Miss USA Loses Cheryl Burke, Thomas Roberts as Co-Hosts

Miss USA pageant
Stacy Revere/Getty

[UPDATED] Miss Universe has been dealt two more blows in the wake of the Donald Trump controversy.

“Dancing with the Stars” dancer and choreographer Cheryl Burke and MSNBC host Thomas Roberts have pulled out as co-hosts of the July 12 Miss USA pageant.

Burke cited NBC’s previous decision to pull the event due to its connection with the real estate mogul-turned-presidential candidate who is currently battling negative reactions to comments he made about immigration.

“In light of the recent statements made by Donald Trump and the subsequent decision by NBC to cut ties with Mr. Trump, I cannot in good conscience move forward with participating in this year’s Miss USA pageant as its co-host,” Burke said in a statement. “Effective today I have withdrawn from my duties with Miss USA. Although I will not be there in person, I wish all of the contestants much luck as I know how hard they’ve all been working over the last year to try and realize their dreams.”

A NBC spokesperson also confirmed that Roberts, a veteran host of the ceremony, would also be departing.

“Best of luck to all #MissUSA2015 contestants this year & THX to the good people behind the scenes @MissUniverse – been a joy working w/you!,” the MSNBC host Tweeted.

Roselyn Sanchez and Cristian De La Fuente, who would have hosted Univision’s Spanish-language simulcast of the ceremony, pulled out last week. (Univision bowed out the day after).

Roberts and Burke’s departures come on the same day that NBC said it would air an “American Ninja Warrior” special on the night it was originally scheduled to air Miss USA. The three-hour special will be the show’s second annual “USA vs. the World” extravaganza, in which top competitors from the hot Monday series “American Ninja Warrior” go head to head with competitors from Japan and Europe. Last year’s “USA vs. the World” special in mid-September delivered a potent 1.9 rating in adults 18-49 despite facing tough reality show competition, including the season premiere of ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars.”

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 9

Leave a Reply

9 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Jenna says:

    Terrible co hosts- glad they left nobody knows who they are sic of Cheryl Burke she’s too old.

  2. susan says:

    …and this is news because?

  3. Theorbist Steve says:

    Just like McDonalds. I’m loving it.

  4. David Benjamin says:

    Looks like the Trump ship is starting to sink..steadily. I’m..comfortable with that. Donald Trump is a pompous, venal blowhard. He loves the sound of his own voice. And his “political aspirations ” were doomed from the moment he put his foot in his mouth.

    • Michael Anthony says:

      And now comes word he is suing Univision for $500m. That’s how much “damage” was inflicted upon him. Ha! I thought the GOP was firmly for tort reform? Guess they are, UNLESS they are the “injured” party.

      • David Benjamin says:

        I read that earlier. even if Univision is guilty of breach of contract, don’t they and NBC have the right to countersue Trump back..ON THE EXACT SAME GROUNDS? This will make for an interesting legal battle. I hope they clean his arrogant windbag ass out

    • Stella says:

      He has totally ruined his brand.

More TV News from Variety

Loading