‘Fashion Police’ to Return with New Co-Host Melissa Rivers (EXCLUSIVE)

Melissa Rivers Fashion Police
Getty/Christopher Polk

Fashion Police” will return to E! this August with Melissa Rivers, Variety has learned exclusively.

Giuliana Rancic and Brad Goreski are also set to return with Rivers, who will continue her exec producer duties on the show as she takes the seat of her late mother, Joan Rivers. The new format will also include two rotating chairs, featuring two different celebrity guests with the trio each episode.

The series kicks off August 31 with coverage of the MTV Video Music Awards, and will run for six episodes through the end of the year.

“As an executive producer since the beginning, Melissa helped shape ‘Fashion Police’ into an iconic TV series that couples fashion with comedy,” said Jeff Olde, exec VP of programming and development for E! on Wednesday. “We are pleased to now also feature Melissa in front of the ‘Fashion Police’ cameras, as she joins returning panelists Giuliana and Brad. And with the added flavor of rotating panelists, the show will deliver fresh, different and unpredictable fashion reviews with each new episode.”

Rivers commented, “I’m very excited to be given the opportunity to continue to work with my E! and ‘Fashion Police’ family.”

The news follows a talent shakeup surrounding the fashion commentary show, after panelist Kelly Osbourne exited, only soon to be mirrored by host Kathy Griffin, who stepped in after Rivers‘ death.

Osbourne’s exit in February of this year came after a controversy on the show’s Oscars episode, in which Rancic made comments about Disney actress Zendaya‘s appearance, saying her dreadlocked hairstyle at the award show likely “smells like patchouli oil” or “weed,” which was understood by some to be racially insensitive, including the starlet, who fired back on social media. Since then, Rancic apologized, and Zendaya responded positively.

During a live telecast of “E! News,” the anchor said, “I want to apologize for a comment I made on last night’s ‘Fashion Police’ about Zendaya’s hair. As you know, ‘Fashion Police’ is a show that pokes fun at celebrities in good spirit, but I do understand that something I said last night did cross the line. I just want everyone to know, I didn’t intend to hurt anybody. But I’ve learned it’s not my intent that matters, it’s the result, and the result is that people are offended, including Zendaya, and that is not OK. Therefore, I want to say to Zendaya, and anyone else out there that I have hurt, that I am so, so sincerely sorry. This really has been a learning experience for me.”

After Osbourne left, Griffin followed suit and abruptly departed the show with just seven episodes under her belt. She made her announcement on Twitter, citing body shaming as one of the reasons for her exit. She later admitted on Howard Stern’s SiriusXM show that she “probably shouldn’t have taken the gig.”

“When I chose to step into the shoes of my beloved friend Joan Rivers at ‘Fashion Police,’ I was thrilled to continue her legacy as a woman being brash and eccentric on television,” Griffin tweeted in March. “I thought I could bring my brand of humor to ‘Fashion Police’ so that beautiful people in beautiful dresses could be teased when appropriate. My brand of humor, while unrepentant and unafraid, is all about context. There is plenty to make fun of in pop culture without bringing people’s bodies into it…I do not want to use my comedy to contribute to a culture of unattainable perfectionism and intolerance towards difference. I want to help women, gay kids, people of color and anyone who feels underrepresented to have a voice and a laugh.”

After both Osbourne’s and Griffin’s exits, much speculation arose regarding the series’ future, but the cabler announced “Fashion Police” would go on hiatus until September when the panel show would return with Rancic and Goreski for the next chapter.

Prior to working on “Fashion Police” together in front of and behind the camera, Rivers and her mother created E!’s red carpet franchise. The mother/daughter duo also starred in four seasons of their own reality show “Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?” on WEtv.

“Fashion Police” is produced by Wilshire Studios. Rivers and Lisa Bacon are exec producers.

“Fashion Police” premieres on E! on Monday, August 31.

1. Erlinda says:

When is Fashion Police coming back? The show has not been on TV for awhile now, are they finished for good?

2. Terri says:

Where is the closed captioning?

3. Erlinda says:

I love Giuliani, I’m glad she’s alright; after all the nasty and untrue comments about her. Keep your head up, you’re gorgeous and very fashionable, I will keep watching Fashion Police, glad you’re back.

4. Mary says:

I’m happy that Guiliana and Brad are back. I think they know fashion and are a classy asset to the show. Ever since Joan died Guiliana has become funnier. I don’t understand all of the horrible comments on here about her weight and looks. She has explained her inability to put on weight, I think we should just accept her explanation and drop it.

5. Dorothy says:

To quote a fashion police comment “i love love love ” the new format. I am sure Joan would be proud. Great job, Melissa!

6. lori richards says:

I loved it!!! Southern Missouri. ..says..”very much miss you Joan”….-thanks…Melissa…u did u r mom good….

7. Tess Courtney says:

I was excited to see the return of Fashion Police. But please take Nene off.Her first remarks have me wanting to change the channel.

8. Jessica Renee says:

They should of gotten rid of Rancic she’s neither funny nor fashionable! I cringe every time I watch her…she needs to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. GoFashion Police says:

This is fantastic!!! I am so glad that the red headed unfunny she-male is gone!!!! I’m glad the racist purple parrot Osborne is also gone!!!! She is sooooo hypocritical. This show will return in all its glory and I can’t wait. Although Brad is an idiot and needs to go too.

10. jeff says:

Has anyone noticed that rancic is wearing extensions all the time now? I wonder how many hookers had to have their heads shaved so that rancic could have long hair and if she smells like stale booze and oppression?

11. Ellie says:

First and foremost I was never a fan of Joan Rivers, especially in the later yrs. when she became more foul mouthed and rude to people all in the name of comedy. Although , she did make that show.

Melissa has some big shoes to fill and I think she will do well. In regards to Giuliana Rancic, well, she used to be quite a nice lady, but, since being on Fashion Police with Joan , she has followed in the steps of becoming a trashy talking no body. We’ will see what happens.

12. Melissa has a huge shoe to step into, I’m sure she will do her best to meet up to expectations and keep her mother’s legacy alife

13. Joel says:

PLEASE, PLEASE let Joan’s GREAT & SUPERIOR work REST-IN-PEACE with her. This will be a HUGE disaster…. That homely child has NOT one drop of talent!

14. maylavinia says:

BAD idea. Just because she could name herself, does not mean she should have. Melissa did NOT inherit the comedy gene. Joan held her up completely during their exchanges. It was always painfully obvious Melissa is not funny. No one on that show is funny. Let it die!

15. AJ says:

Fashion Bully’s – Why , why, why is this program even allowed ? If they could have a show that discussed fashion, I am all-in. but all they like to do is make fun of people …NO- Comedians do not get a pass to BULLY !

16. Sarah Terry says:

This show is so over – and that’s OK! You can’t go back home again, let it go!!! It was not constructive in anyway and was very hurtful in many other ways. This is the kind of thing that keeps bullying going and I think it’s a terrible show. I love learning about fashion, but I can so do without the hurtful and hateful comments. Waste of time.

17. David Xi says:

The show was Joan. Let it go……

18. Oh please! Just end the darn thing. What does she know about fashion, she’s a producer for crying out loud.

WHO DIDN’T SEE THAT COMING?

19. blake says:

I can’t watch if Melissa Rivers is a host. I have never been able to stand her on anything except her reality show with her mom. She is only famous because of her mother and she has no reason to judge others on fashion. I’m not trying to be mean just honest. I used to watch Fashion Police and I like Guiliana but I won’t watch if Melissa is a host, she’s great as a producer only.

20. Corey says:

Glad to see Guiliana coming back, so many stupid people blew this out of proportion. Zendaya is still a nobody and is far from important! This show is about comedy, all stars and celebs can get it. Hope Zendaya will go play in traffic for blowing this up into a scandal when this whole thing is a non story.

• blake says:

Yeah screw Zandaya, what the hell is she famous for anyway? I think she was only on a Disney show.

• jeff says:

um, zendaya was on dwts and crushed it. She got the highest cumulative scores for the season and made it to the finals.

21. Cindy Halpern says:

Stacy London should be on Fashion Police.

22. me says:

LOL @ Variety: in what universe is this an “EXCLUSIVE”? It’s all over the frickin’ internet.

23. brandy says:

rancic needs to go

24. Linda says:

NOT THE STUPID LYING 1SKELETON, ALSO ??
    THAT’S IT, I’M DONE & OUT IF THEY ARE THAT DESPERATE. !!!! 1

25. Cat says:

I don’t get why don’t they have more than 1 person on the panel with actual professional fashion training? Instead, its just their opinion of what they like. . .???

• blake says:

I agree. Melissa Rivers definitely has nothing to do with fashion. Why would we trust the fashion advice of someone that dresses like a soccer mom?

26. Diane Flibotte says:

I am very happy about the return of the show Melissa will be wonderful it is what mom would want her to do good luck Melissa

27. Francisco Gonçalves Xavier says:

cuidado com seu encantador de serpentes,hoje sem flauta.

28. anne says:

Griffin thinks her comments are ‘brash and eccentric’? She’s filthy and mean-spirited. I make it a point now never to watch any show she’s on.

• blake says:

Yeah and after the way Kathy Griffin and Kelly Osbourne threw Guiliana under the bus I have no respect for them. Not that I had much to begin with.

29. Maycee says:

What a horrible premise for a show. Mock, bully, bitch and criticize other people’s clothes. Pathetic. Take this trash off the air.

30. voice of reason says:

Ummmmmm……. nobody on this panel is funny. Not a good idea. And yes, sign that wga contract. Really gonna need incredible writers

31. yes_melissa says:

Yip, Yip, Yip, Yipee!!!

32. Mel says:

Melissa, sign a WGA contract for your writers or get lost. (either way this will be cancelled)