Amazon, ‘Transparent’ Make History at Golden Globes

2015 Golden Globes Photos
Paul Drinkwater/NBC

Amazon proved itself a major player in the television field when its original program “Transparent” won the Golden Globe for best TV series, musical or comedy and star Jeffrey Tambor won best actor.

Not only was it Amazon’s first-ever Golden Globe award, “Transparent” also became the first online series to ever win a best series award, comedy or drama, at the annual awards show.

“My new best friend,” Tambor said of the digital media company during his acceptance speech.

The series stars Tambor as a father of three who reveals he identifies as a woman. There was a lot of love for the show on the red carpet prior to the awards. “Shameless” star William H. Macy, nominated for best actor in a TV comedy, said he didn’t bother preparing a speech because “I think Jeffrey Tambor’s going to win.”

In his acceptance speech, a visibly touched Tambor noted, “This is big. This is much bigger than me. Thank you to the Hollywood Foreign Press for putting us on the map and making people aware of our story.”

On the red carpet prior to the ceremony, creator Jill Soloway admitted she considered other homes for the series, but Amazon ended up being a perfect fit. “You want to be somewhere where they’re passionate about you,” she noted. “And they’ve been wonderful.”

Transgender actress Alexandra Billings, who plays Davina on the series, admitted she was surprised by the popularity of the show. “I knew the writing was fantastic, I knew it was a great group of actors,” she said. “But to have the public embracing us the way it has is overwhelming.”

In her acceptance speech, Soloway thanked “the trans community,” adding, “They are our family. They make this possible. This award is dedicated to the memory of Leelah Alcorn and to many trans people who died too young.”

Tambor echoed that sentiment in his speech, saying, “I would like to dedicate my performance and this award to the transgender community. Thank you for your inspiration, thank you for your patience and thank you for letting us be a part of the change.”

Backstage, Soloway spoke about how her own parent came out as trans three years ago. “It was a lot,” she admitted. “A big announcement. And my first thought was, ‘I love you, I’m proud of you, thank you for being you and telling me who you are.’ My second thought, a couple moments later, was, ‘I think i have a TV show.'”

Soloway elaborated that at that point, she knew little about the transgender community. She thanked Amazon for taking a risk, noting, “The content of the show is transformative.”

A visibly choked up Tambor thanked Soloway for the opportunity, noting, “I’m 70 years old, these (roles) don’t come along.” He added that he was grateful, “Not for the reviews or for awards…just to get it right. I’m just honored.”

1. ClaireD says:

I am impressed by this show, not because it is about transgender, but because of what it says about the effects of habitual secrecy in family life. All the characters are damaged by the lie at the center of their lives. It is far more than Mort/Maura’s gender identity. Anyone from a dysfunctional family knows how difficult it becomes to navigate life when family dynamics distort reality. It becomes second nature to lie or, perhaps more accurately, to not recognize truth.

2. Dusty Fohs says:

I watched five episodes over the weekend. It’s excellent and both awards were deserved. It’s a story about a family, not just a transgender person. Granted, the show will not be for everyone. If you’re looking for a story about a vanilla, Norman Rockwell family, this isn’t it. If you’re looking for an much. much edgier Modern Family, you’ve come to the right place.

3. Hey there! I’ve been following your website for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas
    Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the good job!

4. Joe says:

Transparent is a drama, not a comedy. Just because something is a half-hour long doesn’t make it a comedy.

5. Tom Evans says:

well done to the show! awesome work from amazon and congrats to Jeffrey Tambor on his win , to all the haters of the show, simply fuck off if you dont like it why even bother to waste your time commenting, get a fucking grip!

6. Patriot says:

Amazon made this SH1T?? Who do they think they are impressing- not a fraction of as many as they are sickening. Gonna have to rethink my Amazon Prime acct and activity.

7. Larz Larzen says:

Amazon does TV now? I’m confused. Anyway, never heard of it. I’ve better things to do with my time.

8. No Mo says:

Amazon account canceled.

9. Atomic Fury says:

The way Hollywood has become the main activist for anything NOT heterosexual, it’s hardly surprising that shows like these clean up at award ceremonies. It’s not that the subject is right or wrong, it’s the phoniness of it all that grinds my gears.

• Dusty Fohs says:

If you had watched the show before jumping to conclusions, you’d know that *SPOILER ALERT* the main character is attracted to women. These shows clean up at awards because they shed light on something that so many people don’t understand. Your post proves my point.

• akismet-0dc5fcbd56d10c58d9790ff0c43b8804 says:

I bet you never even watched the show, so how can you be so pretentious? im guessing you’re confidently wrong about a lot of things.

10. Bob Bofelli says:

Going to buy some Amazon (AMZN) stock, Bezos is a genius.

11. shemitch says:

Although I’ve never seen the show, I’m happy for Jeffrey Tambor’s win. That gives me hope that other web series will now have a better opportunity to be seen and chance to be taken a litle more seriously.

12. Dogula says:

I watched about half the series before giving up in disgust. Jeffrey Tambor was excellent. The plot and the supporting characters all stank. There couldn’t have been more bad cliches if they’d been trying! And gratuitous, painfully bad sex scenes abounded.
    Nope. Mr. Tambor deserved a much better vehicle for his talents. The show was BAD. But it was politically correct, so of course it won.

13. Robert Tulloch says:

So much for buying from Amazon anymore

14. D. Thomas says:

crickets……crickets

15. Sytten DeMai says:

YAWN…

16. BJO says:

Shame on you Amazon for attempting to profit off the sexual orientation / transgender individuals when YOU are one of the biggest discriminators in the employment sector today. Including those who are Veterans.

17. Fre says:

Could it have been more about the subject matter than the series itself?

18. Ricardo says:

I bet the amazon pay the judges and tell them to shut up.

19. Michael Rowe says:

Well said, JK. Honestly, Bob, did you take the time to think about how ignorant your comment would sound and just decide to post it anyway? Or were you seriously just not bright enough to know?

20. JK says:

A shocker, another dumb comment from Bob Andreas, that shows his bad taste and lack of empathy