‘Degrassi’ Ending This Summer After 14 Seasons

degrassi cancelled
Courtesy of Teen Nick

“Degrassi: The Next Generation” will officially wrap after 14 seasons with its series finale this summer on TeenNick, the cabler announced Thursday.

The Canadian teen drama, which debuted in 2001, will close with a two-week finale event, kicking off with an hourlong special July 20, followed by new episodes each day of the week, ending on July 31 with the final episode.

“For an incredible 14 seasons, ‘Degrassi’ has been a groundbreaking show tackling so many important topics that real teens face in their everyday lives,” said Keith Dawkins, SVP and general manager, Nicktoons, TeenNick and Nick Jr. “In the final episodes on TeenNick and through the hour-long special and social activations, we hope to say goodbye in a way that is both fitting to the show and ‘Degrassi’s’ passionate fan base.”

“Degrassi” exec producer Stephen Stohn commented, “Few producers are as blessed as we have been, working with so many talented and creative individuals at TeenNick for 14 seasons of ‘Degrassi;’ including 385 episodes and over 100 pieces of original short-form web content. We thank all those at TeenNick who have worked so hard over the years to help us create a television series that changes with the times and continues to authentically connect and interact with the youth audience.”

Many stars got their start on “Degrassi” including “90210” alum Shanae Grimes, “Vampire Diaries'” Nina Dobrev and rapper Drake.

Leading into the July 31 series finale, another hourlong special, titled “It Goes There: Degrassi’s Most Talked About Moments,” will welcome cast members, creators and fans to talk about the series best moments.

1. Sara says:

Degassi: Next Class will be on nexflix on Jan 15 2016

2. Soyal says:

Degrassi is an amazing show, watched it from the very beginning, The Kids of Degrassi Street. Unfortunately it has been going down hill for years, and lost what it had.

3. janna says:

it is going to netflix in 2016

4. amber says:

I’m not to worried about it I’ve found a ton of articles like the link above that just says degrassi is moving to a new network. I hope so at least this gives us hope!

• JustJohn says:

The only thing with that is, it’s already been bumped to several different networks/channels over the past number of years — it’s unlikely to get picked up by another one as there really isn’t anywhere left for it to go. I’m know I’m old to be commenting on a teen show (I’ll be 42 next month), but I started watching Degrassi back in the 80’s when I was a teen and absolutely loved it; when it came back in ’01, I watched again and have been with it through thick and thin over the past decade and a half. It’s gotten a little bogged down, but maybe a respite of a few years (like it had before) could freshen it up and it could return in the 2020’s with an even edgier approach and new cast/overhaul. Until then, Degrassi is still one of the best shows, overall, for teens that’s ever been on, and we can always enjoy the many seasons from 1979-2015, in all of it’s incarnations. :)

• I wish they would let the show keep going because it has gone so far ALL the actors know what they are doing but obviously Stephen stohn doesn’t for letting the show come to a end Ex. 😣🔫

• Amanda says:

I agree. I have learned so much from this show and im sad its ending. I would love to continue watching it if it comes back on. Degrassi is one of a few shows that have lasted as long as Degrassi has. I hope they do continue it with the underclassmen as well.

5. Shiraz says:

I’m soooooooo sad. This is my childhood television show!

6. If anyone is interested.. look up the show Between. Adam,Jake,Jak from the show are on there so far that I have seen. It’s not the same but at least it’s something :l I knew something was up when I started watching Between, sure enough Degrassi is cancelled… I’m so sad :’c

7. Tunde says:

Yea apparently this is all just a bunch of hoohah. Kevin Smith tweeted June 9 that Degrassi is just moving to Netflix and is definitely alive and well for more seasons to come.

8. Degrassiforlife says:

This is too depressing

9. ejknight says:

I’ve gone through countless boxes of tissues while watching this show. No. Not from crying…

10. judisunshine says:

I’m 40 years old in two months, yet devastated by this news.

11. Someone needs to be fired. Skraight up dawg.

12. Chrisha says:

Ive been watching Degrassi since the 80s. Maybe I’m too old for it now, but it just feels like such a huge part of my life. I’ll be sad to see it go.

13. marsha marz says:

degrassi is cancelled because it never cared truly about its audience — it followed the same formula for years randomly — the show focused on issues that were socially correct but not real issues for teens– yeah — there are teens who are gay, transgender but most teens –even those– are into relationships and real issues — this school was always so elitest – it missed the point more than it made it story for teens

14. This is just ONE article of MANY… please do your research before becoming a pathetic net bully and attempting to play games.
    Other articles state… “this is not the end, Degrassi is only leaving TeenNick and, will be PRODUCED (keyword there little darlings) on a US network.

Anyway… moving on.

I agree, it has been a household name… especially here.. for many reasons.

Have a great day!

15. if you read the article you’d know it has been cancelled. after all the originals grew up and left the show went down hill from there.

16. I don’t think people are paying attention… The show is just switching networks.. it’s not gone for ever… Chillax… though, I will be looking forward to watching the run with my family.

• kyler32291 says:

Actually, it is cancelled. Season 14 will be the final one. Do some research.

• Amanda says:

What channel is it going to be on?

• Liz says:

Season 15 starts in a week. “Degrassi” continues, it just won’t be on Teen Nick in the US anymore. Kevin Smith just tweeted about it. This article is inaccurate.

• Ari says:

All, if not most, of the sources I’ve seen online say it is being cancelled. Not only that, but why would every single one of them, including this very website you chose to comment on, say it is going to be cancelled if it truly wouldn’t?

• sweetie, i did my research. go talk down to someone who cares.

17. Canadagraphs says:

Congrats to the Degrassi franchise for its exceptionally long run (by Canadian show standards).
    I still vividly remember the Original Degrassi series back in the 80s.
    Knowing television, this will be reborn in 4 to 10 years somewhere.

18. Nichell says:

Please tell me theres going to be a reunion of some sort! i need my ashley, jimmy, paige, emma, manny, craig, sean, etc. fix

19. I am very sad to say goodbye to Degrassi because that show helped me through my hardest moments.. Even more Eli character. i loved this show so much and i know every show must come to a end but i thought i was long from hearing it was ending. This show saved me in many ways i started this show from high school 10th grade and i started in season 10 .. And with just five year Degrassi changed my life and i owe them the world .. when i felt alone i would watch Degrassi and feel happy and i am heart broken to have to say good bye to a world wide show .. but i had a great five year of my life so thank you to the producers of degrassi for making this five years the greatest of my life and i will lead off a video saying my good byes to degrassi .. love all the cast members that changed my life .. DEGRASSI I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE <3 <3

20. Kayla says:

I’m very sad to hear that Degrassi: The Next generation is ending. I started watching this show in high school and now I am 27 years old. This show really helped me learn different issues teenagers face during those years. And I can’t imagine what it will be like without a show like this. This is and always has been one of my favorite shows on Teen Nick and the former channel The N. I think it is a very good show especially for young teens! It will not be the same without it but hopefully the season finale will be better than ever! I’m looking forward to the new season coming back on again after waiting for a while. I will defiantly miss it when there is no more Degrassi. :(

21. emily says:

Dude but Claire just got pregnant and Eli is a daddy :(

22. Jessica says:

Aw come on! I just got back into it. I watched from season 1 all the way to season 8. Stopped watching until a few months ago. I caught myself all the way to the finale of last season. Now you’re telling me it’s ending?!

23. sarah says:

omfg nooooo!! :( :O :( been watching since season 1 at age 12 :( i’m 25 now. Even went back & watched a couple episodes from the original degrassi series! I mean don’t get me wrong I completely understand why they made this decision, the show was pretty much neverending, but god damn it i loved my neverending Degrassi!!! I was just getting back into watching it too :( :( sooo sad! Nick Cannon is the one who runs Teennick right? F that dude! He better watch his back from all of us Degrassi lovers ;( seriously. Had to go to the emergency room for an asthma attack in thee middle of the night, now this?!? Dude, what did i do? :( :( RIP Degrassi, we made it through my teens years together & i guess that’s good enough with me :( ha

24. ashley says:

You put “in clouding” instead of “including” for the part talking about Degrassi alums.

25. Stephanie says:

I don’t want it to be over that’s my favorite show

26. LD says:

This news is very bittersweet. I grew up watching the original Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High series that debuted in the late 1980’s. I continued to watch Degrassi: The Next Generation as well as this current series, even though I had outgrown much of the teen subject matter. This was a great show, not only for tackling REAL teen issues and not being afraid to include some very serious and controversial topics, but also for casting actors who could actually pass as typical high school students. (as opposed to the overly glamorous, high fashion size 0 trend seen in many other teen shows). I am saddened to see the series coming to a close, as I feel that every adolescent could benefit from watching Degrassi – I know I sure did.