‘American Idol’ Ending After Season 15 on Fox

American Idol cancelled

American Idol” is finally coming to a close. The 15th and final season will premiere January 2016.

Jennifer Lopez, Harry Connick Jr. and Keith Urban will return as season 15 judges, along with host Ryan Seacrest.

While searching for the final “Idol” superstar, the last season will also serve as a “celebratory event,” paying tribute to fourteen seasons of contestants, winners and fans.

Fox TV Group chairman-CEO Gary Newman said it was “not an easy decision” to call it a wrap for “Idol” after much discussion with producers.

“It’s the right time to bring this run to a close,” Newman said in a conference call Tuesday. “We really wanted to do it in a way that felt special and celebratory … and send it off in a way that is as significant as the run it’s had on our network.”

The show will air in its usual Wednesday-Thursday pattern to start and then consolidate to one performance and results show on Thursday, execs said.

“American Idol,” created by Simon Fuller, debuted in 2002 with original judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson. Throughout its 14 seasons, other A-list judges have included Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj, Steven Tyler, Kara DioGuardi and Ellen DeGeneres. It ranked as the No. 1 series on broadcast TV for eight of its 15 seasons.

The reality competition made a star of Seacrest, who has served as emcee since season one, when he shared hosting duties with Brian Dunkleman, who exited after the first round.

“‘American Idol’ has been a big part of my life for so long, it’s frankly hard to imagine it without it,” Seacrest said in a statement. “It’s been a remarkable journey, and I feel very fortunate to have been part of a show that made television history in countless ways. It’s a show about chasing and fulfilling dreams, and truth be told, it helped some of my own dreams come true too.”

Newman and fellow Fox TV Group chair Dana Walden said they’re open to the possibility for former judges, including Cowell, and performers returning for the final season. Walden said the goal was to deliver some “nostalgia” for fans.

Seacrest weighed in on the final season, commenting, “All the ‘American Idol’ producers, judges, crew and everyone at Fox have been heroic in their efforts to create, produce and sustain such a groundbreaking show for so many years. I’m so glad they’re going to give us a season-long send off. The last season will undoubtedly be a special and emotional one, but first I’m looking forward to closing out Season 14. The finale is always my favorite part — two live shows with lots of surprises, and, of course, one winner!”

Based on Fuller’s hit British series “Pop Idol,” on which Cowell was a judge, the duo brought “Idol” to America, and the show is credited with launching the genre craze Stateside, leading to other singing competitions including “The Voice,” “The Sing Off,” the short-lived “Rising Star,” plus “The X Factor” and “America’s Got Talent,” both created by Cowell and inspired by the British versions.

“Idol” also led to the younger 2003 spinoff “American Juniors,” which aired for one season, and feature film “From Justin to Kelly,” featuring inaugural winner Kelly Clarkson and runner-up Justin Guarini, who both became pop culture sensations at the show’s offset.

Other winners and famous alums to come out of the series are Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks, Katharine McPhee, Chris Daughtry, Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino, Phillip Phillips and Adam Lambert.

No word on the midseason winter schedule yet at Fox, but Fox’s breakout hit “Empire,” which was paired with “Idol” this past season, is being led-in by new medical drama “Rosewood” this fall.

“American Idol” is produced by 19 Entertainment and distributed by FremantleMedia North America.

1. Betty says:

i have watched this show for the last 14 seasons and must say i am disappointed to see the last show put on a celebrity who is a professional and i would think over 30 years of age.which to me is not qualified to be on the show.i dont think it is right for him to be on the show competing with kids who are trying to get some where he already has made a name for himself please dont let him on this show i for one will miss the last show but i will not watch it with him on it.i am referring to Kanye West

2. martha morris says:

I can’t believe it. Ive watched this show from day one. I’ve looked forward every yr to watch it. Now ur gonna take it off this is sad. Very sad. I one of the biggest fan of American idol. Why take one of the best show ever be taken off this really blows.

3. Teresa says:

I’m very sad to see Idol done,I have watched it for 14 seasons,have enjoyed every show for the most part,really wish they would keep it on the air,I now have nothing to look forward too,DON’T WATCH THE VOICE!!!!!

4. Destiny says:

I’m just a teenager but I love american idol and I have always wanted to be on the show and with that said I will miss watching the show !

5. TERESA says:

I LOVE AMERICAN IDOL BETTER THAN ALL THE OTHER WANNABE TALENT SHOWS PLEASE DON’T GO, AND BY THE WAY THE JUDGES THAT ARE ON NOW ARE THE BEST JUDGES EVER. THE ONE’S THAT RUINED AMERICAN IDOL WAS WHEN THEY BOUGHT MARIAH CAREY, AND NICKI MINAJ ON ALL THEY WERE WORRIED ABOUT WAS THE WAY THEY LOOKED AND NOT THE SINGER, BUT I HAVE TO SAY THEY HAD THE BEST SINGERS ON THAT SEASON. I LOVE YOU AMERICAN IDOL WE LOVE YOU IN NEW ZEALAND.

6. Key says:

I would watch this season if they brought back the originals. So not interested in these judges!

7. I have enjoyed your entertainment all of its seasons. Im very disappointed to hear its ending. It is great entertainment. I wish you would reconsider…or at least replace it with a new talent show that is even better. I really enjoy watching the idol and will truly miss it. Im disabled…so getting out is a big problem for me. My entertainment comes from my home..Ive always missed Simon though? … I love his sarcasim.and bluntness. Please consider replacing with another great music reality show. Do it for all your loyal fans…I love american idol. It will mostv certainly be missed!

8. Djmoore says:

Just another great entertainment show, doing its best to push the liberal gay issue, too bad.

• TERESA says:

I AGREE WITH YOU AND YES I WELL DEFINITELY MISS THIS PROGRAMME I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR ITS RETURN HERE IN NEW ZEALAND AND THEN I FIND OUT THEAT THEY’RE GOING TO END THE SHOW. YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DOING. IF YOU HAVE TO YES PLEASE HAVE ANOTHER ONE ON EXACTLY LIKE THIS ONE PLEASE.

9. George Silguero Hernandez says:

All great things must come to and end! Very disappointing. American Idol is, as Jeopardy, an American Icon

10. Jill says:

Good, can Ryan seacrest go away forever? And take your karthrashians with you!!!!

11. sandra m. gatta says:

I am sorry to see Idol go/ as I have enjoyed it over the years… I think one of the problems with the show is that you were trying to change things up to attract an audience, go back to basics… and tonight I thought it was disgraceful our you disrespected the way they treated the 3rd. contestant (Jax)… to have her behind a screen and tell her that she was voted off the show/not even in front of the audience or the judges… just can’t understand that one.. totally disrespectful…and she was a much better performer then Clark… just don’t know where you are getting some of your votes from… a total disappointment this season.. and you need to apologize to Jax for the treatment your show gave to her..

12. Wendy B says:

noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! This can’t be! I’ve looked forward to this show every season. Its still a number 1 and instrumental in finding new singing sensations. Can’t something be worked out?

13. Ryan W.F. says:

And nothing of value was lost.

14. I don’t see Scotty McCreery’s name on that list ,it needs to be . He is a great country artist ,out then on tour ,making music .As far as AI goes I think they are wise to end it ,sometimes these shows go on for to long .

15. Ted says:

Jlo was one of the reasons why the show is down to its final season? When Jlo was on seasons 10, 11, 13, 14, Idol had the worst TV ratings in history and the producer’s couldn’t figure out she’s was one of the reasons for decline in TV ratings?

16. Theresa Thelusma says:

I do beleive if Simon ,Randy and Paula return the show will pick up what the they left,PLEASE COME BACK

• TERESA says:

YOU DREAMER SHE IS THE BEST MAYBE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE HER GO SHE’S AWESOME FOR SURE.

• TV101 says:

Of course sorry to hear this news but I think season “15” has a nice ring to it. A series can only go on for so long and even though “American Idol” creatively seemed to improve this season I think people were stunned when the ratings were not just there. There would be a great fun night and the next day the numbers were just not there. The writing has been on the wall all season. Viewers have just grown tired of the franchise and really at this point who could blame them? What else are producers, the judges, or Seacrest really going to do with that series? Kudos to Fox for making this tough decision and ending it with a planned fun season AI fans can look forward to. The alternative would be yanking it for low ratings in the middle of its run and really, how often are network execs able to give a series a proper send off? It doesn’t happen very often — but then neither does a series like “American Idol,” at one point having more viewers then the other three networks — COMBINED. This was happening in the 2000’s when network television was supposed to be dead! It is probably safe to say: American Idol, the LAST true big network television show. We’ll never see numbers, or people of all generations watching one show and one channel ever again for a regular scheduled primetime program. So with that it is a tad bittersweet as I do really feel this marks the end of weekly regular scheduled big network entertainment programming. That’s over. But good for Fox for those eight seasons when Idol just BLEW UP the other networks. It happened ONE LAST TIME folks.

17. I have watched American Idol and will miss it, but would rather see it go out flaming instead of just burning out. The judges right now are my favorites since the beginning with Simon, Paula and Randy! It has been a great run and turned out some amazing talent! I’m looking forward to the final season, I think it will be great!

18. Adam Lambert Should've Won says:

Yayyyyyyy! Now: lose Dancing With The Stars, The Bachelor, The Voice and America’s Got Talent and restore primetime network programming to being watchable again!

19. Jacques Strappe says:

Best news ever!!!! The only thing that would have topped this news if this past season were the last for both American Idol AND cheesefest ,The Voice’s as well. These shows are pure manipulative frauds that both mock any shred of integrity left in the music industry and mirror all the remaining bottom line driven hype and flash flooding the industry that passes for most new talent..

20. Emily says:

That sucks I wish they would stay, I think that they are the best singing show. I wish that they would stay

21. themechanic82 says:

Now you gotta come up the hard way! Death to all singing competition shows!

22. The novelty has worn out. The winners and contestants who do well on the show are no longer going on to La Clarkson type careers in music.Now they just go nowhere fast. Some have a little success but that peters out. The industry frown on people who go on reality shows to gain instant fame & fortune in the music industry. People want the acts to do the hard work, the clubs and years of performing. The Voice has yet to have a mainstrean act crack the top 40 charts. Country music doesn’t count. That is a totally different market then rock & roll, pop music.

23. Ernie says:

Great show….in the past….The problem as I see it is NOT the Host….is NOT the Judges….you can clearly put the blame on the people who make the calls. It has turned into a teen talent show….the age limit was much to low. I don’t care if 15…16….17 years old’s have talent…they do not need careers at that age….worry about your education first. Having these youngsters on took away the spirit of young adult talent that were booted out because of them. It really bored me to see that happen. So that’s why you’re cancelled. Ernie

• Ted says:

Wrong, when Idol had the original qualified judges, Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson, the TV ratings were strong because of the judges strict, and make strong judgement to the contestants’

24. Tim McKinney says:

Doesn’t hold a candle to the talent on the Voice!!!

25. to be honest with you the real talent never made it past the preliminary Judges
    the talent was in the parking lot.. i went to
    auditions in las Vegas and san Francisisco Randy Jackson was just our bass player here at perfection light production.I just got off the phone with him okay. everybody gotta start somewhere

26. kay says:

Not surprising I think the show has become more about the judges sometimes than the talent. I think season 10 when Scotty McCreery brought alot of people back to the show was one of its last good years. He has certainly done a stand out job in country music. Sad to see the opportunity for young artist to become noticed gone though.

27. Dakota says:

American Idol had a great run and it gave us Kelly Clarkson and Adam Lambert, for that I will always be grateful. There were others, depending on your musical tastes, but Adam and Kelly are both immense talents and fabulous human beings. Thanks, Idol.

28. tellymurray says:

I’m gonna miss it. I love the show.

29. This show is the real deal, taking unknown people who can sing and leading them through the IDOL University. Idol has produced so many stars that we love today. Even the runners-up have careers in music because of this show. Love the show and the results that continue to develop.

30. Ann says:

Sorry to read Idol is ending next season
    But since Simon left it has not been the same. The judges are way to nice. Harry’s remarks are way over their heads.
    He assumes the contestants have professional musical backgrounds. Keith is ok. Jennifer obviously used Idol to promote herself. She can go also. Maybe if Paula,simon and Keith were judges. Show would again be a hit. Contestants have no stage presence. They are very boring except for Jax.

31. Cinda says:

FINALLY! GOOD RIDDANCE!

• Dream Maker says:

Thank you for saying what I was thinking, Cinda!

• Dunstan says:

Cinda, I’m with you 100%. This reasonably pathetic Karaoke contest has overstayed its welcome. Unfortunately, I’m sure another nearly identical show will somehow manage to take its place. All these talent shows are mind-numbing to the nth degree.

32. josh says:

all the trouble started when they moved to wednesday thursday. If you can’t watch the whole season you won’t watch any at all. They did to themselves.

33. Stan Gary says: