Stephen King’s ‘It’ Finds New Director

Stephen King's 'It' Draws 'Mama' Director
Courtesy of Simon & Schuster

New Line’s feature adaptation of Stephen King’s “It” has gained a new director — Andy Muschietti, who directed 2013’s “Mama.”

Muschietti is in talks to replace Cary Fukunaga, who dropped out of the project over the Memorial Day weekend over budget issues. Fukunaga, best known for directing the first season of “True Detective,” came on board the project in 2012.

Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg are producing through their KatzSmith banner while Dan Lin and Roy Lee are also producing. Barbara Muschietti, sister of Andy Muscietti, is also expected to be a producer on the project.

King’s massive 1986 novel — with 1,136 pages in its original publication — was adapted as a TV miniseries in 1991 starring the late John Ritter and Tim Curry. The story follows seven outcast children who come together over summer break to take on a monster troubling their town, only to face their own personal demons in the process.

“It” is a shape-shifting villain who mostly appears in the form of a clown named Pennywise with the aim of attracting young children as prey. The entity first appears in 1957 in Derry, Maine — a fictional town that appears in several of King’s works. King is a native of Portland, Maine.

Will Poulter had been attached to play Pennywise before Fukunaga exited so it’s unclear if he will remain in the role, since Muscietti’s deal has not closed.

“Mama” starred Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and was a surprise success with worldwide grosses of nearly $150 million on a $15 million budget. Muschietti directed from his own script,  based on his 2008 Argentine short film of the same name.

Jon Silk is executive producing “It.” Richard Brener, Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter are overseeing  for New Line while Niija Kuykendall is overseeing for Warner Bros.

Muschietti is repped by WME.

The news about Muschietti was first reported by The Hollywood Reporter.

1. J says:

First off I liked Mama and so did a majority of critics as it’s currently fresh on rotten tomatoes. Second I think David Robert Mitchell should direct the It Remake mainly because It follows has a lot In common with It and was also very scary.

2. I was cautious about Fukunaga……but Muschietti, the guy who directed Mama? Mama was terrible. This is not at all encouraging news for ‘IT,’ which deserves to be nothing less than a top notch duo of movies.

3. GeorgeSteven says:

Mama sucked ass. CGI ghost isn’t scary.

4. Don Key says:

Muschietti achieved the difficult task of turning an genuine frightening short into a 90 minute snoozefest…. maybe he should adapt King´s “Insomnnia” instead

5. Jake says:

Mama was not good, the end was laughably bad. I would imagine this would follow suit.

I actually would’ve been interested if Cary stayed. Now it looks like another Poltergeist remake.

6. RS says:

They can’t top the original. Tim Curry was so creepy as Pennywise, my brother has a permanent phobia about clowns.

7. I am an avid S. King reader.I was fascinated the first time It. came to the screen, and loved it. I was most impressed with Tim Curry as Pennywise. I think T. Curry, magnificently brought Pennywise to life. I really don’t know how I’ll feel about a new actor taking his place. Shame that the original story didn’t leave room for a part two, with an older version of Pennywise. I will see this new movie, but I have serious doubts, as to whether or not this new version will live up to the original

8. jj19871 says:

Cary Fukunaga = overrated. A couple of episodes of True Detective does not make a good director. Upgrade!

9. jabalong says:

This whole project is a bad idea. “It” is a mammoth book and to do it justice requires at least a miniseries in length as the original showed. Trying to squeeze it into a film length is ridiculous. If anything, they might have gone the other direction and adapted it into a short-season ongoing TV show. Now that might have been interesting.

10. Al Swearengen says:

jfc talk about a downgrade.

11. mike says:

“Mama” is a mediocre B-horror movie and I regretted seeing it. A wate of time and money.
    I really don’t see how this guy is the right director. It should be an epic Mini-Series by Guillermo del Toro
    for example…

12. eddie willers says:

How in the world do they think they can top the original?!

13. David Weinehall says:

“The entity first appears in 1957 in the town of Derry, Maine.” <— This bit is incorrect; everyone who's read the book (heck, it's even mentioned in the TV miniseries) knows that IT has been around for hundreds of years.

The main characters of the book first *encounter* IT in 1957 though, but that's another thing entirely.

14. John says:

Mama was borderline unwatchable. Major downgrade for I.T.