Rick Ducommun, ‘The ‘Burbs’ and ‘Groundhog Day’ Actor, Dies at 62

Rick Ducommun Dead
Courtesy of Universal

Rick Ducommun, a Canadian actor who appeared in many popular comedies in the ’80s and ’90s, has died. He was 62.

Joe Dante, who directed Ducommun in “The ‘Burbs” and also helmed such works as “Gremlins” and “Small Soldiers,” broke the news on Twitter late on Wednesday.

Ducommun’s Twitter also posted the news.

In “The ‘Burbs” (1989), one of the actor’s most notable appearances, Ducommun played Tom Hanks’ noisy, paranoid neighbor. The comedian also had small roles in “Groundhog Day,” “Little Monsters,” “Die Hard,” “The Hunt for Red October,” “The Last Boy Scout,” “Last Action Hero” and “Scary Movie,” in which he played Anna Faris’ character’s father.

Dante posted several tweets honoring the late actor, noting that Ducommun, a relatively unknown standup comic at the time, beat out Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis to take the memorable role in “The ‘Burbs,” and “knocked it out of the park.”

“Lots of the funniest stuff he says was totally ad-libbed,” Dante went on.

In television, Ducommun guest starred on “The Wayans Bros.” sitcom on the WB before also working with the Wayans on 2000’s “Scary Movie,” which was written by Shawn and Marlon Wayans and directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans.

Ducommon also starred in the short-lived 1986 NBC comedy “The Last Precinct” and appeared in “Moonlighting,” “Max Headroom,” “NYPD Blue” and “Murphy Brown.” HBO featured him in standup specials in 1989 and 1992.

1. Mary says:

You made my life better ! Our family love the burbs ! We never watched where we didn’t laugh ! I thought you were an amazing actor ! You had the ability, to make all think you were there own neighbor for many years! You will be missed ! I pray that God has you in heaven!

2. Michael Moorhouse says:

Totally sad news! I have known Rick and PD since the days of Skateboard Palace in Burnaby. Legend of comedy and skateboarding. I was blessed to see and talk to Rick on many occasions in New Westminster last year before I moved to Saudi Arabia and he made me laugh each time. My young son was thrilled to meet the founder of Skull Skates as he knows well the logo as I have worn it proudly for years. Very saddened. My deepest condolences to PD and the rest of his family. Michael Moorhouse

3. RIP Rick. I lost my Dad recently unexpectedly. I miss him a lot. I’m trying to help my Mom raise money. If anyone who reads this and wishes to help please visit our website

4. BWDH says:

Rick was never a household name but those of us who know movies know Rick’s work very well. He was was a great performer and a great guy to work with. I’ll miss him very much. I’m sorry his family is going through this. Miss you, pal.

5. JENNIFER says:

Rick was GREAT in everything he was in. Everything. We will miss him. Thank you for making us laugh, Rick. You were GREAT.

6. Rick Ducommun was born July 3, 1956, 58 years old, passed away June 12, 2015, from Diabetic Ketoacidosis. He was from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada and died in Vancouver, BC Canada.

• Aspen1969 says:

Date of death and cause of death are correct. Not birth year. You are also correct about his birth place! :) Same place my mother (his Aunty ) was born and raised. Fabulous place. RIP, sweet cousin.

7. John F. Mollard says:

Get his age right. Do your damn research. He was 58, not 62 or 55 like some articles I’ve seen today.

• Aspen1969 says:

This is frustrating to his family as well. Not to mention some places are getting the day that he passed away incorrect.

8. Michael says:

He was a funny and talented actor. R.I.P Rick.

9. Lamont Palmer says:

Rick got his start on the old ‘Star Search’, hosted by Ed McMahon. He didn’t win, but the exposure made him famous. He was quick and funny; a consummate standup.

• Aspen1969 says:

He got his start in Canada with Alan Thicke. He used to send postcards to all of us family members, making us aware of which TV show he’d be on etc etc. He finally had to stop sending them, he couldn’t keep up, especially once he got more well known.

• Mike says:

He was the type actor that got your attention even though he wasnt a household name ,, I remember him from DIEHARD as the character trying to con the terrorists ,, the whole time im thinking , you better shut up ,,, he made you believe his characters so he did his job ,, sorry for your loss

10. Bo says:

Someone is miss counting. If he was born on July 3 1959 he is only 55. Not 62. Trust me that is the year I was born. So either his bio is wrong or your statement of age is wrong. Still too young to die.

• Aspen1969 says:

His birth date is wrong. He was not born in 1959. I’ll ask my mum if she remembers his birth year, he was one of her favourite nephews. I’ve got a photo of us when I’m about 2 (I’m 45 now) and there is no way he’s only 10 years older than me!!!! He’s at least in his early 20’s in that particular photo. He filmed “The ‘Burbs” when I was still in high school. He was in his 60’s, at least. Yes, still too young, for sure:( Ok, another cousin just texted me that his birth year was 1952.

• Aspen1969 says:

11. i have the movie”The Burbs”..”scary movie”..”Little Monsters”..”Last Action Hero”..ric will always be remembered for being funny!62 is a young age to die..R.I.P. Ric

• Dee says:

This is a hoax. This guy died years ago from suicide.

• Aspen1969 says:

No hoax. No suicide. The very idea is offensive. The dates and age are incorrect, but my cousin did in fact pass away last week. From a lengthy illness.