‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Poster Revealed, Tickets to Go on Sale Monday

Star Wars the Force Awakens
Courtesy of Disney

As “Star Wars” fans (and theaters) continue to count down to the release of “The Force Awakens,” Disney and Lucasfilm treated them to the new official poster for the movie on Sunday.

In releasing the new poster, Regal Cinemas also announced that tickets will go on sale on Monday, and the “Star Wars” Twitter account confirmed rumors that a new teaser will air that same day during “Monday Night Football.”

The poster, unsurprisingly, doesn’t veer too much from the classic “Star Wars” style, and prominently features new characters alongside some familiar features. Perhaps most noticeable is Daisy Ridley’s Rey, who’s wielding a staff. Also on the poster are John Boyega as Finn, a masked Adam Driver as the evil Kylo Ren and returning “Star Wars” stars Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher as Han Solo and Princess Leia, respectively.

Fans will also have the opportunity to take another journey to the galaxy far, far away with a marathon of all six “Star Wars” films. The “Star Wars” event begins on Dec. 17 and will culminate with the debut of “The Force Awakens” on Dec. 18. Regal Cinemas, AMC Theatres, Cinemark, Alamo Drafthouse and El Capitan Theatre are among the participating locations.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” the seventh installment in the mega-franchise, will hit theaters Dec. 18. It’s directed by J.J. Abrams and also stars Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o and Andy Serkis. The “Monday Night Football” game between the New York Giants and the Philadelphia Eagles, during which the teaser is expected to air, begins at 5:15 p.m. PST/8:15 p.m. EST on ESPN.

1. rob in michigan says:

spoiler: Luke Skywalker is in episode 8 and my guess 9…..

2. Adrian says:

Where’s Drew Struzan when you need him – this poster is a mess – in design – storytelling and lack of emotion.

3. Alex says:

To compare it to the older posters it seems that Rey will have a have much more prominent role in the film than expected. Everyone is pumped about the old guys returning to the film but they’re below Chewbacca, R2D2, and C3PO. The order and size of the characters to me suggest that the characters below Finn are filler. They may still have plenty of screen time, but the main story is going to be pushed forward by Kylo Ren, Rey, and Finn. As for Luke, I agree with the others comments. You would disappear for a long time too if you had no love interest as of the last film and a fancy robot hand at your disposal.

4. jazz says:

the writer here says that the poster doesn’t veer away too much from the ‘classic’ star wars style…he must be very young, because the classic style had nothing to do with this jumbled crap…this is a style from the second trilogy, which sadly the dvd output copied for both trilogies…

the original (new hope, empire strikes back, return of the jedi) posters were simple and special…these just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks…

in the immortal words of keith richards…this poster is ‘rubbish’…

• therealeverton says:

“very young”? Well not really the films were done by 1983 and even with the many VHS re-releases we’re talking 20 years ago, so you could be well in your 40s and not remember the exact detail of the “original” posters. They did follow that style, there may have been “less” going-on, but a central image, with a battle scene or two playing out in the background and maybe some other characters or space his. That’;s how I remember Star ~Wars posters. Simply adding “more” doesn’t’;t mean it isn’t in the style of those old ones and especially when you’re trying to recall something you last paid attention too a decade or 3 ago.

This poster has focus and symmetry. like ALL things “arty” people will have their own likes and dislikes, but this poster isn’t a mess, it doesn’t lack focus and it doesn’t have the feel of “let’s see what sticks” to me. It very clearly showcases the three main characters with “good” and “bad” on either side of the heroine. other important characters are shown smaller and we see key “dogfight” scenes on either side.

Some people won’t like it, again as always, but it clearly has been thoughtfully put together and it’s disingenuous to suggest otherwise. That doesn’t mean you have to like it of course.

Like superhero costumes, these things evolve over time and t there have been numerous posters for the original trilogy and then the prequels and the whole thing. That which appears to stick in the mind, which is most remembered is deemed the “classic” , but is often not the “original”.

5. Given that it is Episode 7, there’s an inevitability to that at least on some level, for those who went to see either the first second or both trilogies at the cinema. Even with the second trilogy there’s a large number of people who didn’t do that, or didn’t see any at all. I’m not pre judging the thing based on a very small amount of information. The film has interesting actors in it and a decent mythology to build a story on. I’ve already seen the kind of imagery in this film I didn’t see in any of the others and the only negative I have seen is that ridiculous cross guard lightsabre.

• therealeverton says:

OK…So why have you copied my post? I’m guessing you were going to add something but it got cut off somehow?

6. Daisy is not holding a light saber DS.

7. Pete says:

Messy poster. No real focus. Poor composition.

8. Riley says:

Awesome poster! I’m so hyped right now!

9. Murray says:

Love the poster! New trailer tomorrow!!!!

10. Alexander says:

No Luke only adds to my suspicions that they’re going to kill him off. And I agree with a lot of the other commenters; I also think there’s too much going on in this poster. They should have just stuck with the Drew Struzan poster he did for the convention. Hopeful but still nervous about this film.

• therealeverton says:

IIf they were killing him off I think he’d definitely be on the poster.

Him not being there just adds to the idea that there’s some kind of mystery going on with him.

• Jedi77 says:

I agree. If this was his last appearance, he’d be on the poster.
        Solo is being killed off, and Luke is probably in the shadows for most of the film, making an appearance in the end to foreshadow a high profile in the sequel.

11. 10/18/15 4:10p Variety Alex Stedman Star Wars Vll The Force Awakens
    Poster: Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker is that him in the tiny photo on the Poster?

12. Sam Valley says:

Where’s Luke Skywalker?

13. Buzz says:

I’m sorry, what is going on in this poster. No dynamics or passion at all. Just a bunch of stuff shoved in there. The Guardisns of the Galaxy had a better poster….. bet Guardians is a superior film as well.

• Jonathan L. Bowen says:

Yeah, ok. Guardians of the Galaxy, a Marvel film with no real message but a lot of fun, is going to be better than a Star Wars film. I don’t think so buddy! The Force Awakens is going to be incredible. And not just a movie, which is all Guardians of the Galaxy is.

• therealeverton says:

Star Wars minimal message and Guardians had about as much as a Star Wars film, love saves the day. I’m the one questioning this assumption on Star Wars, but I’m afraid your comment doesn’t hold water. Star Trek is the message machine

• Bill B. says:

I’ll bet Guardians is a better film as well. It had some originality. This seems very similar to the late 90’s when the second trilogy was starting. So much anticipation and excitement and publicity and nearly everyone hated the first one and not many liked the other two either. These three films have to be the most commercially successful films that most people disliked ever filmed.

• therealeverton says:

Ah the internet and the 21st Century with the overuse of absolutes. Everyone didn’t hate the first film at all. Many people loved that film and many people hated it. It divided people, but , particularly for those people that hadn”t seen the original trilogy in cinemas, or even at all, they just found it very entertaining. And many people disliked the 2nd film, but again many liked it (Why? I don’t know, it had its moments I guess but was mostly garbage to me), hence big drop offs in box office and the third film split people again, Some found it redeemed the whole thing, even if it was flawed and still had the handicap of an increasingly poor Hayden Christensen; but it got mostly good reviews and they where echoed by the public’s response to the film.. But don’t let the chat-rooms kid you that #”everyone” hated it, plenty of people liked at least one of those films. The balance changes dramatically from “fans” to “newbies”, but they sold plenty of copies for reasons other than fan(atics) who felt compelled to buy stuff they hated to complete a set.

Now this isn’t saying they were awesome films, just injecting a little reality into this idea that they are universally despised, because they aren’t.

• therealeverton says:

Sigh. I love Guardians,I own it, but how can you possibly know it is a better film when you haven’t seen Ep 7?

• therealeverton says:

I kow you say “bet”… I just find it an odd thing to say. There’s nothing to suggest this film won’t be very entertaining. Guesswork from a poster?

14. Bill B. says:

That very unoriginal and overly detailed poster is a rather ominous sign. I can’t fathom that this will be a failure, but the movie better be more original than that.

• therealeverton says:

It’s a Star Wars Poster…It pretty much HAS to follow that style.

• therealeverton says:

• Bill B. says:

So did the last trilogy and they were all mediocre, except for the first one which was worse than that. I was hoping for something bold and new. It already has a been there, done that feel to it.

15. Danny says:

Not a great poster. I see they’re repeating themselves again. A new Death Star. How unoriginal. I did hear that currasant gets blown up, so guess that rumour was true. How dull.

16. Kthulhu says:

Talks about new poster, doesn’t post image. Article fail.

17. Arod says:

Its a staff. Literally the one shes running with in the first picture of the article.

18. eqquesz says:

It needs to fade away back to sleep. This is getting worse then another Halloween or Jason ‘Awakens and get’s killed again ‘ remake. This is LAME. And, as the early morning dew, people will waste their money and start with their Spock and Yoda quotes around this time.

19. Space Jesus says:

Daisy Ridleys character Rey isn’t wielding any kind of lightsaber: thats a powerstaff.

20. Richard says:

Interesting poster. Luke Skywalker is noticeably absent. Also, the unusual lightsaber belongs to Kylo Ren, not Rey, who is holding some kind of staff as far as I can tell.

• imutau says:

I was also saddened that Luke wasn’t featured in the poster. I do hope this does not mean his part in the movie is as minimal.

• Jedi77 says:

His part probably is minimal, but only because they are saving him for a larger part in the sequels. That’s my guess, anyway.
        It’s the only explanation for his absence on the poster.
        If he was getting killed, he’d be on the poster.

• duke says:

Just a complete guess on my part, but I’m guessing Luke’s part is minimal. I’m thinking he’s in hiding and doesn’t show up until the end of the film teasing a bigger role in episode 8?? As for rumors that Luke dies in this one, I’m guessing not. My money is on Han being killed in one of the new movies. Ford has suggested Han get killed at the end of episode 4 and then wanted him killed off in 5 and 6. I’m thinking Harrison Ford only agreed to come back if they finally grant his wish that Han Solo dies in some heroic act.