Quentin Tarantino Accuses Disney of ‘Extortion’ Over ‘Star Wars’ Booking

Quentin Tarantino Arclight Star Wars Controversy
REX/Shutterstock

Despite much hype and excitement around “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” opening this Friday, there’s at least one person who isn’t too happy with Disney — Quentin Tarantino. The Oscar-winning director claims Disney is “going out of their way to f— me,” among other choice words he used on the Howard Stern SiriusXM radio show Wednesday.

“It was real bad news and it f—ing pissed me off,” Tarantino told Stern.

The cause of Tarantino’s rage? He says Disney is strong-arming Arclight Cinemas, pushing his 70MM “The Hateful Eight” out of the L.A. theater’s renowned Cinerama Dome for J.J. Abrams’ “The Force Awakens.” Tarantino explains that ArcLight Cinemas told Disney they would play “The Hateful Eight” in the Cinerama Dome starting on Christmas, but Disney threatened to pull “Star Wars” from all locations if the film couldn’t stay in that one theater.

“It’s vindictive, it’s mean and it’s extortion,” Tarantino added.

Tarantino reveres Arclight Cinemas, especially this theater, he said. “The Hateful Eight” premiere was held at the Cinerama Dome on Dec. 7. The Cinerama logo even appears in the opening credits of “The Hateful Eight.”

The director adds he made the Disney corporation quite a bit of money, referencing the days when Disney owned Miramax and released films like his two “Kill Bill” pics, which grossed a combined $333 million worldwide, and “Pulp Fiction,” which brought in $213.9 million at the global box office. Tarantino explained his beef isn’t with Abrams. “I love J.J. [Abrams]. I’m not saying it’s the ‘Star Wars’ people. It’s the Disney people,” Tarantino said.

While Tarantino agrees there are many blockbusters coming out at the same time this holiday season, like “Joy,” “Sisters” and the Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell film, “Daddy’s Home,” he doesn’t think any of them, including his own, are serious competition to “Star Wars.”

Stern ensures Tarantino that Abrams will fix the issue, and notes Disney CEO Bob Iger is a religious listener to his show. “This really isn’t going to impact their bottom line,” Stern said. “They didn’t need to do this to you.”

Stern took a moment to address Iger. “Listen Bob … I don’t give a s— about this theater. Quentin’s a weirdo, sorry Quentin. They’ve got the stupid 70 mm. They got all that s— that he cares about. He just wants to show his goddamn movie there. You’re sitting on top of the world. You’ve got ‘Star Wars.’ What, do you need this?”

Stern adds, “Bobby, be a gracious man. I want Quentin to show this new movie. He’s worked his a– off. He wants the equiptment. Hatefully, would you do it for me? … It’s Christmas for Christ’s sake.”

Arclight Cinemas announced in a statement Tuesday that they upgraded the Cinerama Dome with dual-head Christie 6P laser projectors and Dolby 3D, which can project more than double the light of an average 3D projection system, just in time for “Star Wars.”

Stern recently struck a five-year deal with SiriusXM Satellite Radio for his four-hour daily radio program and a new streaming video component.

Listen to the whole interview here:

1. Jerry says:

Disney should let Taratino direct the next Star Wars so I can see Luke Skywalker drop the N bomb unneccessarily a hundred times

2. alex downey says:

who cares about this clown in fact both these clowns. sad how an untalented vulgar moron can have a 4 second show much less a 4 hour. as for the other jerk you aint nothing compared to the true greats and without them you just would not have a clue how to make a movie.

3. attorneytracey says:

Disliked how Disney made viewers wait to see H8ful 8. Have to admit that I liked Django Unchained better than H8ful 8. I give it a B-.

4. mikaman3000 says:

Saw the movie at a friend’s house on Showbox. Besides a couple of above average performances by SJ and JJL it’s a pretty forgettable movie. Save your money folks and go see The Revenant instead.

5. Buggin Out! says:

So what happened? Did the ArcLight and Disney play ball?

6. Dave the regular guy says:

Big Bank always takes Little Bank in business and Tarantino here is clearly Little Bank. Hateful Eight’s projection and aspect ratio is little more than self-indulgence in a world where all movies are available for the remainder of their existence on demand via digital video (after the obligatory 4-week theatrical run, of course… 6 weeks if you’re lucky.)

7. Chuck Zigman says:

The word “equipment” doesn’t have a “t” in it.

8. Cliff pulliam says:

“Strong-arm”

9. Cliff pulliam says:

Studio strong exhibitors routinely in this industry. it’s a de Facto vertical integration monopoly and it is illegal. This is not unique to Tarantino’s film. Is the reason why it’s almost impossible to get an independent film shown in the multiplex .

10. phil says:

It looks like Iger or Abrams was listening to Howard. On the Dome’s calendar, Hateful Eight is playing Xmas through at least New Year’s.

11. realshane says:

Tarantino is one of the few filmmakers preserving the use of 70mm. For fucks sake, let him use a theater designed for it. It won’t impact Star Wars bottom-line. This was clearly a dick-move on Disney’s part.

12. rocky bridges says:

maybe, just maybe, someone at Disney is sympathetic to the men in blue, the ones that put their lives on the line when it counts. and maybe, just maybe, tarantino will think before launching such a string of ill-conceived comments that paint a negative picture of law enforcement.

13. False Hope says:

Who is this Quentin Tarantino?

14. Todd says:

“It’s vindictive, it’s mean and it’s extortion,” Sounds like the personality profile for Tarantino…shut up!

15. michael says:

Why doesn’t that boso call a cop.

16. tarentino is the clown and I hope Disney breaks it off when they really start plowing!!

17. survivor50 says:

I wasn’t going to go stand in ANY line (OLD ARMY…too many lines), but now that crybaby Tarantula-tino is pi$$ing and whining about his “HATEFUL” movie… I’m on board to support anyone who dumps this idiot!
    More “GUNS and VIOLENCE” Mr. Uber Lib…
    (Yeah… I kinda liked “PUP FRICTION”… )

18. Peter says:

It is time to stop arguing about this territory take-over by Disney. Go get your banned guns, Q. and show these clowns who’s boss!

19. liberalsSUCk says:

who cares what this hollyweird rodeo clown thinks?

20. treeves01 says:

Glad. It couldn’t happen to a bigger ahole cop hater. I think he’s going to find his movies sharply decline in sales after the stupid comments he has made publicly.

• kaplanmike says:

Sigh. He doesn’t HATE cops. He just said that when cops kill someone without cause, they should be held accountable. I know thats shocking, but it’s only common sense.

Cops are not above the law. And getting bad cops off the street should be a priority for good cops. But, of course, that would mean knocking down the blue wall of silence, and we know that’s not going to happen any time soon.

21. kaplanmike says:

Ahh, I love when articles are posted by Drudge. You get the most erudite comments.

22. RRCusack says:

We have been waiting for over 30 years to see what happens to Luke, Leia and Han. No one would wait more than a day for a movie from this dick. He can kiss my fat ass.

• some1 says:

“over 30 years to see what happens to Luke, Leia and Han.” erm… you obviously don’t know about ~60 Star Wars books placed after Episode VI, do you? :P

• travis castillo says:

I hate to break it to you, but those books are irrelevant. Star wars got the Star Trek treatment. None of the books or comics are canon in the new Star Wars universe. I hate it myself, all my knowledge is now worthless.

23. Tossing his film to the curb ? Maybe being dicks. But extortion ? P.S. Is this site running on Hollywood time ? Can I extend my ” cocktail hourrrr ” another 3 hours ?

24. Tex says:

Does this Prima Donna complain a lot or is it just me?

25. Don says:

Screw this anti-cop anti American scumbag.

26. Arty Tearwaffle says:

Hey Quentin, “Hands Up Don’t Shoot” gonna be your next movie? LMBO

27. Oh, because he worked his ass off Howard he should get this. Gimme a break. Bitch to someone who cares Tarantino. It’s not personal, it’s strictly business.

28. Rgrhourgr says:

Maybe he should call the cops to report it, oh wait! Karma.

• Yure Mamm says:

We’ve already had enough innocent people shot at movie theaters no need to call the cops in.

• AJ says:

That comment makes literally no sense. None. What so ever. Even if he hadn’t made those anti-cop comments, what could they even do about it? Seriously. Try a little harder.

29. Bill says:

It seems that Tarantino is constantly bitching and moaning about something or other. Would he be complaining if someone else’ s film was bumped for one of his? I guess its just me- me- me. Also, is it just me or does he look like a neanderthal?

30. queen amedelia! or whatever her name was :D says:

I can only speak for myself, but if I had a movie coming out the same day as Star Wars, I’d honestly ditch my own premiere and go to Star Wars. Or I’d probably show up at the beginning out of respect for the people who believed in me and my movie and actually came to my premier, but the second the lights would go down I’d be sneaking out of there… I mean, IT’S STAR WARS!!! :D :D :D Even if all the tickets were sold out and nobody would let me in and I had to stand outside with all the other peeps dressed like green yodas or whatever, I’d do it and remember it as one of the best days ever :D But once again, that’s just me. I’m an easygoing comedy writer for a reason. If I took myself more seriously, I guess I’d be writing mind-glowingly epic / serious movies that won Oscars… (I mean, c’mon y’all commenting below, Tarantino is an amazing filmmaker!!! Pulp Fiction was a masterpiece!)

31. SteveMcD401 says:

Extortion is a serious offense Tarantonto. Why do you call the police and report it. I am sure that, given your hatred of all cops, they will get right on it, if they ever stop laughing.

32. mike says:

go away Quentin you are annoying and your movies blow chunks!

33. Mikel says:

Apparently it is true – drug abuse does lead to extreme paranoia. This self righteous, self indulgent, ego maniac can’t stand to have happen to him what he has done many times to many of the “little people” he has stepped on while on his path. Not so good to not be the King he thinks he should be. You should have been more careful in how you treated people on your way up little man – you are on the brink of encountering them again on your way down – which many people relish the thought of – especially after the pathetic stereotypical tirades you heaped on all police officers.

Stern sucks up to any big name that will give him an interview, while totally attacking anyone who would prefer to not be quizzed about their anal sex habits. He couldn’t find balls soft enough to lob at Tarantino, conveniently ignoring the shameful cop smearing this pretentious bitch spit out every chance he got. Barely mentioned it, except to treat it as some sort of inconsequential joke. Sad to hear Stern give a hand job to such a miserable little putz. He is much better when he is not in awe.

34. A. Eagle says:

I am going to try to be edgy and unique by stating I do not possess an informed opinion on this matter.

But, I do like Star Wars, and Disney, Stern, and QT features. Alot. Like, alot-alot. It would be nice to think all of these great people will work it out.

Also, Beardo. I saw that on Facebook one time and really got a kick out of it. That’s strong, A-Level game, Dude Who Made Beardo, and I like it. Also alot, but not as much. Still…

35. Mike Morales says:

Tarantino is disqualified. He will ride into the sunset with an asterisk attached to his body of work.

36. Jacques Strappe says:

C’mon, Quent, Star Wars is iconic, a movie “event” which could ultimately benefit the entire movie business. People rarely get this excited about any movie. It’s not like the Hateful Eight was going to break any records and it isn’t a family feature like Star Wars that appeals to kids of all ages. If you had a property as potentially big as Star Wars, you’d be bumping off peeps to get your movie into the record books, too. Why are you releasing your film at the same time as potentially the biggest film in history. Kinda stupid for an award winning director to compete with Star Wars and then throw a hissy fit. Essentially, you are an idiot.

37. Christpher Bowen says:

I would rather see a Quenton Tarantino movie any day than a rehash of an old outer space theme.

38. You mess with the mouse you get the ears.

39. mike ahuja says:

i get where it’s mean and vindictive but extortion…i think qt is stretching it there…but star wars really should just let qt use the damn theater but….in the end its arc light who decides ..its their venue….

40. DarkStarAz says:

It’s Christmas for Christ’s sake!

41. GotoH@yahoo.com says:

This cop hater is lucky anyone is showing his filth…thank god this asshole will quit making films soon so the world won’t be polluted with his slack-jawed dung.

42. Jason Burnstein says:

Stern and Tarantino are overpaid pigs appealing only to morons.

43. jc says:

Never knew the QT was such a cry baby!!? He is calling Disney vindictive? That is a joke, since he is the one that is vindictive and hateful and this interview proved it. This interview destroyed any respect I might have had for this man. While I have always watched his movies, I will not be seeing ”hateful 8″ because QT is a whiny wimp.

44. thez says:

Did the entire LAPD get together to post on this comment thread? Wow. Anyways, I do think this is a shitty move on Disney’s part, but I also don’t think it’s anything personal against Tarantino. It’s a financial move by Disney I’m sure — more screens = more money.

45. Joe E in the IE says:

Cheese, Quentin? Goes great with the gallons of whine you’re pouring.

46. Jimmy Green says:

QT really is delusional and paranoid. How sad no one except cop-hating, violence-loving imbeciles want to see his fucking excrement on the screen.

• Peg says:

Ffs, they DO want to see his movie. That’s what this is about. Disney knows if they show Hateful 8 on the good screen a week after Star Wars premieres that people will see it rather than SW a second time. If no one wanted to see the movie, they wouldn’t threaten to pull SW if they put it up.

47. Grammar Police says:

I see the GED faction of police officers are in full force, here… and virtually every other media thread regarding Tarantino, of course.

Don’t you guys have some civilians to assault, or something? Or is internet trolling the new directive for your misappropriating taxpayer money?

48. malice420dotcom says:

Take the money America gave you and go hide away, far away.
    rvn70/71

49. Lazybum says:

QT…..you suck. Shut up and go away.

50. Kapow! says:

love the variety comments and donald Trump lol! terrible-tino (lol) can go cry his way to the mouse!