Starz Ending ‘Da Vinci’s Demons’ After Third Season

DaVinci's Demons cancelled
Courtesy of Starz

Starz has announced that season three will be the last for “Da Vinci’s Demons,” creator David S. Goyer’s historical fantasy series that focuses a young and tormented Leonardo da Vinci in Renaissance-era Florence.

The final season, which will premiere at 8 p.m. on Oct. 24, shows da Vinci (played by Tom Riley) witnessing his personal inventions being employed by Ottoman invaders during the battle of Otranto. John Shiban serves as showrunner. The drama is produced by Adjacent Productions.

“While ending Leonardo’s journey is bittersweet for me, I’m happy we’re ending the story on a high note. Leonardo was famous for his mirror-writing, and there’s a symmetry to the entire series — between the first episode and the final one — that I think the maestro would have appreciated,” said Goyer. “I want to thank our dedicated fans around the world for viewing and engaging with such passion. I want to thank Starz for joining me on this crazy romp. And I want to thank Tom Riley for turning in a consistently brilliant performance. It’s no small feat to portray a genius, but Tom did it with grace and humor. I hope everyone enjoys these final episodes as much as we enjoyed making them.”

The cancellation comes at an interesting time for the premium cabler. Starz is currently drawing a sizable audience for its Saturday night drama “Power,” whose second season is averaging nearly 2 million viewers in Nielsen’s “live-plus 3” estimates. Another good performer, “Outlander,” averaged about 1.8 million viewers in “live-plus 3” for its first season, which wrapped in late May. New series “Ash vs. Evil Dead,” which brings Bruce Campbell back as his famous chainsaw-wielding hero, and the Patrick Stewart starrer “Blunt Talk” are also gaining buzz.

“The steadfast fans of ‘Da Vinci’s Demons’ have been asking about the next installment of this story, and we’re excited to roll it out. David Goyer brought us a plan to portray the unknown early years of a genius, and we think the fans will enjoy this final chapter which segues into the da Vinci that history knows. John Shiban has done a tremendous job of building on past seasons and by showing how da Vinci matures as his challenges grow,” said Starz managing director Carmi Zlotnik.

1. James says:

This is my favorite show on television and you want to end this early. Wow…

2. I box set binged the 1+2 series twice.
    I am so happy there will be a 3rd. Leaving my reading to none series 3 as I don’t want any spoilers.
    However , is it going to be aired on Fox on sky tv??? Do you also mean it will be aired Oct 2016?
    Looking forward to it immensely …I never thought history could be so enjoyable. Please keep up the fantastic work…Thank you .

3. I am extremely saddened that Starz decided to cancel Da Vinci’s Demons in favour of what they consider, more female friendly shows such as Outlander. As a female, I would rather watch this incredibly clever series, where I feel that I have not only just learned a little but left me wanting to learn more. It’s funny, well acted, beautiful to watch AND educational. Don’t get me wrong, I LIKE Outlander, its good, the scenery is gorgeous, wonderful costumes and they are cute, I have read the books and loved them. I will be buying Da Vinci’s Demons on DVD as I end up Googling facts throughout most of the show. I want shows that leave me wanting to know the characters more, the facts of the time period and the content that they may have used ‘creative license’. I will miss this show and wish they would have followed the lives of the surviving characters.

4. Pierre Samuel Rioux says:

I like it very good and Leonardo and the Count Riario are great character..

5. Roddy Piper says:

Too bad. This was such a good series. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Especially Blake Ritson as Count Riario.

6. oh lawd it ended?! WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!
    HOW CAN THEY CONCLUDE ON THAT! THIS IS SUCH A GREAT SMART SHOW!!! :3

7. deva says:

not happy about the finishing of the da vinci series at no 3??

8. Angie Snyder says:

I love this show why is it that good shows have to end keep it on

9. maulik DX says:

hi I am from India and believe me there are sizable fans of this series In India and no one is happy about the news that it’s ended because what we know about da vinci is because of this series which is a very big deal we didn’t know anything other than da Vinci was a painter but now we do thanks to the series makers
    so please don’t end it continue it so the world can know more about the great da Vinci.

10. tdoa says:

Good. Great series, but no series no matter how great should run more than 3, 4 seasons tops. They should be able to wrap up any story properly in that amount of time. Any longer and it becomes repetitive and looses steam. Thank you Starz for not dragging it out forever.

11. thank you from the first episode to the last it was good writing, and also good cast selection, thank you. pick someone else from history and write and we will watch.

12. MSS says:

Starting this TV series was a genius decision, ending is the same but super idiotic one !!! Either they dont believe they can keep up with the hype the show have created or just simply didnt have that much material to keep the show running…. In any case, its a big loss. No show can compete with this one !!!

13. Freddy says:

Sucks!!! I dont get it! Stupid starz you guys dont know what an amazing show you have there! 😒

14. Anon says:

This show after watching all 3 season realy stud out shame that starz didn’t realy finished it. The 3rd seasons story was so rushed that i seemed no as the writer was intended. I hope some one will continue the Da’Vincis Demons. It was an plesure to watch it.

15. Nell Doode says:

In their announcement, Starz failed to mention one of the most looming reasons Da Vinci’s Demons was cancelled. They dropped the ball HARD on waiting so long to announce season 3, which happened 7-8 months later than it should have. Fans got more and more angry, many openly said “Screw you Starz, we’re moving on”, and Starz execs finally realized that they lost a large portion of the show’s viewer base because of their ineptitude.

16. Kasun says:

Love da vinci. Want season 3

17. Adrienne says:

Loved the Borgias love Davinci so sad to see them canceled . So few good shows anymore .

18. redvine says:

…and this is why Starz gets cancelled by so many on their cable service and they lose a constant stream of customers every year – too many good programs cancelled. after they made the idiotic move to cancel The Borgias, i, too, called my cable company and dumped them. now, i just watch Starz programming for free online.

19. Tom Tte says:

Well, if it’s ending and Season 3 is in the can, what could they do to close the loose ends about the mystic story line if they weren’t expecting the show? Riley carried the show, along with other great cast performances. Quality.

20. vicky says:

This is a wonderful series I have just seen all the other series through to jog my memory and it is just as entertaining as it was the first time

21. Bigyan says:

I can’t believe they are cancelling this show. Out of all the crap on TV this show was something that stood out. what a bummer.

22. Andy Chetty says:

I’m inclined to agree with the previous comment. The same happened with “Rome” and “The Borgias”, both of which got cancelled because of expense! I think it’s because such high quality productions are just too thought provoking for the mentality of a certain Country, who insists on being the Bar of Excellence for everyone else. Which explains why we are burdened with mindless rubbish concerning ZOMBIES! Such a shame, because Da Vinci’s Deamons is just so, ADICTIVE!

23. N. Chathuranga says:

Its a best show, why are u people canceling this kind of shows for some other crap..

24. Linda says:

Everyone should cancel their starz subscription after they binge watch season 3… I know I am, this was the show I decided to subscribe for, not their other crappy or mediocre originals that fans bide their time waiting for davinci’ demons. This decision from thier CEO will cost them and they will see a plummet…

25. kc says:

How do we save DA VINCI’S DEMONS for a 4th season? Sell the series to Netflix maybe. They always take off the good tv shows too early.

26. I FELL IN LOVE with this… too bad it isn’t going longer.. I am looking forward to the 3rd season regardless!

27. D.J. says:

I love DaVinci’s Demons. Starz wants to cancel it and that is fine, because we can ALL CANCEL STARZ after Season 3 of DaVinci’s Demon ends!!!

• D.J. says:

Oh, and Starz does have a habit of killing amazing shows…Look at SPARTACUS! Only reason I kept Starz after Spartacus was DaVinci’s Demons. I HATE STARZ!

28. It’s a nice little show and I enjoyed it but Starz should NOT have cancelled The Borgias just because Da Vinci’s timeline coincided with it.

29. mukul sharma says:

surprised to know about the ending of series after season 3 but anyway really enjoyed the show.

30. rkersh says:

so what’s the real reason for the cancellation? the article just has the stock comments you get to avoid public screaming.

31. luigi says:

it’s really too bad about Da Vinci’s, just when i was getting into it. Starz suck, they did the same thing to one of my favorite shows Magic City.

32. It’s a pity that this show ends after just 3 seasons. Perhaps another network should buy it out like Netflix or Amazon Prime.

33. Doctor Malcom says:

Very good show. If it was on HBO, it would have had a better following.

34. Sascha says:

I liked DaVinci’s Inquest, but after City Hall, I never even got around to sampling Demons.