Quentin Tarantino Says Police Trying to ‘Intimidate’ Him With Calls for Boycott

Quentin Tarantino Video Tapes Streaming
Bisgrove/REX Shutterstock

Police unions around America have been demanding an apology from Quentin Tarantino, but the director is not backing down in his first public remarks following his controversial comments 10 days ago about police violence.

“All cops are not murderers,” Tarantino, the director of “The Hateful Eight,” told the Los Angeles Times in an interview Tuesday. “I never said that. I never even implied that.” Tarantino said the police groups were trying to “demonize” him.

“What they’re doing is pretty obvious,” he said. “Instead of dealing with the incidents of police brutality that those people were bringing up, instead of examining the problem of police brutality in this country, better they single me out. And their message is very clear. It’s to shut me down. It’s to discredit me. It is to intimidate me. It is to shut my mouth, and even more important than that, it is to send a message out to any other prominent person that might feel the need to join that side of the argument.”

The furor stems from a rally against police brutality on Saturday, Oct. 24 in Manhattan. The director of “Django Unchained” and “Pulp Fiction” addressed a crowd of about 300, saying: “When I see murders, I do not stand by…” and adding: “I have to call a murder a murder and I have to call the murderers the murderers.”

Police organizations around the country, including in Los Angeles and New York, have demanded an apology and called for a boycott of “The Hateful Eight,” the bounty hunter survival tale with a cast that includes Channing Tatum, Kurt Russell and Samuel L. Jackson. While unions and other groups representing more than 200,000 officers have joined the protests, Tarantino has received some support. Actor Jamie Foxx, speaking at a recent awards show, urged the director: “Keep telling the truth and don’t worry about none of the haters.”

The Weinstein Co., which had also remained silent since the controversy erupted, released a statement saying that it “has a tremendous amount of respect for him as a filmmaker,” and saying it would allow Tarantino to “speak for himself.”

More to come….

1. Chris says:

LOL……Police are going to boycott his movie, what an oxymoron. Everyone knows that cops are the cheapest and most criminalistics beings out there. They will always use their badge for free movies or steal DVD’s from busts they do on ‘civilian criminals’ who copy DVD’s and sell them on the black market. I’ve seen this first hand!
    And yes, a majority are murderers!!! Just because they didn’t ALL pull the trigger, they’re aware of the crime but decide to do nothing about it. Accomplice after the fact as they say…..blue wall of silence, all covered up!!

2. A Free Speaking American says:

Why don’t you just apologize QT? Clarify that you meant specific acts of police brutality, in your opinion, are equal to murder. The broad-sweeping language used is the problem (much like when Vietnam Veterans came home, were spit upon and called “baby killers,” when the media/public over-generalized isolated incidents). You may not have said the specific words, “all cops are murderers,” but it was perceived that way. You could say, “I’m sorry if my words were percieved this way. Please know that it wasn’t what was meant.”

Also I think an apology shouldn’t be “beneath,” you. There are several cops who, even in your eyes, should not qualify as “murderers,” and who risk their lives and bust their butts daily to keep your right to badmouth them, protected. Don’t those hard-working, brave civil servants deserve your gratitude and moreover, your gracious humility?

Your ego about the whole thing is what really irks my fiance and I (he’s a Veteran – Army Sniper). We won’t be seeing any of your films, or supporting your career with any of our dollars until you do apologize.

3. Drew says:

“Who the Hell wants to hear actors talk” H. M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

Tarentino is the lastest uneducated Hollywood elitiest to show his ignorance, predjudice and hatred of things beyond his intellectual capacity. With apologies to Groucho Marx, If Quentin T. “had another brain, he might make a half wit”.

4. felix says:

Who gives a damn. Americans and their crazy politics… And people acting crazy when accused of being crazy. The oldest (and basically most uninteresting) story in the world.

5. ‘I’m sorry to hear that Jamie Foxx said “Keep telling the truth and don’t worry about none of the haters.” That’s such an irresponsible comment. Those Police officers aren’t “haters”, they are being called murderers.’

Beginning to hate coming onto the board reading insane statements, from people who cannot follow the American LANGUAGE. Neither Mr. Tarantino or Mr. Foxx called police murders. .Tarantino called officers killing citizens murders. And, oh heaven forbid, I agree.So, either you agree with officers killing citizens or you cannot understand a simply statement.

This is a film site, not a political tirade site. People’s views show here all too often. There appears to be an attempt to silent individuals standing up for justice in this country. Or, are you now siding with North Korea? Say nothing against the state? You agree with killing citizens and saying nothing? Martin Luther King (perhaps in your eyes) must have been an American hater. He disagreed with state policy. And now, I surely must be a LIBERAL…oh, no, heaven forbid…burn me at the stake…

• Mary says:

Well if this “Film Site” would not write about “Political tirade site” stuff ( as you call it) then I or anyone else wouldn’t comment. And I don’t care if you are a “liberal” more power to you, who’s to say I’m not? I just don’t agree with Mr. Foxx’s statement and I posted my “opinion” like everyone else. Back off “sheep”, and yes they did call Police officers murders, read the other articles. I can’t keep up with all the articles on this ridiculous cause. Oh and ya, I’m siding with North Korea based on my comment and oh ya “Perhaps in my eyes” I think Martin Luther King is a hater. What’s wrong with you? Why would you attack me like that? See you are part of the problem, you assume everyone has to pick a side. Celebrity’s get the mic & they can say whatever they want and the media prints and posts it and everyone thinks they know everything. sigh, You are right, I should get off these sights I don’t learn anything from them except that people are horrible.

6. Mary says:

I’m sorry to hear that Jamie Foxx said “Keep telling the truth and don’t worry about none of the haters.” That’s such an irresponsible comment. Those Police officers aren’t “haters”, they are being called murderers. How would you feel? By calling the Police “murderers” is generalizing and profiling. Isn’t that what Hollywood is always preaching to the “regular folk” not to our use, or do, don’t judge. It’s preached to us regularly to embrace all races, religions, sexual orientation, so why would you generalize Police and call them murders? It is not to say a Police officer can’t murder someone but this whole protect is not being “protested” correctly. Why doesn’t Mr. Tarintino be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. Why doesn’t he help all the red tape and bureaucracy in the Police Departments. The systems is old and broken. Help them fix it don’t just chastise them. Be better.

7. rtf402 says:

This is so stupid. I’m going to see Hateful Eight an additional time for each news story I see about this.

8. jack robbin says:

..(D)..~Read More —- My classmate’s step-mother makes $63 an hour on the computer . She has been without a job for six months but last month her pay was $17381 just working on the computer for a few hours. site link . ►œ►œ►►►œ►œ► Go.TO.This Page Ok.

9. i have enjoyed all of his movies,n expect to watch anything he puts out.i was n am delighted for him to come out n make a public denouncement of the present injustice.this makes me even more of a fan.i am sorry that the police unions do not lionize him as in singling out those police who betrayed their trust to protect n to serve,he was defusing violence.the unions,in effect,are saying,no,it’s not just a few of us who are renegade,it is all of us.i’m sorry about that n any consequences that might bring.i do know that a new page in this struggle has been turned n i’m sure more reorganization will be paid to it.i anticipate that Tarantino will find a new movie to make out of it..

10. todd says:

This is an issue of police abuse and the lack of accountability for their actions as individuals, not “cop hating” Nice attempt to not see the elephant in the room.

• Mary says:

But that’s not true. Police are held accountable for their actions. Most of the time their actions are warranted. You just don’t like the answer based on the sad thing that happened. It’s sad. But Just because a grieving family doesn’t like the way their criminal son was dealt with, so they go on national TV and blame someone else and call it “police brutality”. and “racism”. That’s not responsible, that’s being ignorant. And that’s your elephant.

11. Charlie Bass says:

Why didn’t he march when the 9 year old black child died in her grandmothers arms after being hit by a stray bullet. His movies glorify wild shoot outs and violent chaos. But when the epidemic of black on black crime comes up the world goes silent – one must wonder what these people really want – do they want an end to black violence or just to protest and be angry at the establishment.

I did not need a police officer to tell me to boycott this looser – we came to the conclusion all on our own. He and all of Hollywood are slowly alienating the world around them. People are sick of the ignorance they display in their movies and in their personal lives. he and Harvey deserve each other and it is rich for Harvey to speak on this and or gun control when promoting movies like these.

I wonder how he would feel if he was the cop about to have his gun taken from him and possibly used against him. There are no re-writes or retakes on the streets you live or die by a split second decision – people make mistakes – some people are racist – that does not mean you vilify the majority who are working hard to keep this nation safe.

12. Asuka says:

You’d think Harvey would come to the NYPD’s defense, seeing as they let his little spring “indiscretion” slide.

13. John Freimann says:

Poor Tarantino!!! Boo Hoo!! Just because one has talent doesn’t always mean that you’re smart. He should probably just keep directing good films and keep his mouth shut.

14. Keef Grimes says:

Cops are only people, just men and women. We give specific people uniforms and extended rights, and are told to worship them because we need them to keep us safe. A uniform doesn’t make someone courageous, or strong, nor will it make a man honest. To believe that is insanity. Think about the risks of having PEOPLE with the right to kill at will….. And their profession of law enforcement. Didn’t even make the top 15 most dangerous jobs in america. So even if they were all worthy of the honor and recognition they receive, there is literally no reason for it.

15. Craig Kneeland says:

Thank you Quentin Tarantino! Your statement was flawless, stay the course.

16. Michael says:

Poor, poor baby…. the evil cops are trying to intimidate poor wittle QT. How pathetic an you get.

17. Tarantino is a moron. I know that I will not be spending my money on his next movie, and I’ve been a fan since Reservoir Dogs.

18. Sean kenedy says:

In my humble opinion, which includes my support for all the men and women of our Police departments. My understanding of what Tarantino said, which is clear; is that he’s speaking about those individual Police officers who have committed fatal crimes under the color of authority for their own hateful reasons. He’s not saying that ALL policeman are guilty of those crimes! Query, in the unforgivable My Lai Massacre in Vietnam committed by twenty six American soldiers who were found guilty and convicted of killing 22 villagers by the American Courts; does that mean that every decent American soldiers who wore the uniform in Vietnam were also guilty of those unconscionable crimes? Undoubtedly NOT!! Tarantino is not saying that we should not respect or honor all those brave men and women who wear the police uniform rather that those who use their hate under the color in such a manner which unlawful acts were done while the officials were purporting or pretending to act in the performance of their official duties. In other words, the unlawful acts must consist of an abuse or misuse of power which is possessed by the official only because he is an official.

19. Bill says:

I certainly hope that should Tarentino ever need the police, they don’t respond; wouldn’t want to be around a bunch of murderers or anything.

20. Greg Marotta says:

FOX and its main cur,Hannity, are leading the charge here. Also out front for FOX is its house “barking dog,” the fraudulent, ignorant, turgid Bo/Beau (which spelling is in use this week?) Dietl and that Uncle Tom sheriff from Milwaukee, which happens to have one of the largest spikes of violent crime of any region in the country. Typical FOX.

• Bill says:

“Uncle Tom” because he dares not toe the liberal party line. Got it, all black men must necessarily hold the same political views or be traitors to their race.

21. Guyron Barnes says:

It appears that the Thin Blue Line has exposed itself for what it really is… #TheThinBlueWhine !

22. adrienne810 says:

He’s is just trying to create publicity for his new movie because it is full of B list actors.

• cadavra says:

Biggest-grossing movie of all time is AVATAR. Please name all the A-list actors in it. For that matter, name anyone in the cast not named Sigourney Weaver.

23. Sherwood says:

Poor Quentin has failed to make peace with the police. I guess he’ll be the subject of a boycott for years to come.