‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Tickets Bought Mostly By Older Men

Star Wars The Force Awakens
Courtesy of Disney

Star Wars: The Force Awakens” shattered ticket sales records earlier this week.

According to theater marketing data firm Movio Media, men, with an average age of 34, were the ones who succumbed most to the force.

Movio found that 70% of ticker-buyers were males between 18 and 49 years of age, with an average age of 34. They consist of regular movie-goers, who patronize theaters once a month in groups (buying an average of 2.3 tickets per transaction). They also spend 2.6 times more at the box office than the typical moviegoer, and 67% of them catch movies within the release week, most on opening night. The majority are also drawn to tentpoles such as “Jurassic World” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

The “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” trailer, released during halftime of the “Monday Night Football” game, sparked the newfound fervor. It drew 112 million views in 24 hours.

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” opens Dec. 18.

1. What?????? You would think there would be a good slew of Female Star Wars Fans and Female moviegoers out there who would go purchase tickets to see the movie interested in learning more about Rey but, really?????? Mostly Men/Boys?

There’s a reason a Female character is one of the main characters.

2. Rogue 47 says:

Yup that sounds about what you would expect from a film that was marketed tremendously towards the Original Trilogy lovers while at the same time coming close to kicking abuse towards the Prequel Trilogy lovers … no wonder this demographic gets the tickets first. I hope the others will not be put off and come as well.

3. ginrnbsn says:

I’m sure many of these men bought tickets for their significant others! Which includes females, children, parents, and, partners. As for recapturing their past or youth, that’s great not sad at all. No matter our age, we remain young at heart, aging doesn’t change what they like. It can become harder to do the things they love, and they can live vicariously and have fun while at it. I’m interested in these upcoming movies, despite seeing only one of the prequels, which I found dull. It was the first one I think. These upcoming movies have past cast members and I expect it to move the franchise along, and be fun too! I’ve always preferred Star Trek, (all things, shows, movies, upcoming Renegrades productions), because it continued, and didn’t just stop. I’d love to see Star Wars do the same. It would be a very cool, & exciting event if they were to do a “crossover” movie! That, to me, would be just plain awesome!!! Ticket sales will be from all ages, genders, and races if these new movies are at least as good, as the originals!!! I got a kick out of Paul Brno’s comment! Totally agree with all but one comment, everyone enjoys pleasant past memories. It’s not any different than preparing a meal passed on within a family, or watching the World Series, etc., trying to “recapture” pleasant memories of a serial killer; that’s sad and horrific. May the Force Be With us All , who aim to help, not hurt!! :)

4. ginrnbsn says:

5. No wonder older men are buying tickets to this movie. They want to recapture the past. How sad.

• H.M. says:

Plastic surgery, tummy tucks, boob enhancements, botox. etc,….yes lady(?) you are right about guys trying.

• Jonathan Bowen says:

First, loving a thing isn’t sad. You sound like a very sad person in fact. Star Wars is forever and many of us have loved it for a very long time. What’s sad is trying to put down what other people like. Get a life.

6. Paul Brno says:

In a nursing home in a galaxy far, far away……..Darth Vader, Chewy & Yoda & Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) & Han Solo (Harrison Ford) & CPO-3 & R2-D2 … after all these years & all these episodes they are all now residents of the Star Wars Nursing Home. May the force be with you!

7. Jacques Strappe says:

18-49 is a pretty big age span and probably more likely to have some disposable income and the credit card necessary to buy the advance sales. Thirteen year olds, not so much.

8. Al Shumate says:

Wait til it hits the theaters, the average age will be older. I’m 70 and remember seeing the first ones.