Sony’s Emoji Movie Will Arrive in Summer 2017

Sony Sets Emoji Animated Movie for

Sony Pictures Animation has set an Aug. 11, 2017, release date for “The Emoji Movie,” making it the first title to land on the date.

Sony won rights in July to the project, based on a pitch by Eric Siegel and Anthony Leondis about the round-headed figures that have become ubiquitous in social media. The duo are co-writing the script with Leondis directing. The logline is under wraps.

Michelle Raimo Kouyate is producing. She stepped down in July after five years as production president of Sony Pictures Animation and signed a first-look deal.

Leondis directed the short “Kung Fu Panda: Secrets of the Masters” and the DreamWorks Animation feature “B.O.O.: Bureau Of Otherworldly Operations.” Siegel was a producer on the TBS series “Men At Work” and a consulting producer on ABC’s “Family Tools.”

Leondis is repped by WME. Siegel is repped by APA and New Wave.

1. tony frank says:

i would like to have Michelle Raimo to get back to me for my idea /emoji idea

2. me says:

oh god
    what
    is this really a thing
    please kill me

3. Kapie says:

I just want to kill myself now.

4. The I not know dude says:

Leaked plot: The emojis will pop out of the smart phone and try to end the world as we know it!

5. Me says:

This is going to be a greaaaaat movie… wow…

6. Cari Yuvan says:

Why would someone even do this? What kind of fever dream were these people in when they decided to let it happen? Is nothing safe? Is nothing sacred? Not everything that’s popular needs to be a movie. Stop inventing stupid reasons to make movies about inanimate objects. People communicate with emojis; no one needs a horrible film where they get personalities and run off on some wacky adventure.

• Andrew says:

Uh…it’ll be a great movie I can’t wait :)

• SelfieQueen says:

Ummmm……I LOVE emojis and I think it will be awesome. If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all. People have different likes you don’t need to express them on the Internet

• Ugh says:

“People aren’t allowed to express their opinion on the internet so I’m going to do just that!!1!1!!1” is all I got from you

• The fact that your name is SelfieQueen immediately invalidates your opinion. How could anyone possibly think that this is a good idea for a movie? You’re just trolling right? I refuse to believe this comment is actually a real person’s thoughts. It’s too depressing.

• Daddy says:

Free Speech, bitch

• Alex says:

My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, ‘If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.’. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- ‘Don’t ever smoke. Please don’t put your family through what your Grandfather put us through.” I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because your post gave me cancer anyway.

7. Jojo says:

Soon after they’ll start suing anyone referencing to or using them, and that will be the end of emoji.

8. Maggie says:

Sounds Fabulous! Way to go Raimo!

9. Jacques Strappe says:

This sounds like a wretched movie trying too hard to be topical. What’s next SONY? The Candy Crush Movie?

10. James says:

Can i just leave this planet?