Is Tom Hardy the Next James Bond?

Tom Hardy 007 James Bond Odds
JABPromotions/REX Shutterstock

A betting war is brewing across the pond for who will be the next James Bond. BoyleSports, an online bookmaker based in Ireland, has polled a new contender to take over the franchise, following Daniel Craig’s eventual departure.

The name is Hardy. Tom Hardy.

“The Next James Bond market has certainly come alive with all the support coming in for Tom Hardy, who is now 4/1 from 6/1 to take over from Daniel Craig,” said BoyleSports spokesman Liam Glynn in a statement.

The news is sure to leave Idris Elba fans shaken, not stirred. It follows Tuesday’s social-media outcry after 007 author Anthony Horowitz told the Daily Mail that Elba is “too street” to play the debonair English spy.

Elba is tied with former “Homeland” actor Damian Lewis as forerunner for the race with betting odds 3/1. Superman himself, “Man of Steel” star Henry Cavill, also has substantial support, with BoyleSports slashing the odds at 4/1 — matching Hardy.

“With the support showing no signs of drying up, we are expecting Tom Hardy to be the new favorite for the role sooner rather than later, which could result in BoyleSports being hit hard if Hardy lands the role,” Glynn said.

Other men rounding out the top 10 for the bookmaker are Michael Fassbender, Richard Armitage, Orlando Bloom, Dougray Scott, Lewis’ “Homeland” co-star Rupert Friend and Elba’s “The Wire” co-star Dominic West.

Although those close to the franchise expect Craig to reprise the role for at least one more sequel following the upcoming “Spectre,” Craig told Esquire, “I have a life and I’ve got to get on with it a bit.”

“I really don’t know. Honestly. I’m not trying to be coy,” he told the magazine. “At the moment I can’t even conceive it.”

1. David says:

OK.. James Bond … based upon what I’ve read, regarding the 6 actors that are up for the possible role .. C’mon (TOM HARDY) is definitely the new BOND …. why? he’s got the look, face, body type, all he needs is the same type of humor and sensuality Craig has used in the role. If he can work those two into his portrayal of Bond then you got a winner here.

2. God’s no. Good actor but looks like an ape, we already have that with Craig. Aidan Turner for Bond. He is a fabulous actor and looks the part. Gorgeous and amazing acting win win. The women would be coming in droves to see it.

• Go watch Mr. Turner in And then There Where None. As Philip Lombard, excellent and so Bond. He would bring sexy and charming back to the franchise which for the last several films have been lacking. Besides, Mr. Hard is too bloody short at 5’8″ ;)

3. Dean Hollingsworth says:

Tom Hardy is the man for the job. No doubt in my mind whatsoever.

4. Tom Hardy will make be perfect to play the role of BOND!!! CHARISMA has turned into a dull word cause it has not been the stand out point in the recent 007 movies… HARDY can rejuvenate the dull factor in the BOND movies… :p

5. Leon says:

Tom Hardy would be a good Bond, but I’m not sure if there are scripts are good enough to match is acting talent.

I’d also be mad, because if he does do Bond films, it’d take away a lot of time from other projects.

6. FlakesofSunlight says:

I am Big fan of Tom Hardy and would see Bond if he played him.

7. FlakesofSunlight says:

Idris Elba is not “too street” for Bond. He or Tom Hardy would be great for Bond. The Bond Franchise needs change, but who they choose for Bond is not the problem. The problem with the Bond franchise is that it is too predictable.

8. Billy says:

OMG are you serious? Out of that lot OF COURSE it has to be Tom Hardy,the rest are boring as hell.Damian Lewis? He is too old,ugly and a b grade actor at best.And Idris Elba? No way,you have lost half the audience right away there.LOL!

9. james celovsky says:

Tom Hardy is a interesting choice. Domanic Cooper who played Flemming could step into the role also

10. I think they better take a look at James Scott! He would be a perfect Bond!

James Scott Interview

James Scott Interview

11. Sheila says:

Aidan Turner as the new Bond

12. Nicholas Gorey says:

Can’t they get a guy who’s old-fashioned handsome? There are so many great actors out there. What’s with these average joes playing Bond? Hardy is a gifted actor, no doubt, but the Craig experiment should stand alone. It worked for its time, but now it’s time for tall and dashing again. We need some of the old Bond formula back, and that formula depends on a certain look.

13. cece sanc says:

OMG if Tom Hardy is 007, I will watch this movie like 500000000000 times

14. Bill B. says:

Craig has been great and reinvigorated this series unlike anyone expected. Keep him as long as they can, though I would think that as a serious actor he would get tired of playing the same role after a while. God knows Connery did. Hardy is a great actor, but I don’t think he’s right for this. This role doesn’t really require a great actor anyway. It does need someone with great presence though. Fassbinder might be right for the role, but I doubt he’d even be interested. Cavill is out. He’s too associated with Superman and he just played a suave spy in a film that failed badly. They wouldn’t risk casting him. I agree with someone else here that they won’t go with a A list actor because none of them will sign up for such a long term commitment. I’m sure there are many famous actors who would like to have fun with this role once, but they are not committing to being tied to this for 6 years minimum.

15. Stephanie says:

Richard Armitage would be perfect! He’s got the looks, the voice, the talent, and he could handle the physicality of the role. He’s my pick for sure.

• Therapne says:

I second that in spades – just look at some of the photo shoots he’s done: a classic James Bond just leaps from the page. But…. he may be a far too talented an actor to want to be tied to the Bond franchise for years on end. If anyone hasn’t seen series 3 of Hannibal, go and look at his Francis Dolarhyde to see what I mean.

16. David West says:

Idris Elba and Damian Lewis would both make very solid Bonds to be sure, but the thing that I surprisingly never seem to see anyone bring up is that they’re too old for the role at this point. They’re both only 3 or 4 years older than Craig is, and Craig will probably do one or even two more Bond films after this. So we won’t be seeing a new Bond even CAST until maybe 2018 or 2021, and won’t see them in a film for another year or two after that. That means that they’d be pushing 50 by the time they were actually able to star as Bond.

So far, every Bond actor has been between 30 (George Lazenby) and 43 (Roger Moore) when their first Bond film came out. Assuming one last Craig Bond film in 2018 and a follow up with a new actor in 2021, that would make Idris Elba and Damien Lewis 49 and 50 by the time of the film’s release, respectively. That’s just WAY too old for the studio to bank on them being in two or three sequels at that point. Actors should be FINISHING their Bond runs in their early 50s, not starting them. Hell, even Tom Hardy would be kinda old at that point at 44.

Henry Cavill is the ONLY actor whose name is name is being thrown around who would be the right age at this point. He’ll be 38 at the time that the next Bond will most likely come out. You guys are all looking at the wrong demographics. Whoever is going to end up being the next Bond is most likely in their early 30s right now. Hell, maybe even their late 20s.

17. H.M. says:

Tom Hardy was an inert and dull Mad Max (maybe why Theron stole the film-heck even the few minutes of the guitar rock guy on the truck was better than him). Hardy was good in ‘Bronson’ and Batman but,…henry Cavill was pretty to look at but also dull and woodish in ‘Uncle’…feh.

• mom2two says:

@David West…that’s what I have been saying about both Idris and Damian. They will be too old by the time Craig exits the role (I bet on him to do one more) and they reboot with a new actor. You are right the potential Bond is right now in his late 20’s or early 30’s. Tom Hardy needs another franchise like I need another hole in my head. I’d like to see them go with an actor on a verge of breakout. I think Richard Madden of Game of Thrones would be a good choice when the role becomes available. He’s 29 now (and Scottish to boot). I like the suggestion of Dan Stevens as well. He’s 32 now and would be at good age when the time comes. I think Idris Elba definitely would have made a good Bond if he were younger.

18. Randall Starr says:

Worst idea in the history of ideas. Elba and Lewis are poor ideas as well, in my opinion. Don’t switch just for the sake of switching, keep Craig until you have a clear choice.

19. I reckon most people would agree that Connery was the best and if you read the original books, he’s still the closest resemblance to the original character. To me, that character had a unusual blend of sophistication and cold blooded killer. He was a beguiling gentleman but as brutal as any pro killer. For some reason, the producers are afraid of this “magic mix and contradictory traits and IMHO, until they get the courage to find a man who you believe will KILL and have “class”, then the whole premise of Bond, licensed to kill doesn’t work. There needs to be a psychopath lurking behind that debonair facade. You believed it with Connery…possibly Lazenby but I reckon everyone esle has fallen short. They keep trying to “humanise”, probably reckoning they need to build audience “empathy” by making him Metrosexual’. Craig is just lost and confused…he doesn’t know what he is…”am I licensed to kill” or expected to be a “do-gooder hero”. Cut to the chase, give us the DARK SIDE…that is the book, that’s what worked, that’s the stories idea by Flemming, he knew these dudes in real life.

20. Daniel says:

Hardy, you screwd-up Mad Max. You will not do the same to Bond. Not that it´s that great, anyway. Just for the history.

Ride on the ego of being though of, and let it pass.

Or, stay out of film and TV altogether if it´s all the same to you.

Thanks.

21. Daniel says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Al Swearengen says:

Dan Stevens should be the new Bond. Just watch The Guest and you’ll see why.

I love Hardy but he’s not the right fit for Bond, and Idris Elba is too old.

• David Benjamin says:

He’s 42! That’s the perfect age! Roger Moore was older.

• Clark Griswold says:

I agree, Dan Stevens would be fantastic, and right now he’s in the perfect place, still very under-the-radar, and not associated with any one big screen part that would overshadow or compete with Bond.

23. crossie says:

I was just thinking, on the Idris Elba article, I mean, who else is really on the radar? Maybe Tom Hardy …

I haven’t really seen Elba or Hardy in Bond-like role, however; that’s not to say they couldn’t do it, it’s just I’d really like to see a screen test.

24. Anonymous says:

Finally! Tom Hardy as Bond would be awesome, now can we get Christopher Nolan to direct.

25. jane says:

Tom Hardy in every movie please.He’s got the talent and the looks for Bond.Make it happen!!!!

26. Paul says:

I like Damien Lewis. He is exotic looking enough and he was good in the Jaguar commercial stories. Further his career is not a full as Tom Hardy’s . Henry Caville is too muscle bound and is not British.
    Plus he just played Napolean Solo from the new man From Uncle movie. The problem is one of age.
    They need to be in their late 30’s or very early 40’s due to the physicality of the role. Craig has probably had enough because he is 47 and does not want to kill himself any further. Other than Never Say Never Again most of the Sean Connery Bond movies went from age 32 to age 41. Never Say Never Again did not have any serious fight scenes look say From Russia With Love and Goldfinger.

27. Carlton Penobscot says:

Tom Hardy looks like a white supremacist thug, not the posh James Bond. He’s even more of a knuckle-dragger than Daniel Craig. Please stop tying to push people who look like they should live in a trailer down by the river. Didn’t actors used to be attractive people?

• David Benjamin says:

Watch Tom in the new movie Legend..about the Kray twins. He cleans up well. I’m in the Idris Elba camp. He’s very suave.

• Usual Suspect says:

Ha ha! It’s called “being an actor”. If you don’t think Tom can play suave, check out his role as Eames In Inception, or Locke. It’d be a credit for it to be offered to him, but he might be bored with it. Playing criminals is what fascinates him most, he has said. Let Idris or Damian have it. Tom can’t be both Bond and Mad Max, can he?

28. Still Preferred ER says:

Dougray Scott or Fassbender could work. Tom Hardy is an excellent idea.

29. mj says:

Oh god, please anyone but Henry Caville. Of course like everyone else I want Idris Elba. I love Tom Hardy but I can’t imagine him even considering it. Why would he? He’s got an actor’s dream career right now.

30. therealeverton says:

~They tend to go with someone who is “known” but not an A-List type. We had the feeling that was why Craig got the role over Hugh Jackman in the first place.

I could live with HArdy or Elba, Fassbender too,. Trouble is a lot of the candidates are a very similar age to Craig in the first place.

31. Milliam Worris says:

Idiotic. They will go with an unknown because of $$$$ and an open schedule, not busy and expensive Tom Hardy.