Sigourney Weaver Promises Neill Blomkamp’s ‘Alien’ Film Will ‘Break New Ground’

Sigourney Weaver Salem Chappie
Stuart C. Wilson/Getty Images

Sigourney Weaver promises that the “Alien” franchise is in good hands with “District 9” director Neill Blomkamp, and she’s looking forward to returning to her signature role of Ellen Ripley in a new installment in the science-fiction series.

“I can’t think of a better director,” Weaver told Variety at the New York City premiere of Blomkamp’s latest film, “Chappie.” “He’s a real fan. I think he’ll be true to the world and take it in unexpected directions. It’s got a lot of sinew in it. It will certainly stand up to the others and probably break a lot of new ground as well.”

Weaver appears as a ruthless weapons manufacturer in “Chappie,” a film about a police droid who is able to think and feel. She said Blomkamp expressed his admiration for the first two films in her iconic sci-fi series, Ridley Scott’s “Alien” and James Cameron’s “Aliens,” while they were shooting.

“Suddenly it seemed so obvious that this would happen,” said Weaver. “We’ve been in touch the last year, and he’s shared wonderful artwork.”

Blomkamp is one of the leading science-fiction directors working today, whose brutal visions of the future also include the film “Elysium,” so he would seem an obvious choice for the gig. Nevertheless, he said that the world of “Alien” is a departure for him.

“I would love to make something in that world because the films use terror and dread and filmmaking techniques that are different than what I’ve dabbled in before,” he said.

In the past, Blomkamp has used the science-fiction genre to explore social issues, such as health care and income inequality, that vex modern society. “Chappie” and its examination of artificial intelligence is no different, star Hugh Jackman argues.

“In this movie he’s asking, ‘what is the soul?'” Jackman said. “‘What is the spirit? What is consciousness? Is it something definable by science or is part of something more mystical and magical?'”

One of Blomkamp’s defining traits as a director is how he grounds his fantastical stories in realism, says Weaver.

“It is set in the future, but it’s almost like an alternate present,” the actress said. “It’s not happening in a far away world or an unrecognizable planet. I love how he uses this genre not for fantasy, but for human stories, even with robots.”

Some people are alarmed by the ubiquity of computers and digital devices in modern society, but Jackman is no luddite.

“Bring it on,” he said. “For me I’m looking forward to driverless cars.”

1. Sanman1 says:

When Sigourney Weaver is at Equinox & she’s running on the treadmill, I was told by the manager that no one is allowed to run on the treadmill next to her! Or as Greta Garbo used to say, I want to be alone!

2. Sanman1 says:

The only way a new Alien reboot would work is if I was also in the movie. I know a lot about aliens because I live on E. 51st street, the other Area 51.

• Sanman1 says:

There are Aliens visiting & living In my neighborhood especially with the UN just a few blocks away from where I live on E. 51st street, the other Area 51……..an Alien movie could be made right here because Sigourney Weaver lives right next store on 59th street in a building with ghosts…..

3. Dax says:

” Neill Blomkamp !” Its gonna be a TURD
    a double retarded retard could make better movies than this guy
    WTF !

4. AliensEarhboundResEvilCODGhostbusterNinjaTurtlesGameofThronesWalkingDead says:

I didn’t know about this but I will check it out as they messed up the series after 2 and District 9 rocked and Elysium was worth more than a viewing or two. Rock on with quality flix.

5. Walter G. Nalley says:

Reblogged this on SOCONNEX.

6. Dean says:

Funny how these actors desperately want these characters killed off when their careers are in good shape. But when it’s not all so rosey they suddenly start saying things like how wonderful & original it all is. Ring any bells…. You know, another little sci fi thing getting a reboot. I kind of remember Harrison Ford wanting Han Solo killed off & hating that character. It’s all very sad to see these desperate old actors trying to restart their flagging careers. Just leave it alone because the results normally are depressing & do damage to the original creations.

7. Paul Brno says:

Jennifer Lawrence as the new Ellen Ripley. Yes !

8. Paul Brno says:

Sigourney Weaver fighting aliens ? Maybe in a video game.

9. Paul Brno says:

There are no ‘Aliens’ running around my neighborhood because Sigourney Weaver / Ellen Ripley also lives there.

10. The one blight on Avatar was the silly body stocking covered with Pre Raphaelite vines to conceal Sigourney’s modesty. What was all that about, Ghostbusters was a long time ago; she could have run her death scene in a full space suite? I hope we don’t get any more distracting nonsense like this from an otherwise worthy actress.

11. Paul Brno says:

Sigourney lives in my neighborhood & we run into her every now & then.

12. stevenmillan says:

Great to know that we might be having a spectacular ALIEN sequel on our hands,something that the HALLOWEEN series sorely needs to lift that series up again(instead of the downfall it’s had since 1989).

13. Nostromo says:

Well, I hope Ms. Weaver is right about this new one, I really do (because the outrageous, mean-spirited nihilism of ALIEN 3 nearly killed the franchise; and the less said of ALIEN RESURRECTION’s preposterous contrivances, the better). Blomkamp’s ELYSIUM failed to deliver, and the response to CHAPPIE has, thus far, been rather underwhelming. “Ripley” is one of my all-time favourite characters; one of enduring appeal; she deserves the best possible treatment. I wish Ms. Weaver the best with this new installment. As for the film itself, I’m not holding my breath. Hope I’m wrong about this, though.

• Duder NME says:

I liked A L I E N 3’s nihilism. It served as a great framework for depicting the galaxy’s worst as still humane people, however sparse.

14. Mary says:

The way things have gone for me, I’m sure I’d get to be the Alien! And I will act like one if a CNA comes in at 4:30AM and turns on the ceiling light to get me up for breakfast, that’s not till 8:00/8:30AM.And then possibly have the audacity to put a bra on me, out come them teeth with K-Y Jelly dripping from them.
    Fact: K-Y Jelly is what was used. They went through a lot of it too.

15. Mary says:

I’ve been hoping for another Alien movie. I am a fan. Alien was the absolute best! The chestburster scene, nothing comes close to it. Thanks to H.R. Giger we got to see something we’ve never seen before. Close Encounters, Star Wars, ect… They were stupid to me, (JMO) I never watched any of those kinds of movies, just seen bits and pieces. I know Alien movies are considered sci-fi, but to me they are horror films. You won’t see Ripley with a big donut on her head or people in costumes trying to act scary. I want to be scared, anxious, tense and Ripley is a bad a$$ woman. Nobody out there like her. I’ll probably be in a nursing home by the time the 5th comes out. You can bet the farm I’ll have someone take me to the theater to see it. Then get it on blu-ray and watch it a gomillion times like the 4 before it!

16. Sanman1 says:

The whole movie takes place in a nursing home.

17. Paul Brno says:

And maybe another life style lift.