‘Bates Motel’ Renewed for Two More Seasons, ‘The Returned’ Canceled at A&E

The Returned cancelled
Courtesy of A&E

A&E has been handed “Bates Motel” a two-season renewal, while cancelling freshman thriller “The Returned,” Variety has learned.

“Bates Motel” will be coming back with Season 4 and Season 5. Both 10-episode seasons will air in 2016 with production beginning later this year.

“The vision of our incredible creative team has exposed the steady breakdown of the relationship between Norman and Norma Bates,” said Rob Sharenow, exec vice president and general manager of A&E and Lifetime. “We are thrilled to bring fans two more seasons to witness the next stages of Norman’s transformation into the most notorious psychopath in cinematic history.”

The critically-acclaimed series is a contemporary prequel to the film “Psycho” and shows how Norman Bates (played by Freddie Highmore) unravels through his teenage years. Vera Farmiga plays his mother, Norma Bates.

Despite falling off in its third season, “Bates,” hailing from Universal Television, Carlton Cuse Productions and Kerry Ehrin Productions, ranks among the top-rated ad-supported cable series. It averaged about a 1.3 rating in adults 18-49 and three million viewers overall, according to Nielsen’s “live+3” estimates.

Though A&E has not made a decision about the series’ end, co-creator Kerry Ehrin, who exec produces with Carlton Cuse, has always envisioned “Bates” running no longer than five seasons, telling Variety, “from the end of the first season, Carlton and I both had the exact same instinct of five seasons.” She said she has an endgame in mind, adding, “Emotionally, yes, a very specific one. I will say it’s beautiful.”

Cuse also created “The Returned,” an American remake of the French series “Les Revenants.” Airing behind “Bates Motel” on Mondays this spring, the supernatural drama had a decent, but unspectacular, rookie season. In “live+3,” it averaged a 0.7 rating in adults 18-49 and about 1.8 million viewers overall.

Rick Kissell contributed to this report.

1. Becky says:

I love this series. It has the best twist and turns of any show I have seen in years I really love Norma!
    I was sad to see her die but knew at some point she would. All the characters are amazing. I hate to see season 5 end.
    My hope is that A&E will prick up an equally intreging series.

2. Ashley says:

This is my all time favorite show, Vera is one of the best actresses that I have seen in a long time. I do not want this show to end, not this soon.

3. Linda Acre says:

Oh N0 Way can you stop this show after 5th season ! There are so many boring, non excitable shows out there with bad scripts and lousy acting..I could cry, and you want to take the #1 away from us? For what we pay for Cable tv…I feel we deserve at least ONE Good show! You writers are fantastic! The actors are Tops! Please! Put your heads together and keep Bates motel running!
    #1 Fan here!

4. Tom Teter says:

I thought after seeing the season finally, summing up the broken family, as well of the DEATH of Normma I was thinking it was pretty much history.

5. David McKenna says:

Happy for a fifth…hope they somehow include Vera Farmiga…

6. Tina Fine says:

So thrilled that Bates is renewed. GREAT SHOW. GREAT CAST. GREAT WRITING!

7. Daar Fisher says:

It sure looked like the end! However, Norma could live on via her Ghost (cuz I can’t imagine Norma being gone – Vera Farminga is extraordinary *as is the rest of the cast!)

8. what the hell..this can’t be the end.there is too much unresolved issuses,for instance Normma hello everyone remember is never leaving her son.she still has alot ot say and there are to many unresolved issuse to be delt with.i for one want and need a preveiw of next season please tell me or show me that there will be one…it’s killin me it’s like i can almost foresee what is gonna or should happen especially to Norman..which is what i so look foward to,because you are allways surprised at what happens verses what you thought might or should happen…I think i speek for all the fans when i say this..please don’t leave us in the dark there has to be more to it than this.and if there isn’t make up a good lie anything because you have very anxious loyal fans of the show.it cannot end like a bad divorce..

9. Donna says:

Love Bates Motel……I was on edge with the season finale…….whoa!!…..the actors are fantastic……especially the young Norman Bates…..can’t wait for the new season !! Hoping this show goes on for a long time…..

10. Denise says:

I am so upset that Bates Model is stopping with Season 5. This is by far the best show on tv that I have seen in years. Vera is an extraordinary actress. You just want to love and protect her character. Freddie is fantastic as well. I thought I was going to completely fall apart when Nestor (Sheriff Alex) found Norma and realized she had died. His pain broke my heart. Nestor is one great actor! I had so much empathy for Dylan.

Like others have stated, they hate to start a new show for fear it will end to soon. I agree 110%! I am 55 and absolutely love this show.

Please don’t let Bates Motel end with Season 5! Please change the script so that Norman was dreaming the last episode!

11. I don’t know what I will do when this show ends. My daughter got me watching it the first season and I never stopped. I am disabled and one of the bright spots in my week is Bates Motel. Don’t end it!!!

12. JES says:

although I am out of the “coveted” 18-39 year old viewer…I am almost 60, I Love this show, the character development and the setting is emmy-worthy. TV should never count us out! This show is filmed at angles that keep it interesting and still it a classic look too. I do not think it would ruin the original movie experience or disrespect it either, if they took Bates Motel right up to the discovery of “mother” in the rocking chair. I will miss this show when it concludes.

13. Lola says:

When is the new episode coming out??!

• d55may says:

That’s what I was wondering, since the final #5 will be the end of the road for this great show. It’s a shame that they are jst letting this winner go after just 5 seasons, which is really just 3 years. Viewers just need to catch up to the fact that they are missing a nail biter on Monday nights, and tune in.

14. Geraldine rivers says:

I’m so hooked on watching the Bates motel, my husband and I look forward to Mondays, to see what’s going on with the Bates. I haven’t seen anything on air in many years as good is this show. And I’m afraid that it will end. I wish it will continue weekly permanently. An I’m 51 years old. I seen it said the viewers was 18-49. Not lol

15. TC says:

I rarely watch tv shows, mainly a movie lover. I was relucantant at first to watch Bates Motel but after a few episodes I was hooked! So upset there are only 10 episodes per season however. understanding since this is a prequal series :0)

16. I loved BATES MOTEL HOW SAD ITS NOT ON. TAKE OFF DUCK DYNASTY ENOUGH OF THEM . PLEASE BRING BACK BATES MOTEL

17. Christine Ferguson says:

Bring the returned back… We’d love it! You always take away the shows that people love.

18. Leanne says:

That’s wrong we love the returned and we want it back!!!

19. Shahidah says:

The American version of the Returned was unnecessary. I love the French version and it aired on A&E so the American version just became redundant. Im so glad to see Bates Motel will go on for another two or three season and I agree with the writers no more than five. Less is more

20. Helen L. says:

CAN’T WAIT to see ALL the new episodes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. beaubear says:

when does season 4 start? my daughter and I look forward to this , since season 1. this is the only TV show we watch together.

22. Janice Grencik says:

Very anxious for season 4 to start. It keeps me going from week to week to see what is going to happen next. I love all of the characters and the great suspence of the whole series. The who done it, what is going to happen next week, and who is really the physical!!!!

23. Courtney says:

Freddie definitely needs to be recognized for his incredible work on Bates motel. I love Norman and norma how much they love eachother. I cry every time Norman trys to please everyone and just wants to be loved. He is a perfect boy. OR IS HE? I don’t know, but he deserves the best as Norman Bates.

• beaubear says:

the real psycho is Norman. maybe you can rent , if you can find it, the movie, Psycho staring Anthony Perkins as an adult Norman. this was an Alfred Hitchcock film , 1960

24. Betsy says:

So excited Bates Motel is coming back!!! It is one of the BEST shows ever aired on TV!!!!!

25. David says:

I’m so bummed about the returned being cancelled. The show was so awesome

26. Erin says:

Why cancel the returned? I dvr’d it every episode! I’m so disappointed. Can’t even begin to describe…

27. Kenyetta Johnson says:

😡I’m very dissapointed about the show “Returned”,being cancelled. It was an excellent show and it kept me suspense. I tried watching the original French version, but I can’t get into like I did the American remake version. However, I am so looking forward to watching the new season of “Bates Motel.”😁

28. CO-Dawn says:

I am so sad the returned was cancelled
    I really liked that show and was looking forward to finding out why everyone was coming back. Glad Bates Motel is back though. I hate having to wait so long between seasons.

• Lisa Banerdt says:

I’m glad bates motel is coming back in 2016, every monday I would turn on A&E looking for bates motel, so today I Googled it and got the good news, but I was disappointed to here that the returned was cancelled.

29. Marcy Rose says:

Yeah…. Finally …. My favorite show….

30. Lynn Hambleton says:

will you repeat season 3 . Would love to refresh the details. Can’t wait for season 4.

31. ter says:

Love Bate;’s Motel it is spell binding & care about the characters!!

32. Gail says:

Just Love this show !! It is fascinating, you can’t help feel a lot of compassion for the main characters!!! Wish it could have happier times for them???

33. Ute Pocernich says:

I just love Bates Motel best show on TV. I also thought that the Returned was really good and so sad it was cancelled they should have give it more of a chance.

34. larry says:

you still didn’t answer my question are we going to see bates this season?

35. larry says:

are we going see bates motel or not we are getting mixed messages

36. Cathy says:

Hey!!!!! The Returned, season 2 will air on Sundance, on October 31st!!!!Yay!!!

37. Cathy says:

I loved The Returned, and I’m heartbroken that A&E cancelled it!!! I even watched the French version, subtitles and all! A&E really didn’t give this show the time nor the publicity that it deserved! They really missed a huge opportunity! I’m just really upset that I will now have to watch the rest of this show with subtitles. Thanks A&E.

38. I have been waiting for the return of Bates Motel. The Norma and Norman characters are perfect. Better actors could not have been chosen. My least favorite part of the series is when they go off on a tangent with the other son and drugs. I love the basic premise of the show and hope to see many more seasons – not just 5!

39. Deb Erickson says:

Can’t wait for the next season’s unraveling of Norma and Norman Bates! Really well written and performed by the cast!

40. BATES MOTEL is without a doubt one of the best dramas to come along in decades. The acting is top drawer and the story line has enough twists and turns to keep the viewers attention and coming back for more. Freddie Highmore is the PERFECT young Norman Bates and with each episode he sinks deeper into the swamp of sociopathic behavior. This series is simply EXCELLENT.

41. I liked the Returned it was kind of off the wall but kept you on the edge of your seat

• Cathy says:

42. Sandra says:

I love Bates Motel.I can’t wait to start watching it again.I tried to watch The Return and I did not like it.It would not hold my interest like Bates Motel.So you did good by not renewing it.

43. Misty says:

Bates Motel is completely genius. There is so much material available this show could go on for 10 seasons, and the fans would follow it all the way. Saying only 5 seasons is really horrible, for those of us that love this show and look forward to the great drama and suspense, the plot and the characters are just fascinating. I truly hope this show will go beyond 5 seasons.

• Cathy says:

I watched the returned with the french subtitles way before the american version came out and it is a very amazing show. If you didn’t get it then maybe you should watch the french version, and then go back to the A&E show, and reevaluate it.

44. Rena Moretti says:

These days, when you have a flop, you have to lock it up for multiple seasons.

Hollywood is walking on its head, confusing low-rated shows with hits!

45. Bill B. says:

I could care less about Bate’s Hotel, but The Returned was one of the very few series that I watched. I thought it was very interesting. But at least it is another good reason to get rid of Comcast.

46. Gina Cavezza says:

Love you Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin for more Bates Motel.
    Not only season 4, but 5 too? Hooray. Thank you.

47. John Belcher says:

Glad to hear about Bates, but if they thought The Returned had decent numbers why cancel it already, really enjoyed it and people at my work enjoyed it, finding less and less reason to give shows a chance for fear of it being gone to soon

• Cathy says:

I agree with you John! Give The Returned a better chance! ILoved the show, even the french version, so I will continue to watch it with subtitles!

• Rena Moretti says:

Neither of those shows have good numbers. It’s all about internal politics and pretending all is well in the press.

48. msdj1959 says:

WHY WOULD YOU CANCEL THE RETURNED, I LOVED THAT SHOW. BRING IT BACK..