‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ Gets Release Date; Spinoff Movie Called ‘Rogue One’

Disney and Lucasfilm have announced details of the upcoming “Stars Wars” films at its annual shareholders meeting in San Francisco.

Rian Johnson has also been confirmed to write and direct “Star Wars: Episode VIII,” which will hit theaters May 26, 2017.

Gareth Edwards’ upcoming standalone film, starring Felicity Jones, will be called “Rogue One.” The movie starts filming in London this summer and opens Dec. 16, 2016.

“Rogue One,” based on an idea by Oscar-winning vfx supervisor John Knoll, was written by “Cinderella” scribe Chris Weitz.

Kathleen Kennedy will produce the standalone film alongside Knoll, Tony To and John Schwartz.

Plot details of “Rogue One” are unknown.

Edwards’ spinoff movie is one of two known “Star Wars” spinoffs in the works at Lucasfilm and Disney. Director Josh Trank (“Chronicle”) is developing another top secret feature.

It’s unclear how both spinoff features will play into the upcoming seventh chapter “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” if at all. Speculation has Edwards’ and Trank’s movies focusing on the early days of original characters Princess Leia and Han Solo.

The J.J. Abrams-directed “Force Awakens,” which opens Dec. 18, features original cast members Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher as well as newcomers like John Boyega and Adam Driver. It will take place 30 years after 1983’s “Return of the Jedi.”

Disney is banking heavily on the “Star Wars” franchise after acquiring Lucasfilm in 2012 for $4 billion. The studio is also planning “Star Wars”-themed attractions at Disney parks across the globe.

1. Dotyczy to również obdarowanych, którzy otrzymali prezenty od
    krewnego z grupy podatkowej, ale nie zgłosili tego faktu do urzędu skarbowego.

2. YEs It’s Wedge its just got to be Wedge Antilles. AKA Rogue Leader/One.

3. Karen Sherry Brackett says:

Personally, I would love to see the franchise to an episode on the Dog Star to help un-brainwash all the brainwashed masses of Islam who believe “Allah” aka the Dog Star is a god. Seriously, we all know a star is just a giant ball of gas on fire. As for Rogue One, being a geeky, video playing fan of Star Wars in my opinion the title probably suggests an attribute of the lead character; however cannot know for sure by the title and certainly looking forward to finding out.

4. jay jones says:

It’s not episod VIII, it’s a stand alone movie. It’s episode nothing, just “Rogue One.”

• mstrainjr says:

I don’t think you read the article. It’s talking about two Star Wars movies: Episode VIII, which is coming out May 26 2017; and Rogue One, which comes out December 16, 2016.

5. Think the publicity bandwagon missed a trick here. Yes 40 years after the original is great but the date is so close that they should have gone for May The Fourth!

6. SteUK says:

I get that they want to tie into the 40th anniversary of the original Star Wars, but May 2017 is a little too fast for Episode VIII. It’s less than 18 months after Episode VII. If Disney are just going to be churning these films out rather than taking the time to craft them, they will run Star Wars right into the ground. Perhaps they should re-release the original Star Wars in 3D for May 2017 and then release Episode VIII in 2018. I wouldn’t want to saturate the market with Star Wars like the Marvel Universe has.

• AwaIs says:

I agree with you, any true fan of the Star Wars will have these sentiments. It feels like Disney is anxious on getting its pay back for buying Lucas Films. We all r expecting the upcoming movies in the franchise will be spectacular/exceptional and made with due diligence and finace as they truely deserve. Disney, please dissapoint us.

7. I have been a big star wars since 83 I was month old when #6 came out I have followed the saga for years and taught myself the ways of the Jedi and study the lightsaber arts from the movies and the force the movie should be released on December 18 2015 as planned just stalling it will make us star wars fans upset if we have to wait till 2017 that is not right it took 3 years for all 6 it shouldn’t take this long to make it so yeah us star wars fans would like it to be released in May not the winter season that’s why George Lucas made us happy since 1977 to 2005 since 2005 I can’t believe it took 10 years to do this I hope u guys don’t let George’s fans down big time we will be expecting the same how George did the 6 films so yeah

8. Alan says:

You fan boys need to chill with the cynicism. I grew up on star wars, played the games, read a good deal of the expanded universe etc – be excited for something new. We get a star wars movie that lucas isn’t touching – made by fans of the star wars universe. The odds of this new content being awesome are very high.

You don’t own the IP. It isn’t up to you. No one cares what you think about something you haven’t seen yet.

9. SR Mitch says:

Fortunately, I have plans that day.

10. csGrimm says:

hurrdurr biggest #1 ultra uber fan bsg & st:g blah blah. But no seriously the more Star Wars in my life the better. Anything is better than the Holiday Special. Spin offs are cool but to hell with them killing the Extended Universe.

11. cam says:

Biggest fan of the Original Trilogy you will ever find. Zero interest in spin off films.

12. Chainmaker says:

Missed a trick there maybe? surely May 4th would have been better?

13. Colin Abercrombie says:

The news is good to hear, however.. The off shoot is going to center Leia and Solo? @$#& Go with Revan from KOTOR or any other EU Characters.

• Alan says:

The expanded universe isn’t being addressed at all. Disney has already spoken to that point numerous times. Enjoy that expanded universe for what it was. Enjoy what will be created going forward.

14. michael miller says:

So they are just skipping episode 7!

15. Ensō says:

Reblogged this on Quantum Multiverse and commented:
    I hope Denis Lawson decides to play a part in “Star Wars: Rogue One” at the very least.

16. Sounds like a piloting story. That’s cool, esp if the pilot is a female for once. let’s walk the walk here, beyong the animated tv shows featuring strong women.

17. Chris says:

With the latest revelations in Star Wars Rebels of Ahsoka Tano as the leader of the rebellion and the way she exited Star Wars Clone Wars, I’m throwing my hat in the Rogue One movie being about her.

18. VoiceofKane says:

A title like “Rogue One” makes me think it’ll be about Wedge Antilles, since he was the second leader of Rogue Squadron (and they’re definitely not going to make a Luke movie…).

• Justin says:

I would love to see a Wedge or Rogue Squadron movie but since all of that history has been erased who knows what we’ll get.

19. Rogue One comes out in only a year and a half? That’s kinda quick isn’t it?

• Devin says:

It’s actually been in the works for quite a while now. A year and a half is plenty of time for principal photography and post-production work.

• John Doe says:

If you read the article you’d have noticed it starts filming THIS summer and releases next year. That doesn’t seem like nearly enough time.

20. I’ve been a Star Wars fan since I saw the original film at the Town Cinema Theatre in Kankakee Illinois in 1977 at the age of 14. I’m a huge fan of the ENTIRE franchise, and while I hate to see the way some fans have vilified George Lucas for the prequels I am looking forward to seeing what J.J. Abrams gives us with Episode VI. Having said all that, I keep reading all these articles about the plans for the stand-alone spinoff films and Disney’s plans for the franchise and can’t help worrying about the possibility of TOO MUCH Star Wars. There are those who point at oversaturation of product as having damaged the Star Trek franchise and putting it in a state of limbo prior to Abrams’ reboot of that series. I’ve always viewed new Star Wars films as a treat. But as any kid who has ever overindulged in Halloween or Christmas candy and given themselves a bellyache can tell you, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

• Bea says:

I agree about the oversaturation. BUT, I’d love to see a movie about a young Princess Leia, working in the Imperial Senate as a teen and secretly working for the Rebel Alliance. However, I have zero interest in any of the other spinoffs I’ve seen so far. (Reposted, accidentally posted in the wrong thread below.)

• Myles Nelson says:

I agree that over saturation is a possibility. That being said, I don’t know if having a film per year automatically screams over saturation. For example, Marvel has released 2 films a year and because Guardians and Cap 2 were so good, I am begging for more. Marvel has proven that as long as the movies are great, one film a year can be a good number, and will be a treat.

21. Living the Geek Life says:

Reblogged this on Living the Geek Life.

• Bea says:

Whoops, wrong thread. :)

• Bea says:

I agree about the oversaturation. BUT, I’d love to see a movie about a young Princess Leia, working in the Imperial Senate as a teen and secretly working for the Rebel Alliance. But I have zero interest in any of the other spinoffs I’ve seen so far.

22. James Niehm says:

I think it is a great Idea… we can get a good look at Han and Leia’s 3 kids or when Leia stars her jedi training

• Bobby says:

I think when they said early years of those two, they meant their stories prior to Episode IV. As of now, any of the story involving Leia and Han’s children or her becoming a Jedi are no longer part of the storyline, so when VII releases, the two of them might not even be married.