USA Cancels Freshman Drama ‘Complications’

Complications USA Network
USA Network

USA has cancelled freshman drama “Complications,” Variety has learned. The cabler will not be renewing the Matt Nix-created series for another season.

“Complications,” which premiered this past June, stars Jason O’Mara as a suburban ER doctor who winds up killing a street gang member after he rushes to help the victim of a drive-by shooting. His life changes dramatically in the aftermath. Other cast members include Jessica Szohr, Beth Riesgraf and Lauren Stamile.

“Problematic in its depiction of dark-skinned bad guys,” Variety TV critic Brian Lowry wrote in his review,” The 10-episode season … conjures its share of tension, but feels increasingly strained, until it’s finally clear the patient can’t be saved.”

“Complications” fared decently in its first season on USA, where it was paired with returning drama “Graceland.” It averaged a 0.52 rating in adults 18-49, a 0.66 rating in adults 25-54 and 1.9 million viewers overall in Nielsen’s “live plus-3” estimates. It ranks fifth among the network’s five original summer dramas in adults 18-49 and fourth in both 25-54 and total viewers. But it’s likely the channel didn’t feel it was economically feasible to focus energy on a borderline show — especially given the success of fellow rookie show “Mr. Robot.”

Despite “Complications,” USA is putting a strong focus on its drama slate. Upcoming series include espionage drama “Colony” from Carlton Cuse and Ryan Condal, which premieres in January, and “Queen of the South,” a thriller set in the world of Mexican drug cartels, which received a series order in May. The cabler also has many drama pilots in the pipeline, including an adaptation of the comic “Brooklyn Animal Control,” plus “Shooter,” which is set to star Ryan Phillippe and is baed on the 2007 Mark Wahlberg movie.

Elizabeth Wagmeister and Rick Kissell contributed to this report.

1. Diane says:

Usa seems to be canceling the good shows like graceland the dr show everything now complications
    But there bringing in the sci shows stupid

2. Carolyn says:

Complications was a good series why are you guys cancel the good ones

3. Toni Reeves says:

Bring back Complications

4. Marian L says:

I can’t believe they would cancel Complications while choosing to keep Satisfaction which is has no moral redeeming qualities.

5. Marian L says:

I am exceeding disappointed that Complications was cancelled. I thought it was one of the best new shows last season. I hope they
    will rethink this decision and bring it back.

6. snakedoc01 says:

Very disappointed. Seems like a more corporate decision than based upon quality of content. This was an exciting action drama from a unique perspective. It gets canned because of the studio yet trash like Satisfaction and left-wing garbage like Mr. Robot will be back. Someone should get the folks at USA a GPS to help them find their minds. Because they’ve clearly lost them.

7. Joan says:

I lived this show. I watched it with my daughter and 16 year old granddaughter. We all waited patiently for the next episode. It was fast paced, believable, and extremely entertaining…I guess that is why it was canceled. They keep the terrible, boring shows and cancel the best ones. Makes me want to stop watching the new shows as they always cancel the good ones and keep the trash. Maybe another network will pick it up…hopefully…I can only wish that they do.

8. Roberto says:

This is bull shit. This shows had one of the most well thought out story line there is now a days. Finally something we can all get behind and the plug gets pulled. This is why the world is quickly going to hell. Stop funding shows that make you think and understand how suspense works, but we continue to fund “Reality” shows that is just mindless dribble.

9. Lisa says:

Finally a good show on tv that whole family likes and it gets cancelled. Might as well stop cable service, nothing but garbage on.

10. Yvonne says:

I am so disappointed to hear that “Complications” was cancelled. It was such a well written, fast paced show. I looked forward to each episode and was so stunned by the last episode. It never occurred to me that it might not be back next season. Matt Nix is a great writer and the characters were amazing.

11. Margaret says:

Why does USA always cancel the new shows that I think are good, ie, Complications, Covert Affairs and the police drama involving drug movement……what is wrong with these shows??

12. I loved the nuance of Complications. I don’t have Cable. I specifically paid to watch this show on Amazon. I would love for Netflix or Amazon to pick it up. Just because USA is flaky doesn’t mean good television has to suffer

13. Lynne says:

I can not believe another good show axed by the penny counters who know NOTHING about tv shows! It’s all about the bottom line and they are in such a hurry to make that fortune, they can’t give any good show a chance. I am so tired of USA getting us hooked on great shows only to pull the plug when we are really into them. They don’t even have enough respect for us to tie it up, just leave us hanging. You could be a great network if only you appreciated your audience and your actors!

14. Marie says:

But somehow Satisfaction is renewed?

15. JP Ortiz says:

This was my favorite show!!! and Rush was my other favorite show.. Gives persperctive to those of us who live in the real world..

16. S. A. Matheson says:

I agree with you, coneyro — I loved RUSH and it was canceled; Satisfaction was ‘ok’ but tedious and tiring and not evocative at all, yet got renewed. The reality shows are the worst part of our society being celebrated, and they are ridiculously moronic.

17. coneyro says:

I usually don’t get “vulgar”, but axing “Complications”, well, that SUCKS!!. My favorite new summer show, and according to many bloggers, one of USA’s best. I really don’t know what to say anymore. Quality programs get cancelled, while moronic “reality” shows go ad nauseam. Even “Rush” which was better than “Satisfaction”, was ended, but “Satisfaction” was renewed. I’m getting tired of giving my all to a new show, only to have the rug pulled out. This is ridiculous, already. And another great one bites the dust. Why am I not surprised?

18. Kathy says:

That’s too bad I really liked the show. I feel bad for Jason O’Mara who keeps getting his shows cancelled.

• DebraBe07 says:

I agree with coneyro that the cancellation sux!! It was such a fast moving show that kept me on the edge of my seat. You never knew what to expect. Tried to watch Mr Robot, but the monotone narrative was like nails on a chalkboard! Eek! I liked Jason in the Vegas show, too. Hopefully someone will pick him up again as he is a very good actor. Colony just does not sound interesting. Neither does Satisfaction. Oh well…back to the drawing board, I guess, for Matt Nixx. I will watch whatever you write!