Mark Wahlberg’s ‘Six Billion Dollar Man’ Gets 2017 Release Date

Mark Wahlberg Partners
Erik Pendzich/REX

Dimension Films has dated “The Six Billion Dollar Man” starring Mark Wahlberg for Dec 22, 2017.

“Wild Tales” helmer Damián Szifron wrote the screenplay and is going to direct.

Production is set to start September 2016. Wahlberg, Stephen Levinson and Bob Weinstein are producing the film.

“The Six Million Dollar Man” is based on the classic television series from the 1970s and the novel “Cyborg” by Martin Caidin. The story follows military officer Steve Austin, who becomes part of a top secret government program after a horrific accident leaves him near death. With the help of cutting edge technology, Steve is brought back to life with extraordinary abilities, making him the world’s first truly bionic man.

“I’m thrilled to assemble ‘The Six Billion Dollar Man’ for the big screen with the likes of Bob Weinstein and Damián Szifron,” said Wahlberg. “We look forward to creating a Steve Austin for the 21st century.”

Overseeing production for TWC-Dimension are Matthew Signer, EVP of Production and Creative Affairs, and Keith Levine, SVP of Production and Development.

“Writing the screenplay was such a fantastic ride and embarking on this journey with Mark, Bob and Stephen to take this story to a whole new level is simply spectacular,” said Szifron. “Growing up, these kind of films left an indelible mark on me and now it feels so good to be making one.”

1. Mark Wood says:

Ummm wasn’t it Six MILLION dollar man?? Hmmm They take it and make a Billion dollars seem like pocket change…
    Typical Hollywood making a mess of something that was done just fine before :-P

2. Art Abraham says:

Not to hate but Mark Wahlberg is just 5’4 – Lee Majors is 6’2. Talk about honey I shrunk the Six Million Dollar Man. And Six Billion? Talk about a lot less for a lot more! Geez!

3. charlesamiller says:

I just wish SOMEBODY would do the original story by Martin Caidin, rather than recycling that 1970s ABC television trash. Ideally, they should explore the science of bionics, explain the extensive skeletal reconstruction necessary to make Steve Austin superhuman, and focus on how it all sent Austin spiraling into suicidal depression. The only thing that snapped him out of it was actually using the bionics to save another life…. and, boom, end the first movie right there.

4. Jake says:

They BETTER get Oliver Nelsons ORIGINAL music back in the movie. This MADE the show and not new crap. ALL us fans want the original music. Dont ruin this like all other redone movies!

5. hello i was watching the video ,then it stop and up again at the begin,so idid not get to see the end

6. Todd Massé says:

So what’s next? The Bionic Woman? They did a reboot of that and it flopped only airing a few episodes.Max The Bionic dog never happened but was interesting in show.Way to many Reboots of old shows and ideas Hollywood is just plain getting Lazy and has lost their Creativity.Time for some New Blood to get in there and take over and be Creative for the next Generation

• ellisz says:

It actually didn’t “flop” per se. it was done in by the Writer’s Guild strike.

• speediejoe says:

The idea that reboots, prequels, sequels, etc., show “laziness” is silly. It shows opportunism. Using known properties is a known way to get people to come to movies. Like it or not, that is the truth. Lots of new movies not based on existing property come out every week. And many of them are good but don’t do well due to not being known properties. Thus it is the market that is making Hollywood continue to go back to known properties.

7. Steve says:

This is going to be a shoe in for a Razzie award.

8. Steve says:

This is going strait to Video.

9. randy johnson says:

I hope he gets a Bionic Woman…Jaime Sommers anyone??

10. yukonshine says:

Is Lee Majors involved in any way?

11. I am curious as to what top secret government programs they are going to reveal. Those who criticize Wahlberg as the choice for the bionic man are ignoring the fact that his extra bionic powers will overcome any possible deficiencies, either real or imagined. The original actor in the TV series was very wooden and dispassionate. Who cannot act that way? It ain’t Shakespeare.

12. Wolfman says:

I was prepared for announcement of “‘The Six Billion Dollar Man’ with an all-female cast.” I thought males had become outdated :).

13. Snerdguy says:

That’s inflation alright. Six Billion dollars and still we get a compact.

14. The book is kinda bad. Very cliche’. The TV series was something i loved and now have on DVD. So, I can’t wait for a modern take on it. I hope Hollywood gets it right.

• Rolf Hawkins says:

Did you ever see the original made-for-TV movies before it was turned into a TV series? The theme song and scripts were beyond horrific! Ah, 70’s TV was so entertaining and disturbing at the same time: Hollyweird was even weirder then than it is today.

15. Art Vandalay says:

Terrible casting choice. Just terrible. Great movie fodder but dead end casting choice.

16. you never know? Who would have picked Robert Downey Jr for Iron Man, Now you can’t see anyone but him as the character.. I would like to see what Mark brings to the table..

17. Dunstan says:

Austin, I don’t think it will be an intentional comedy but I agree this may be a huge mistake. The list of series to film remakes is filled with disasters of this kind. The first bad idea is attempting to update it by using “billion” instead of “million.” I’ve liked Wahlberg in some of his roles but after “The Gambler” disaster, I’m not real confident this is a movie that should be made.

18. BillUSA says:

I’ll never forget the night I watched the debut episode of “The Six Million Dollar Man” back in the 70’s. I thought it was the coolest thing to come along since “Ultraman”. My younger brother and I ran outside pretending to be able to do what Steve Austin could do.

19. Austin Ray says:

I hate to be the cynic but I am fearing this will be comedy since they are cheaper to make. If not, it will be total reworking of the story only for the worse. Mark Wahlberg is not necessarily the guy I would care to lead any good material. Scorcese did him a favor in The Departed: play yourself and play third fiddle.