Tuesday morning at the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills, Calif., Netflix boss Ted Sarandos was asked about the possibility of a new season.
“We’re plugging along. It’s a long, complex deal, Sarandos responded. “The talent is very busy…and it’s owned by Fox.”
He continued, “It is our intent to have a new season. All the negotiations are underway.”
In a new GQ interview, out today, “Arrested Development” creator Mitch Hurwitz — who inked a multiyear deal with Netflix in April 2014 to produce, develop and create new projects — confirmed that he’s actively working to make season five happen. “My hope is to start the writers’ room on it this summer, while they’re making deals with the cast,” he said.
“Arrested Development” ran for three seasons from 2003 to 2006 on Fox. Despite a loyal fanbase, the 20th Century Fox comedy was axed due to low ratings, but viewer interest has remained since the cancellation and the following 15-episode Netflix season.
Earlier this year, exec producer Brian Grazer teased new episodes, though he didn’t specify a venue.
“I love ‘Arrested Development,’ but it was never a huge thing. But people are loyal to it. We’re going to do another 17 episodes, so stay tuned for ‘Arrested Development,'” Grazer said in a video interview.
At the time of Grazer’s interview in April, Netflix declined to comment on the prospect of a new season, while a rep for 20th told Variety, “Although everyone has expressed interest in doing more episodes, we have nothing firm to announce at this time.”