Chris Pine in Talks to Co-Star in ‘Wonder Woman’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Chris Pine Wonder women Cast
Courtesy of DC Entertainment

Wonder Woman is about to get hot and heavy with Chris Pine.  Sources tell Variety the “Star Trek” actor is in negotiations to join Gal Gadot in the upcoming superhero pic for Warner Bros.

Pine would play Gadot’s love interest Steve Trevor in the origin story. Warner Bros. had no comment.

Patty Jenkins, who recently replaced Michelle MacLaren, is directing from a script by Jason Fuchs. “Wonder Woman” will be released on June 23, 2017.

Charles Roven is exec producing the DC Comics tentpole for Atlas Entertainment. Zack Snyder, director of “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” is also producing.

In the comics, Steve Trevor was an intelligence officer in the United States Army during World War II whose plane crashed on Paradise Island, the isolated homeland of the Amazons. He was nursed back to health by the Amazon princess Diana, who fell in love with him and followed him when he returned to the outside world. There she became Wonder Woman (and also his co-worker, Diana Prince).

Rumors had suggested that Scott Eastwood had landed the part, but insiders tell Variety that Eastwood was given a choice to test for the Trevor role or sign on for a guaranteed supporting part in “Suicide Squad,” which he opted to take.

Warners tested a handful of other actors but later decided to look at more high-profile names and go with a straight offer. Pine won over production execs and Gadot at his meeting, leading the studio to pursue him for the role.

Pine, having starred as Captain Kirk in the last two “Star Trek” movies, is no stranger to the fanboy world, but “Wonder Woman” will mark his first venture into cinema’s most popular genre and should lead to more opportunities in DC’s Justice League universe. Gadot’s Wonder Woman, of course, plays a key role in Snyder’s forthcoming “Batman v Superman,” which arrives next March.

The CAA-repped Pine is currently in production on the thriller “Comancheria” and will immediately jump into production on “Star Trek 3” afterward. He can be seen next in “Z for Zacharia” this August and co-stars in the Disney adventure pic “The Finest Hours” bowing next year.

He is also repped by John Carrabino Management and attorney Michael Gendler.

1. susan surles says:

Well when they were doing a tv series Brett Tucker had it for a nanosecond. Wish they would consider him.

2. Real Steve says:

Dang, I was hoping for Trevor Donovan as Steve Trevor. too perfect

• Justin Case says:

And I was hoping for a different WW. I’ve seen her in Fast and Furious and I just don’t see her pulling it off in anything other than physicality.

3. selina says:

Chris Pine is Wonder Womans Bitch?

4. David Benjamin says:

So..Ryan Reynolds is no longer going to be Green Lantern? I love RR..I guess he has his plate full with Deadpool. Can’t wait for that!

5. jimmy woo says:

I like Chris Pine but, Gal Gadot is a bit of a horse. Too bad Chris has to work with her because, she is sure to ruin it. Mr. Pine just doesn’t get a break.

6. Reblogged this on The Pop Culture Cafe and commented:
    So Chris Pine is talks with the mucky mucks to see if he can play Wonder Woman’s Steve Trevor. At one time I would be given in to all the casting cry outs of if he is wrong or right. Now I just sit back and hope for the best. In all honesty I have no idea who I would cast. I believe that it is because I have no faith in Warner Bros and DC doing a good job of this movie. In all honesty I have no faith in any movie adaption that DC and Warner do.
    I am not saying DC films will not make money. I just saying that the path of dark, grey depressing style that DC has chosen make me not want to spend my money on their films. Hell I get enough depressing shit on the News.
    Hey if I am wrong and the movie is good I can live with being wrong. But right now my money is staying in my wallet.

7. I’m so glad Chris is going to play Wonder Woman, first trans gender casting role, it’s so progressive, after all gender is a social construct like race or religion. only bigots would oppose Pine as Wonder Woman, like those that didn’t like a “black” man playing the Norse mythological figure, heimdaul in thor. It would be great if we had more POC replacing “white” roles too and vice versa, a “white” or “asian” Black Panther would also be very progressive.

8. Alasott says:

Chris Pine seems too “romantic comedy” to me to play Steve. Steve has his fun points in the comics, but Pine may make it over the top or be type-casted here. I’d rather have a lesser known or untested actor at least test for the part.

9. DorothyParkerlite says:

Casting is ok; Eastwood would have been more interesting. Pine is too recognizable as Kirk; it’s just going to be weird to watch. But story-wise, I’m gonna have to write this one completely off. There was just so much potential in MacLaren’s vision, it’s a shame WW won’t get a more in-depth origin story outside of the typical girl-meets-boy. Feels like WW deserves more than that. Hopefully, someone will do a remake in a couple of years, blowing this one out of the water, and give us fans a real story for this epic heroine.

• K says:

You should watch Monster, which features far more interesting character work than anything MacLaren has done.

10. BrianJ says:

I’m glad he’s not playing Hal Jordan. Casting him as Hal would have been too close to Ryan Reynolds.

11. Mad Love says:

Wow, Chris Pine was my fan cast for this role even though some fools argued against it. Pleasantly surprised if this happens. Funny thing is I tweeted Snyder and Roven this suggestion months ago.

12. Jennifer says:

The worst thing about this film is Gal Gadot.
    A shame that they haven’t changed the actress.

13. BW says:

Solid casting choice, I hope with works out.

14. Scott says:

Dammit! I wanted to see Pine in the role of Hal Jordan(Green Lantern) but this is great casting. Steve and Hal are both brave pilots, so I guess I kind of got my wish.

15. diegoelunico says:

This is great news! Chris will attract a lot of people to the movie theaters!

And also… does this mean Dan Amboyer is definitely playing Hal Jordan / Green Lantern?? I’m betting on it!

16. nerdrage says:

Aw! I wanted him to be Green Lantern.

17. noctis says:

He would have been amazing as green lantern

18. Stephen says:

This isn’t terrible casting, but he would have made a decent Hal Jordan.