Sylvester Stallone Announces ‘Rambo 5’ Title

Rambo 5 Sylvester Stallone
Courtesy of Lionsgate

After months of speculation, Sylvester Stallone has finally announced the title for the fifth (and seemingly final) “Rambo” movie, “Rambo: Last Blood.”

The actor simply tweeted earlier this week that he’ll be filming a gangster biopic about Gregory “the Grim Reaper” Scarpa after shooting “Rambo: Last Blood.”

Seven years have passed since Stallone last reprised the role of Vietnam vet John Rambo. The last film, “Rambo,” earned $113 million worldwide.

Since 2008, he’s talked about both retiring the character (who first appeared in David Morrell’s 1972 novel “First Blood”) for good and bringing him back for a last hurrah. Stallone apparently decided on the latter as he’ll be writing and directing and “Rambo: Last Blood,” in addition to starring in the film.

Stallone will be returning to another familiar franchise this month. He also tweeted that he’s headed to Philadelphia to play Rocky Balboa for the seventh time in director Ryan Coogler’s “Creed.” He’ll play the trainer of Apollo Creed’s grandson, portrayed by Michael B. Jordan. Coogler last directed Jordan in 2013’s critically acclaimed “Fruitvale Station.”

1. Rich Deckard says:

Rambo V: Last Prostate Exam

2. Thanks Sly for all the great inspiration motivation and inspiration you have given me over the years with the Rambo and rocky movies. delletchrisj@jmu.edu Looking forward to checking out Last Blood

3. jimeejohnson says:

Sylverster Stallone is a national treasure. Thank you, Rambo, for the countless hours of entertainment you have given me.

4. Rambo is the i have been watching his movies sense i was 7 years, now am 33 still like to watch his movies

5. Izzy says:

You go Johnny! We love you.

6. mohammad says:

I love you…

7. Giri says:

When rambo 5 start

8. peter says:

Good movies thou Rambo iv is my best so far

9. Osman Sesay says:

Good

10. JR says:

He’s going to be rocking a walker on the new Rocky movie.

11. daley coleman says:

can’t wait you go sly

12. Susan says:

Oh no!! Not another. Why ???

• cdhaskell says:

It is about the almighty dollar and Sly believe that he got another money making movie series. We both know if the movie make money, there will be a sequel real soon.

13. Blark Van Winkle says:

Been a huge sly fan for a while, but wow. He’s gonna draw last blood in what, soviet russia? and by last blood i mean, draw his cane for the first time? Guy’s gonna be 95 when he finally ends the rocky series too.

14. H.M. says:

It’s the greatest solution for writer’s block or creativity dying…every second or third thought is a Rocky or Rambo movie no matter what. Ya, that’s the ticket.

15. DREDD 2 says:

Rambo 4 was fantastic! on par with first blood for me. Great fitting ending, but i’m game for more if its as good as that. Hell, who am i kidding, i’d watch a Rambo vs Predator movie too! Love the character.

Again, Rocky 6 was great too, but i like the idea of him becoming the master in Creed. Taking Micky’s role as trainer. Especially as the last time he trained someone (rocky V) it went sour, so they could add that to the story of Creed. ie Reluctant.

Sly needs to play a Roman soldier or Gladiator too before his days are numbered. Some historical Roman epic or something.

16. Tony Key says:

Rambo/ Rocky you keep doing them I will keep watching them

17. Or Rambo/Iron poor blood..lol..I will watch it anyway..

18. Gary Poisson says:

It should be called “Rambo: Tired Blood”.

19. Honestly I’d rather Have Xena movie with Lucy Lawless and Renee O’Connor…

20. Al DeMatteo says:

No doubt he’ll be glamorizing violence using the guns he so vehemently protests about in the real world and wants real Americans to be stripped of. Maybe they should rename the movie Dumbo 5. He can’t act and his politics suck, so what’s there to like?

21. I’ll watch it! Would have called it Last Turnip, tho. Since there isn’t much blood left. :D

22. Will they finally kill him off? Like, plant a claymore mine under his toilet seat?

23. Mike McMeans says:

Sounds Great! I have enjoyed all of the Rambo films, and I bet this will be more of the same. Ignore the complainers…Rambo and Rocky have been very good franchises, and Stallone has played to his age instead of ignoring it like some older stars would do.

24. Gil Berg says:

This great news, from a great Actor…..

25. Chelios says:

I heard that he is supposed to have a wheelchair with gatling guns and rocket launchers.

26. Karen Naylor says:

I like the Rambo movies, because they gave something to the vets of Nam. I watched First Blood to cheers and tears from every vet sitting in the theater that day. It brought us together. It healed, so to all of you who are cutting down this man for making his movies with your smart remarks should think about that for awhile. That “old man” cared enough to make a movie for them, and thought enough about them to carry the story through all the times of Rambo’s life. It might have been fiction, but Rambo did what a lot of my brothers wanted to do. And to my oldest brother who is MIA, and to my brother who died his third tour two days before his second son was born “I wish you could see this movie. It is about a brave soldier.”

27. DvL says:

I think it should be called ‘Rambo: Last Blood Transfusion”

28. jOHN says:

I cannot wait for both of these movies to come out…..I am a huge fan of Rambo and Rocky….these movies never get old to me…..and seeing Sylvester stallone still kicking ass is freaking awesome

29. Paul says:

A final Rambo film. Maybe he could rescue my High School classmates who are still MIA in Vietnam

30. paul g says:

im coming for you murduch let me get the senior van and pick you up

31. Jenny says:

Isn’t he like 100 years old?

32. michelle says:

Can’t wait

33. Tim says:

Stallone fictionalization a real life story does not mean he didn’t write the screenplay for the film, nor does it mean the real boxer is entitled to anything.

34. RAMBOFAN says:

Stallone is the definition of never to old to do anything! Keep pumping brotha! #RAMBO

35. cdhaskell says:

I got a feeling that Stallone will decide to improve the Creed screenplay if he don’t like the original script.

36. Jay says:

I disagree with the making of any more “Rambo” movies. The last one ended with the man going home and at some peace with himself. Let him stay there. My father, a Vietnam veteran, and I both agreed the ending was appropriate because it let the man close that chapter of his life out and live his remaining days in peace on a farm. Don’t dishonor the man by bringing him back to fight some more.

As for “Creed”, I am all for it and I think Mickey would be proud that he was passing on his experience and knowledge. “Slip the jab….Slip the Jab, Southpaw!” As long as he isn’t in the ring, I’m very welcoming of it and will go see it.

37. In which Rambo rolls in his wheelchair, chasing muggers; uses his grabber to get metamucil off the grocery’s top shelf; and stores his walker on the front bumper of the bus, boarding with his senior pass.

38. Chaz Bunko says:

Good God, will it ever stop?

39. Lazybum says:

At this point, should it not be called “Last Bloodwork Results”…

40. heidi hamm says:

Good movies

41. Mike verrico says:

Is this a joke? Are you sure it isn’t April fools day?

42. empresstrudy says:

I don’t care how many drugs he takes, anyone can whip an old man

43. scottwotherspoon says:

They should have him implode congress and assassinate a president.

44. Scott A. says:

The last Rambo was by far the best of the series and I can not wait for the next one!!

45. Tim Hogan says:

good for him .he might be a little too old to be playing an action hero but that isnt stopping him from trying.the first 2 rocky movies and first blood are going to stand up forever.hes had an incredible career.hes made a lot of movies some pretty good a few not so good

46. The thing about the ” Rambo ” franchise I always enjoyed was it hit on that era’s troubled times. Post Vietnam hatred for Vets, the Cold War/Russian v Afghan, Genocide around the world etc. He isn’t scared to shine a Hollywood light on these issues. Is he going back to the well too many times? Well, he is one of 3 Iconic 80’s action stars that can still make it believable. Arnold is well past his prime and Mel is.. well Mel was run off unfortunately.

Sly is trying to hold on to something that made his career what it is. Its not different than people simply trying to keep themselves young for as long as possible or at the very least thinking they are.

Keep true to your ” roots ” is never a bad thing and the success of the last Rambo as well as Rocky, tell us we aren’t quite ready to let go either.

47. j t says:

Be much more interesting to see a young John Rambo drafted and then sent to Vietnam and how he acquired his skill set. A prequel to First Blood

48. IT 2 IT says:

Franchise slums unto franchise slums unto DECADES STALE franchise slums.

BLUH

49. well the critical success of John Rambo and the last Rocky movie helped jumpstart the expendables franchise. It seemed like Stallone fell into a great kinetic groove and didn’t want to get out. Everything seemed to lead to the next project and it seemed as if he was unstoppable. The last Rambo picture, was very graphic and real and a very good story for the hero as well. Very grim, very realistic. Placing the character in a modern day real-world danger and bringing to light the atrocities till being committed Stallone melded an iconic action character with a gripping story that not only does justice to the character but to Stallone as the writer and director as well. One of the first things that really won my respect for Stallone was the fact he wrote a lot of the stories for his movies. Rocky was a great story, and at the time I didn’t realize he wrote it. I thought it was well acted and well written but at that age you don’t really look at the credits, it wasn’t until I owned it on vhs that I realized he wrong it too. Of course on DVD we got to hear more of the behind the scenes vignettes so that added to it. I look forward to another Rambo movie, if it was half as good as the last one, then I’ll be happy.

• Bnk says:

Stallone didn’t write Rocky. He stole the character from an actual boxer he became friends with, made the movie, and then kicked the guy to the curb( never giving him any royalties). Sad and pathetic story, but it’s the truth about Stallone. Mind you, I’m a fan of his so I’m not berating the guy. Just putting some true light on the history of “Rocky”.

• David R says:

This is complete and utter nonsense. Rocky took inspiration from a number of well-known boxers (hell, the name alone owes to Rocky Marciano) and wrote an entirely original screenplay that he shopped for YEARS. Next time you say something, it’d do well for you to actually know what you’re talking about.

50. Jay Stevens says:

Ii actually enjoyed the last “Rambo” movie…more fights, death, action, suspense. Looking forward to seeing the last ” Installment “