‘Star Wars’: Adam Driver Says ‘Force Awakens’ Is Better Than the Prequels

'Star Wars': Adam Driver Says 'Force
Gregory Pace/BEI

Adam Driver, who stars as the villainous Kylo Ren in the highly anticipated “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” makes his allegiance to the franchise’s latest installment very clear in a new VICE News segment.

Driver, who’s a former Marine, founded Arts in the Armed Forces, which is a non-profit that brings contemporary theater to those in the U.S. Military and aims to strengthen the relationship between military personnel and the theater community.

After returning home from his military duty, Driver resorted to acting as a coping mechanism and as a way to connect with others.

“Putting words to feelings for the first time, I was making the human connection of being in the military through theater. And in doing so I felt less alone,” he says in the video.

This Vice News segment follows Driver, fellow actors Joanne Tucker, Natasha Lyonne, Peter Scolari and others as they journey to the Middle East and attempt to expand on-base entertainment opportunities. According to Driver, current offerings don’t extend far beyond country-western cover bands or the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.

As Driver and other actors are walking through a base cafeteria to spread the word about an upcoming theater event, one soldier presses Driver about his upcoming “Star Wars” film.

After Driver denies a request to share “the secret,” the soldier then asks him if “Force Awakens” is better than the prequels, to which Driver responds with a resounding, “F-ck yeah!”

That confident response clearly speaks for itself. See the full video below. (Driver’s emphatic comments about “Star Wars” come around the 24-minute mark)

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” bows in theaters Dec. 18.

1. Nanny Mo says:

I think he’s right but only a classless dork would say something like that. And, as much as I enjoyed his role, he was not as good as Darth. But, oh well. On to the next film! I only saw this new one once and that was enough, but I will see the next one.

2. Stella Maris says:

Wtf??? It was just a casual conversation, like nothing that serious to make a statement. Also even if it’s true, like duh of course he need to believe that his work will be better than previous movies. Why would he say “no”, so what will make those people convince that it’s worth his time to be a part of a project that doesnt even aim to be a better one. Gossip gossip again!

3. mizkirsten says:

I see you, Eric Bogosian – probably the greatest and most unsung actor of my generation. And you’re still everything, judging from this video. Saw you at PS122 back in the day. Mind blown. I have two posters from your Franklin Furnace show ~1990 still hanging in my house. Cuz you’re THAT amazing.

4. There’s no such thing as a “former Marine.” Once a Marine, always a Marine.

5. Bub says:

I can’t see the video because the ads are covering half the screen. Horribly designed site.

6. Elsa says:

As an army brat, well former brat now that my Dad is retired,I think what Adam Driver is doing for the men and women in the military is exceptional. It is also very inspiring as I think often we forget how we can use our individual talents (no matter how small they may seem to us) to affect others. It makes me want to do more than what I am doing in my everyday life. BTW- yes the prequels were subpar as far as the acting, but the stories and themes were solid. That’s why I love Star Wars and Star Trek as well–it’s the themes and how timeless they are. JJ and crew did a good job with Awakens. We’ll see where it goes from there.

7. Nick says:

That’s probably what Kylo would say…(of course, I disagree)

8. derekduquesne says:

It’s not like it takes much to be better than the prequels.

9. LCPL says:

The video below is a very noble and nice thing for Adam Driver and his group of actors do be doing for active duty reserve and veterans and their families. We should take the time to learn about the person and where they come from and the struggle they have had to endure before we bash them. Have an open mind, so we may learn grow adapt and evolve

10. David says:

For future reference, please don’t make the video auto-play.

11. Hansen says:

Omgggggg Variety!!!!!!!!!!! Omgggggg!!! O mmm gggvvg!

12. Bren says:

The prequels sucked ass and were dreadfully horrible.

13. Lou says:

Paul Blart Mall Cop was better than the prequels so that’s not saying much.

14. Jimmy says:

Other news: Rain is wet.

As for people that still like those movies: I too, was an unquestioning consumer once, ready to absorb any Blockbuster no matter the quality of the writing/acting/directing/etc. Those days were better, in a way. Simple.

15. Old Ben says:

Well yeah. It’s probably going to be better than all previous Star Wars. I love the OT and enjoyed the PT for what they were, but Abrams was born to make this movie. As for RotS, if Disney would make a Special Edition of it, CGI out all of Anakin’s tears and groveling after he turned to the Darkside, Episode 3 would be the best Star Wars ever.

16. shane says:

Ive followed star wars since empire in 1980 and im telling adam that revenge of sith is better than the original star wars and at worst the 3rd best star wars film.
    So he may be right but it will need to deliver to match sith.

17. Tim says:

Driver is a hack who probably also thinks “Girls” is worth watching… Prepare yourselves for P.C., Disney and Abrams crap. Zelda and the The Wiz battle the dark side.

18. Paul says:

Everything and anything is better than the prequels

19. finngodo says:

Well, just about everything is better than the prequels. The cult of prequel defenders that make excuses for everything will show up I. 3….2….1….

20. David says:

Driver is probably the one American actor, aside from the OT cast, I’m actually interested in seeing preform. I know Harrison, Mark, Carrie, Peter, and Anthony are going to be tremendous, as they were in 4-6. Andy Serkis is a masterful mo-cap artist, but driver I’m sure will be amazing.

21. Thanks to Adam Driver, I have no desire to give “The Force Awakens” a chance. He should have kept his mouth shut.

• Howie says:

Bye, keep your ass home and watch those shitty awful prequels.

• Bob says:

The prequels sucked. Lucas couldn’t direct traffic.

Bring on The Force Awakens, it actually looks like a Star Wars movie.

• Derek says:

There is no star wars without George Lucas

• shane says:

Just my opinion but if you think the original star wars is better than revenge of the sith then im donald trump.
        Ok the space battle outdoes siths space battle so point taken but if you can tell me one other area that star wars 4 outdoes revenge of sith then we must be watching another movie and ive followed star wars since 1980

22. He thinks it’s better? Good for him!
    Why exactly should that influence our opinions anyway?
    Considering JJ’s record i don’t think it will be.

23. mightymad says:

… Not at all a very high bar to beat, Adam.