Bruce Jenner Makes Debut as Woman: ‘Call Me Caitlyn’

Bruce Jenner Vanity Fair Cover
Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic

Caitlyn Jenner, formerly known as Bruce Jenner, has made her debut as a woman in Vanity Fair.

The cover of the magazine’s July issue has been released, revealing the first look at Jenner after her transition from male to female.

“I’m so happy after such a long struggle to be living my true self,” Jenner wrote in her first tweet. “Welcome to the world Caitlyn. Can’t wait for you to get to know her/me.”

Annie Leibovitz shot the first portraits of Caitlyn in Jenner’s Malibu home.

“If I was lying on my deathbed and I had kept this secret and never ever did anything about it, I would be lying there saying, ‘You just blew your entire life,'” Jenner told the mag.

“How beautiful! Be happy, be proud, live life YOUR way!” Jenner’s step-daughter Kim Kardashian West tweeted about the photo. “We were given this life because you were strong enough to live it! I couldn’t be prouder!!! Caitlyn” Khloé Kardashian added.

“Now that’s a cover,” her daughter Kendall Jenner tweeted. “Be free now pretty bird.”

Jenner was reportedly considering spelling her name with the letter “k,” like all the other women in the Kardashian-Jenner clan, but has opted for a more traditional spelling of Caitlyn.

The former Olympian will receive the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at ABC’s EPSY Awards on July 15, ESPN announced Monday.

Jenner first publicly revealed that she was transitioning into a woman in a “20/20” interview with Diane Sawyer.

“For all intents and purposes, I am a woman,” Jenner said in April.

She continued her story on E!’s two-part “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” special, “About Bruce,” in May. Her untitled docu-series debuts in July.

Jenner prepared to undergo facial feminization surgery in Sunday night’s “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” midseason finale, which was filmed months ago.

Jenner’s reveal comes at a time when TV series are focusing on transgender stories. Jeffrey Tambor was named lead actor in a comedy at last night’s Critics’ Choice Television Awards for his role in “Transparent,” where he plays a father of three transitioning into a woman.

An upcoming ABC Family docu-series, “Becoming Us,” revolves around a teen boy grappling with his father’s transition, while Discovery Life launched the unscripted series “New Girls on the Block” in April, about six women in Kansas City beginning to live openly as transgender.

TLC will debut “All That Jazz” this summer. The series follows Jazz Jennings, a transgender 14-year-old girl.

Additionally, Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black” features Laverne Cox, the first breakthrough transgender star in Hollywood.

1. Chris says:

Gotta love these first world problems. I never met Bruce Jenner but saw him on kuwtk and he seemed to be the stable for advice. I don’t care what he or she does or anybody else as long as they don’t care what I do or think. I often wonder what would happen in a time of disaster or war because none of this matters in the grand scheme of importance of you’re vitals. Nobody’s identity or sexual preference being blasted by all media outlets is putting more food on the table or allowing you to spend time with you’re family on vacation because of the extra money you don’t have. I don’t think Bruce is doing this for free but maybe he/she is, dunno don’t care. My opinion is allow people to do what they want and stop blasting it all over the media and making it a big deal and forcing people to have an opinion. I think people have a public and personal opinion and most will give the public opinion which is PC, no drama. You should be able to be who you are without any backlash no matter what you think or who you are and that goes both ways.

• I absolutely agree that you should be able to be who you want to be and do what you want to do as long as it doesn’t hurt someone else. I would say though that not everything someone wants is really “good for them”. Also, while I think that anyone who disagrees with someone making a choice like this should still be kind, which I do, the whole “identity crisis” thing like this is also a first world problem.

In reality, people that are born with male genitalia and male chromosomes are male. Without the advent of all this cosmetic surgery we have, and all these fancy clothes, people have to be what they are born as.

If we are to make the (in my opinion important) point that men are fully capable of being emotional and feminine and liking pink or playing with dolls and whatever else, then that to me means there really ISN’T any such thing as a male or female brain. Most men are less emotional, but not all men are. Some men are more, and it doesn’t actually mean they are a female mind in a man’s body. They are still a man.

I really don’t think people who aren’t comfortable in their own skin will find long term happiness from superficially changing their body. I will continue to say so in a kind way, though I still support people’s right to do whatever they want, even if it isn’t really the best for them.

2. Hipps says:

Ha who ever said it was right this is nothing more than a science project.
    people call “her” brave bah
    Brave is a person who is selfless and helps other I see nothing but selfishness here
    Anywho no offence to transgendered people you guys stay awesome (I dont consider “her” transgendered just mentally different)

3. Gaby says:

I’m so happy to see this beautiful butterfly to finally emerge from it’s cacoon. God bless you and may your life be a long and fulfilling life. All my blessings to you and your family. Be strong Caitlynn it’s only gonna get better. And don’t forget, it’s your life live it to the fullest

4. Maira magdaleno says:

I support that. Bruce decided to become a women no one has to hide how they really feel comfortable ither becoming a women or a man is hard to for the family but if that make him happy go ahead.and be free ur family is always going to love u and I admire u a lot for being brave and showing the real you
    My respects :)

5. With all due respect, I think I understand gender dysphoria in relation to Bruce “Caitlyn” Jenner. But I do have a few questions. #1- How does Caitlyn know this is her “true side” and not the OlympicGold Medal winning male athlete in the Decathalon? #2 Bruce has fathered several children and from most accounts has been a stellar male parent. Now, in embracing feminity and “being a woman” how can she not be attracted to men now, something she vehemently has denied all long? I know there is a difference between gender identity and sexuality but how is it playing out now with Caitlyn?

6. Nancy says:

For 65 she is sure going for a sexy look ! You do look very nice Caitlyn
    ” To Thine Own Self Be True..” You Did. Keep Smiling..

7. Barbz says:

You don’t have to agree but never judge unless you have walked in his shoes.

8. trycom says:

jenner is sick. God made him a man Not a woman. just like the rest of u that think u can change your sex… sick sick

9. onuttz says:

You’re overthinking this a bit. Your brain will explode. : P

10. maylavinia says:

After a long struggle, after ruining/damaging the lives of six children and three wives while protecting HIMSELF, his Legend, his whatever, at age 65 he introduces himself in the most sexualized way possible to gain the most publicity and therefore the most money from his coming series. Real hero. Courage or Narcissism? For 65 years it has been ALL about Bruce. And still is. Arthur Ashe Courage award for…what? I feel sorry for the first unsuspecting man or woman who encounters Caitlyn and takes her home………

11. Steve says:

Who cares? I am so sick of having the issues of a very small minority thrown in the face of all. I don’t care if this freak has a wiener, wants a wiener, doesn’t want a wiener …. it is laughable. Have you no private business? No, that’s right. This idiot has grown acustomed to airing all his stupid crap infused life for cash. Absolute Freak

12. Its easy to see what influences Bruce Jenner has when putting out there his concept of female gender identity. I heard the women on “the Talk” speak about why it is that women are judged on their looks and their age while men are not. Just look at the way Jenner chose to present his female gender identity. Maybe if he chose to wear a dress that was not so revealing and pose in a way that did not come across that way–ppl would not be talking about his looks, but then that is how the Kardashians choose to present themselves as it has made them lots of money. After having spontaneous spiritual wake-up call–I realized that we are not what we appear to be even though most ppl identify with the appearance of things and not the inner essence. We are actually spiritual beings containing both feminine and masculine energies which we can express when the situation calls for it. So to truly be who you are is to recognize you are so much more than the physical body whether it be manifested as a female or a male. On the inside, you have both energies and a person really does not have to try to change their outer appearance to be who they truly are. Each person is at their own stage of evolution so some may still identify as what they appear to be(their outer appearance)
    Masculine Energy is

receiving
    synthesizing
    creative
    calm
    soft
    allowing
    Since a person whether their outer gender appearance is male or female can have both of these energies and use them when the situation calls for either.

13. I must say I think that Cait is so beautiful, she is a amazing, strong, confident and her bravery is optimistic and is contagious. In our society people are mean i feel like she has given our society, our nation and our world another view of the transgender meaning. She has and will be opening several doors for people to discuss there emotions and give us so much information for transgendered people with this a better understanding a more optimistic outlook for many people. I really wish that Cait passes her strength unto many people and her knowledge to help transgender people to be accepted into our lifetime. She is a role model and her children should be so proud of her courage. Keep your head up you are beautiful inside an out “you look so sexy” I am proud to say that Caitlyn Jenner will make a mark in society and that she has opened many doors, this is something that will make a mark on us forever and will never be forgotten. Thank you so much for everything that you have done did and are doing, keep it up
    Sincerely Amber Markle

• Nancy says:

I have none of those male/female qualities. Atleast None that I recognize, so what does that make me ?
      seriously..

• Exactly Nancy. This is the very reason this is totally inconsistent. On the one hand, Bruce is “actually a woman because he has a woman’s mind”, but on the other hand we are encouraged to say there should be no such thing as “a female way to think” and “a male way to think”.

You can’t have it both ways.

14. Wayne C says:

Great story and rather inspirational. Only critique I would have is that Candis Cayne was the first transgendered actor to break out in Hollywood. Not only being a permanent primary cast member of ‘Dirty Sexy Money’ but also a recurring character on ‘Elementary’ currently.

15. Karen says:

Wow Caitlyn…you look awesome! The photographers did a great job with making your pictures beautiful. Good luck with everything in your life. Remember there is alot of supporters that Loved you as Bruce and still Love & Care about you as Caitlyn. Best Wishes
    Karen

16. Reel Injun says:

Can one of the many critics of transgenderism on this thread please explain what is so offensive to you about Bruce Jenner’s transition to Caitlyn Jenner? I really struggle to understand.

17. Tony says:

HE NEEDS HELP AND THE ONLY THING ACCES HOLLYWOOD SAYS IS ‘SHE LOOKS GREAT’
    He doesn’t. He looks foolish and sad.

• Doug says:

I agree. Why do people lie? He looks horrible. He can have all the surgery in the world makes no difference he will ALWAYS be a man. Bruce.. your just an altered MAN my friend. You will be a man till the day god decides to take you home and make his decision regarding your personal decisions. You were born a man and will die a man. A man with no penis, a man with breasts, a man with long flowing hair, and an insecure man that has to go to these extremes to get attention. An altered MAN. This is a sickness. Have fun and enjoy what life you have left playing Caitlyn. I just hope and pray god is as forgiving as we have been taught for your sake. I agree 100% Tony he looks foolish and sad. Really pathetic.

• bigrol says:

Thank you Doug. Exactly what I have been saying

• onuttz says:

“I just hope and pray god is as forgiving as we have been taught for your sake”

I have a funny feeling that “Nature” never read the Bible. It’s just slapping strands of DNA together however it pleases.
        Apparently God wants it that way.

18. Tony says:

this is absolutely stupid and he needs help.

19. Mark Hander says:

Cailyn still has a penis therefor he’s still a man so I will call him Bruce

20. highdestiny says:

I feel so much pity for him and so much anger for those who perpetrated this mutilation on someone who clearly was in desperate need of help. If this results in a suicide, I hope those butchers who profited from his illness are prosecuted for wrongful death.

21. Isaac says:

Well now that Caitlyn is a Kardashian ‘woman’ how soon will it be until she begins dating wealthy black men for their money.

22. Dane says:

This is hilarious. Whats next, I wanna be a bird so I glue feathers and get some wings added with surgery? I know you’ll all say its different, but barely. Every day i look outside and wanna fly, and be a birdy. Yeaaaaa, but I’m not. No matter how much I cut off and add on to myself.

Its funny how he says its not about fanfare and attention. Well I know if I didn’t want attention and money the first things I’d avoid would be the cover of vanity fair with fucking Annie doing the shots, and then making a tv show about it.

He’s so full of it I can’t stand it. I cant wait to see the weirdo man he tries to date. Oh wait, I actually wish we could erase him from the public.

23. Dennis says:

Gender dysphoria is a psychological illness and should be treated, not celebrated.

24. Heidijo123 says:

Caitlyn is bold and beautiful!!! I applaud her courage to be her authentic self and live her life as she’s always desired. I join her limitless supporters as I wish Caitlyn the very best as she begins this new chapter in her life’s journey… Ignore the ignorant haters & bullies and just focus on being happy while being you…. Welcome Caitlyn!!
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind” ~ Bernard M Baruch

25. Dez says:

I think Bruce Jenner being PUNKED by Kris Kardashian LEAD him to all this of him turning himself into a woman. I always thought while watching the show that he had very feminem charteristics and I wondered is he Gay. Was his marriage to Kris even ever real… Probably not but this confirms it. She could have drove him to the looney bin but nope she did one better than that. This is a SHOCKER for sure. I agree quite well a mental illness but well to each their own..

26. Rosalie Savedra says:

I think Ms Jenner (Bruce) looks GREAT, I respect what you did, it is what you born to be. I hope no will disrepect what you have done and maybe now you will be happy. even though I am catholic I do believe that people do have the right to be themselves. So God Bless you and keep you safe and for anyone out there who do not understand what you have been going through your whole life – Screw them. YOU GO GIRL.. P.S. You look better than Kris, sorry Kris but he does.

27. Atomic Fury says:

Uhh, no Bruce. Those of us who don’t follow along with the herd and have mind’s of our own won’t put up with the false pretense of you supposedly being a woman. At best you are putting on one helluva an act. Even if you chop yourself up, have implants and legally change your name, you are still Bruce Jenner, male. If I’ll call you anything it would be “confused”.

28. Marko says:

Utter nonsense. Absolutely guarantee you that Ellen is tweeting some congratulatory B.S.

29. Chad says:

Should be Call Me CRAZY…WTF SERIOUSLY …how is this being celebrated…this is a mental health issue should be on the cover of Medical weekly…how far has the bar dropped…HE!!!! should be in a hospital not a magazine cover…Talking about in a 3rd person…this is a condition how is everyone so OK with this in our society So he gets to use the women’s restroom now? How is society ok with letting these people just deciding they are the other gender and we are suppose to just play along…it is a mental defect and should be treated as such…not encouraged…there is nothing brave about this Koo Koo thinking of himself as 2 different people…it is called multiple personality disorder the key word being disorder….RIDICULOUS if this MAN starts using the woman’s locker rooms and restrooms…it is a crime…

30. Jayne Berryman says:

So proud of you!!!!!!!!!! just be who you are.

31. Colin Mochrie says:

He is a man, stop playing pretend. You are not a woman, you are not a wolf, stop pretending.

32. Abomination says:

HE is a MAN in hormonal drag and will always be a man. Your hormones and plastic surgeries will never change that. HIS DNA says male, bones state male. Even if he chops and has a disfigured penis passing it off as something female, HE will still be a man. Lock him up without his hormones and he will look like a man again. Not everyone is drinking this Kool Aid no matter if you put the world of sugar in it. So sick of these mentally ill MEN aping women.

• Tom Evans says:

and you are a complete idiot……go talk crazy some place else…. if anything you and your views are an abomination. How can people be free with people like you in the world you moron.

33. Have you’re new pics in with my familys. I posted them on fb & on twitter (which I’m new to & suck at figuring out). So happy you’re happy. That you get to be happy. Wish you didn’t feel you had to wait so long to be you.

34. Sergei says:

Come, everyone, and watch the freak show on E!

A very well paid freak indeed. No shame.

He the new bearded lady of the carnival.

• David Benjamin says:

@Sergei..I enjoy my life..my job..my family. why don’t you try living by your own words. Learn some tolerance and consideration..because you’re severely lacking in both right now

• Atomic Fury says:

Tolerance and consideration for those portraying a falsehood? Do you have as much tolerance and consideration for those who follow Christianity? Not that I’m religious, but I know how the homosexual, transgender community reject that religion. So, are you the type who lives by what he says or are you one of those folks who comes from the “do as I say, not as I do” school of living?

• David Benjamin says:

And what sideshow attraction are you, pray tell? It’s this type of insensitivity, transphobia and homophobia that people like Caitlyn have had to put up with for decades. Way to go, Sergei..you’re proof that neanderthal are alive and well in today’s world. Go crawl under a rock and die. please! Dumbass!

• Atomic Fury says:

Speaking of dumbasses, it is a growing belief in the scientific community that early humans didn’t exactly “kill off” the Neanderthal’s, and instead inter-breeded with them. So which race actually survived, eh? I say neither did and that we are a Homo Sapiens/Neanderthal hybrid.

On a more pointed note, you will have those who ridicule what Bruce Jenner is doing because that’s what some people do. But most of the comments I’ve read so far indicate to me they are written by smart, sensitive people who don’t like their intelligence to be insulted – which, by the way, happens a lot to me when these deviants from the homosexual and transgender community try to justify their behavior with something best defined as bullshit.

• Colin Mochrie says:

Gawd, you people are all the same. It is “transphobe” this and “ur a wacist” that. Because evidently it is a-o-k for people to play ‘pretend.’ And if you even dare disagree that a man, because he is a man, wants to play pretend for his life because “i-i’m special,” these people instantly berate you with comments about transphobia, homophobia, and “blah, blah I bet you are secretly gay.”

They bash you with the same insults, because if you disagree with their super special snowflake syndrome, then you must be a transphobe, homophobe, racist, christian, conservative white male.

• Sergei says:

There are many more like me than there are like you and freak show. Think about it.

A tip: Get a hold of your anger before it gets a hold of you. It is unhealthy to be angry and depressed. Enjoy life. Learn to laugh.

35. laurie abbey says:

i think you look Amazing. i Am so happy for you i think its wonderful that you finally made that change for yourself and to. be free

• Atomic Fury says:

Most people in his position are anything but free. They are as superficially happy as they are supposedly sexually reassigned. Ignorance is bliss they say and that’s what gets them by. But outing yourself opens you up to all sorts of derision and if one is famous, they usually isolate themselves from the real world in order to insulate them from negative comments they surely are aware of among the real-worlders.

It’s not what people choose as a sexual lifestyle that bothers me – even if Bruce wants to pretend he’s a woman. It’s the blanket of bullshit that surrounds them that I could do without.

36. Taylor says:

Some of these people act like this stuff is the downward spiral of our country. This “stuff” has been around since the beginning of man kind. Society has just shamed people for who they are, who they love and how we live our lives as well as the color of our skin. Good for you, if you were born white, Staight and perfect for everyone else who was born different, live loud and pround!! Being free to be who we are is what America is about, not a downward spiral. Is it wierd? sure for all of us not born feeling this way but everyone has a right to live and feel free and happy! Good luck Jenner!

• Atomic Fury says:

Well, when people are shamed by their choice of sexual lifestyle, it is done with their permission. The same is true of anything else in life. To say that another person made you feel some kind of way is utter nonsense. It’s a childish response to something they are unable or unwilling to accept responsibility for their own feelings.

37. linda says:

wow bruce looks better than chris props to you caitlyn

38. Reel Injun says:

For anyone that cares about the history of human civilization, you should probably know that there are cultures and periods of human history where people with complex, non-binary sexual identities were celebrated, and seen to possess higher spiritual qualities. More to the point, the concept of mutually exclusive sexual orientation is entirely unique to modern homo sapiens sapiens. Most other species display forms of same-sex sexual pairings and non-reproductive sexual activity.

But if you’re not particularly interested in facts and science and history, and are only interested in hearing things that reflect your own narrow perspectives back to you, then by all means, continue to criticize.

• Wayne says:

Not the sophist science and history “justification?”. Humans are simply NOT animal equivalents, or using your (ill) logic we could similarly justify much violence, including murder, rape, cannibalism, incest, etc. Logically animals do those things on a regular basis, so “scientific” right. But of course you cherry pick the animal behavior/science that seems (to slow folk) to make , or try to make you pendantist-like point. Real rubbish and wornout rubbish at that.

• Reel Injun says:

And what’s your point @Wayne? That the periods of human history and cultures that accepted diversity and fluid gender roles were barbaric and now we know that the only normal and tolerable sexuality is hetero? We were wrong back then, but we’re much wiser now?

Even forgetting the behaviorist/science and historical arguments, I simply don’t understand what is so offensive about transgerderism to the people on this thread. No one is saying you have to be transgender. No one is asking you to pay for sex reassignment surgery. The only risks and costs of sex reassignment and hormonal therapy are faced by the people who willingly undertake them. What do you care if that’s what feels right for someone else? How does it change anything happening in your life?

39. Inspector Clouseau says:

Yep. More pathetic crap. This is the sort of garbage the scumbag mass media wants to impose on people. The degradation of a country continues.

40. Mr. M. says:

Society’s downward spiral, vomited daily right into your living room. It is sad that this sick man didn’t have anyone around him, that cared enough to keep him out of the clutches of unscrupulous psychiatrists & their bags of psychotropic drugs. This is a post-modern Frankenstein tale.

41. anonymousfan says:

So much bigotry and hate. Shame on you guys. “Live and let live” I say.
    Good for Caitlyn Jenner. After her full transition…I hope she ends up looking better than Kris Kardashian!!

42. Tyler durden says:

Gross

43. Clare says:

Congratulations to Caitlyn!

44. wilmerl12 says:

Evidence to the contrary there, Joe Hill.
    Or is this the first you’ve ever heard of transgendered individuals????

45. Allison says:

He’s beautiful!!! Do your thing cate!

46. JOE S HILL says:

What a sick man! sorry,,but i’ll still call you BRUCE! you were born a MAN-STAY as one,and spare us
    over your fantasy of trying to become a woman-it doesn’t work that way!!

• Michael Anthony says:

You, and so many others, need to be educated. Of course, if you are US citizens, please educate yourselves first on individual rights. Idiots!.

47. kl says:

Again I echo the requests below to edit the article with the correct pronouns. Caitlyn should be referred to as “she”, not “he”.

• Atomic Fury says:

Nope, doesn’t work that way – unless you want to go along with the false pretense. He is Bruce Jenner disguised as a woman. Plain and simple. He was born a male, will live as a male (despite the act), and will die as a male. You can’t change your sex. What he has done is akin to changing a roadway into a superhighway – just a different version of the same thing. What he’s convinced himself of is akin to turning a bridge into an underwater tunnel – two completely different things of the same nature.

So, cut the insanity please.

• onuttz says:

“He is Bruce Jenner disguised as a woman.”

A friend going through the same thing said it’s quite the opposite. All of her life she felt as if nature disguised her as a man. She spent her entire existence pretending to be a man, acting like a man etc, wow feeling completely in authentic.

We’re only now discovering the tip of the iceberg of how DNA slaps us together.
        All the harsh criticism is coming from those who never bothered to have an actual conversation with a transgender. What would you say if you had a child who was born that way?
        “Cut the insanity please”, and make him stand in the corner until he changed his nature?

• OhSuzannah says:

You are so spot on. He will never ever know what it really means to be a girl or woman and to grow up with all the issues and experiences associated with being female. Think menstration, child birth, dating men, working as a woman, etc. He IS NOT A WOMAN. Just playing dress up.

• this stupid man needs help,fast.

48. Sandra says:

As I understand it from what he said on The Kardashians, he is not planning to undergo surgery to change his private bits so, in my book, that means he is still him. Not she.

49. Erika says:

I just saw you made the pronoun changes. Thank you for listening!

50. David Benjamin says:

She has the atypical Kardashian photoshopped airbrushed look going on tòo