Carrie Fisher Pressured to Lose Weight for ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Star Wars Actors Where are they
Courtesy of Lucas Film; Portrait: Rex/Shutterstock

Carrie Fisher has revealed that she was pressured to lose weight for her role in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

In an interview with Good Housekeeping, Fisher said she was pushed to lose more than 35 pounds for the new film.

“They don’t want to hire all of me – only about three-quarters!” Fisher said. “Nothing changes, it’s an appearance-driven thing. I’m in a business where the only thing that matters is weight and appearance. That is so messed up. They might as well say get younger, because that’s how easy it is.”

She added, “When I do lose the weight, I don’t like that it makes me feel good about myself. It’s not who I am. My problem is they talk to me like an actress but I hear them like a writer… We treat beauty like an accomplishment and that is insane.”

Fisher’s revelation echoes her recent comments to “Force Awakens” co-star and franchise newcomer Daisy Ridley. “You should fight for your outfit,” Fisher said in a conversation with Ridley for Interview Magazine. “Don’t be a slave like I was… I am not a sex symbol, so that’s an opinion of someone. I don’t share that.”

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” bows in theaters Dec. 18.

1. r543d says:

Carrie Fisher is older now. At her age she shouldn’t have to conform to the same standards as a young female actor in her 20’s or 30’s. She’s at the point where she can easily accept or reject any role she wants (Especially Star Wars). As far as I’m concerned ‘The Star Wars Franchise’ was LUCKY to get her to do another movie. Her role in ‘The Force Awakens’ worked regardless of her appearance. You didn’t see her fighting the bad guys. She was a general now providing tactical support. If she were written in as a more ‘Hands On’ person then I think naturally she would want to get in shape for the role but as I said earlier she don’t have to because she’s at the age in her life where she calls the shots..AND SHE SHOULD.

2. Not Me says:

Why didn’t they ask Greg Grunberg to lose weight. That guy was the new Porkins and had no business being in an X Wing

3. Jacques Strappe says:

Movies and television are visual mediums. The characters portrayed require a particular look as dictated by the writers and director which applies to both women and men. I’m sure if Harrison Ford were 30+ lbs overweight, he would have faced the same pressure. These are iconic movie characters and if these Star Wars alumni had deteriorated significantly in appearance, it would be distracting for fans and no doubt generate a lot of unwanted and negative social media comments, etc. I get where Carrie is coming from on this and the double standard held in Hollywood for new roles being mostly awarded to younger and beautiful women but The Force Awakens is part of an original movie franchise and not a new franchise. I’m happy that she, Harrison and Mark were all invited back after 30 years. No one was forced into reappearing in The Force Awakens and I’m sure they have been compensated decently for their appearances. The baton is now being handed over to the newer stars for future Star Wars iterations.

4. JJ Deal says:

I heard Jabba had to lose 375 lbs and lay off the twinkies.

5. Tom Tte says:

I don’t understand these statements. Is she really complaining? I was against these three (at least two of the three originals) being cast in the films because we’ve seen from real life photos that they were definitely not in shape to portray Jedi. To be cast as the equivalent of religious ninja warriors, you have to be able to portray the fitness and lifestyle. You don’t cast John Candy to be a Jedi in a film. That’s a no brainer, right? Of course. I grimaced when I heard that the three actors were being pursued for these roles, and it stands to all reason that if they want the role to portray a fit ninja warrior… you can’t be 40+ pounds overweight. Get a clue!

6. Alluh Akbar says:

The real question is, “Why is this news?” and “who really cares?”

7. Shelly B says:

All the computer editing now in movies, they should just edit her figure to look thinner if that is what they are wanting!

8. Ken says:

Ask her if she would like to lose 35 lbs. Bet she says yes. Ask her if she could snap her fingers and lose 50 lbs, bet she says yes. Everyone over 50 would like to lose the weight they’ve gained, unless they’ve already lost it. Quit whining Carrie, you know you need to lose the weight, just do it.

9. alex says:

She is supposed to be a princess, maybe a queen. Fat royalty are suggesting too much that the 1% taking advantage of the poorest.

For fuck sake they were starving on tatooine.

How she cannot get that as an actress ?

10. finngodo says:

Mark Hamil also lost weight for his return to the role of Luke Skywalker. As someone else pointed out, Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth have to workout hours daily for their roles in Marvel films. The pressure is pretty equal on both sides of the sexes to have certain looks for certain roles especially in tentpole films.

11. Conner says:

this has all been reported months ago. and they didn’t “pressure” her to lose weight – it was part of her contract. she was required to do it. no one wants to see Leia fat.

12. Michael Malak says:

Is this the same Carrie Fisher who admitted to sleeping with George Lucas to get her part as Leia in the original Star Wars?

13. stevenkovacs says:

Did she know she was using her outside voice?

14. sanman$ says:

In 1975 in January or February I was living in an apartment complex behind the Gruming Chinese Theater & Debbie Reynolds would bring Carrie Fisher to see a voice coach.

15. Wes says:

“We treat beauty like an accomplishment.” This ethos does more damage than Daesh.

16. Miranda Smith says:

I’m more interested in how she lost it! Hmmmmmm

17. JasonB says:

Thank goodness she wasn’t asked to lose her wit.

18. me says:

Can’t picture JJ asking something like that but of course it’s possible.

19. J Torsett says:

An actress’ job is to portray a character on the screen. If they don’t want their character to be fat, you’d be expected to not be fat to portray that character. Quit acting like a victim, Carrie.

• Steve says:

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had the discussion about why I generally prefer British movies and TV over American productions: We have some fine actors in the States but Hollywood definitely seems to favor looks above acting ability. If a Hollywood actor does not have supermodel looks he/she is labelled a “character actor” and rarely gets a starring role, despite their often being far better at their craft than the ‘stars’. I like to see my dramas populated with believable characters, not supermodels pretending to be ‘normal’ people.
      Having said that, I believe the studio was perfectly justified in writing the weight-loss clause into the contracts for Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill. The characters they were cast to portray would almost certainly have remained in pretty good shape given the lifestyles that their imaginary backstories implied.
      Of course they could have been ‘digitally enhanced’ into any shape the producers wanted (and who knows … maybe the last few pounds were ‘digitally dropped’) but a complete virtual reshaping would have probably generated more furore and disdain than their agreement to lose real weight for the parts.

• Pamela says:

The difference is they would never say that to Harrison or Mark. Men are allowed to be chubby in films, but if women are, they can never be the leading lady, only the funny friend. Which is ridiculous because women come in all shapes & sizes. What’s more, Leia is a lot older in this edition & most people naturally put on weight with age, so it would make sense for her character. And I would argue that 35 lbs overweight isn’t really “fat.” If she’d put on 100, they’d have a good reason to worry.

• cacarr says:

Men have to lose fat or gain muscle all the time for big roles.

Hemsworth, Downey Jr, etc.

• Conner says:

actually they did. Both Carrie and Mark had weight loss clauses in their contracts.

• William Daniels says:

Uhh False. Mark Hamill was asked to lose weight too. He’s already commented on having to hit the gym. Daisy Ridley was asked to put on weight/muscle, she’s also commented pubicly about it.

20. Tee F says:

Want the part? Then lose the wait, very simple.

• Shizuru Nakatsu says:

Yeah, because obviously if she’s a few pounds overweight, she’s not as fit to play Leia as whoever they’d replace her with. Obviously the fans would be happier with some other woman who doesn’t look or sound like Leia, but hey, at least she’s a little thinner.

They wouldn’t just give the role of Leia to somebody other than Carrie Fisher, would they? Obviously it’s a given that she’d be going back to play the character… So why should she have to lose weight just because they decided to make a new Star Wars movie? What if she was happy with herself the way she was? Unless there’s a serious in-universe reason that the character HAS to be thin, then they could ask her to try, in a nice way of course, but with good reason and no pressure.

• Conner says:

“good reason and no pressure”?? You DO realize that moviemaking is a business, right? This isn’t a friendly, touchy-feely enterprise, it’s a business deal. They wanted Leia, and they didn’t want her fat. If Carrie didn’t want to meet the job requirements, she could have declined, and they would have written Leia out of it. She made a choice.

• Mike says:

They needed her more than she needed them.

• ps says:

Are you sure about that?? She did loose the wait, even though she didn’t wanted to, so she needed this too.