to do whatever makes them a hero first. That quality of completeness is what satisfies the audience…it motivates them to keep going and pursue a dream and pacifies them if they cannot…by allowing them to live vicariously through the “hero”. ‘Thrones’ has dismantled that dynamic, especially here. The dialogue/acting/scenery etc is brilliant but in many ways I walk away from episodes feeling unfulfilled. Jon Snow, for me, was what finally killed it for me. I’ll still watch because I’m a self-proclaimed drooling fangirl of Lena Headey, but I’m officially apathetic to the show itself. Sadness. :(

• LInda says:

HBO has changed many things from the book. There is no guarantee they will keep to what George RR Martin intended.

• Karen says:

I agree, except sometimes a story needs a martyr. Someone who is so important that his/her death changes the course of history, even making the death be what the person was born for. Look what the death of Jesus did for the world. So, even though I am really, really upset about Jon Snow’s demise, I am interested to see what the aftermath will be and how his death will effect the chain of events. I’m hoping he will be resurrected eventually. But, if he is, he might not be the Jon Snow we all love and adore, anymore.

36. Mike says:

Jon Snow is a disgrace with the language he uses.

37. Is every character going to be killed off in such a ridiculous way?

38. Sean Kudulis says:

When Weiss tells EW “Dead is Dead”, does anyone else think he may actually be referring to book one of A Song of Ice and Fire series, A Game of Thrones, where in the prologue it states “He was an old man, past fifty, and he had seen the lordlings come and go. ‘Dead is dead,’ he said”. This to me seems possible, to make the viewers and readers feel upset with Jon’s passing only to make his return that much sweeter. This maybe a cryptic message to hide the fact that the show has displayed resurrection before and he wants to keep this big one a secret for everyone.

39. Jeny says:

All they wanna do is kill all our fav. characters and killing Jon this way was bizarre , feels like they killed the hero and I am sure he is not coming back as neither Ned nor Catelyn Stark did when everyone was making speculations about the Lady Stone heart’s return .

40. Jon Snow is dead – What about Azor Ahai? ;)

41. Nick says:

People are so made over this. You should know that 1, HBO didn’t write the show, so blame the book not them. And 2, you should know after just the first season that no one is safe.

42. mike says:

Just called and canceled HBO. I don’t think Tyrion is enough to keep watching. There are no characters left I actually want to follow except Tyrion lannister. They made a mistake of not building any good leads before they killed him. Well Arya Stark and the other seer crippled Stark kid “whose name eludes me,” but they didn’t give enough time for their characters to come full circle. Nope, still not enough to keep me gripped white knuckled to my seat. I was waiting impatiently for this season to start from the end of last season, but I just no longer see a point. I’ll wait a few years to it to hit netflix. Oh well, time to find a new obsession.

43. Ann Stark says:

Jon is coming back. He always comes back!!

44. Melinda says:

I am also not coming back. Done with this show.

45. Taleshia says:

well since they kill off Jon Snow I’m no longer a fan I’m through with game of the wrong

46. Fendera says:

Jon Snow is dead, after all he did…. WORST ENDING EVER! GO F*** you HBO! I’m done with Game of Thrones

47. Jon says:

To quote Roose Bolton, “If you think there is a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.” That pretty much describes all of GOT.

• vance says:

actually- it was Ramsey Bolton- although he was Ramsey Snow when he said it to Theon Greyjoy, while he was on the way to becoming Reek.

48. Jake says:

If Jon Snow is truly dead, I will not watch the next season.

49. Angela says:

If Jon Snow truly is dead, then I have to say it was the worst season finale ever. His storyline could have gone so much further-what a huge disappointment for fans of Jon Snow & the show. Epic fail. Boo!!!!!