Paramount Moves Forward on ‘Transformers,’ ‘G.I. Joe’ and ‘Micronauts’

Paramount Moves Forward on 'Transformers,' 'G.I.

Paramount and Hasbro are moving forward on selecting screenwriters for their “Transformers” and “G.I. Joe” franchises along with launching a Micronauts movie.

The studio and the toymaker have selected Akiva Goldsman to supervise a writers room for the G.I. Joe franchise, which has spawned 2009’s “G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra” and 2009’s “G.I. Joe: Retaliation.” The first film grossed $678 million and the second took in $375 million.

Goldsman will also supervise a writers room and generate ideas based on the Hasbro property Micronauts, a series of interchangeable space toys that originated in Japan during the 1970s.

He will also supervise the fifth “Transformers” installment. Paramount is negotiating with writers room participants Art Marcum and Matt Holloway (“Iron Man”) along with Ken Nolan (“Black Hawk Down”) to write the script.

Paramount launched “Transformers,” based on the toy line, in 2007, followed by “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” in 2009, “Transformers: Dark of the Moon” in 2011 and “Transformers: Age of Extinction” in 2014.

The writers room was launched as a means of generating ideas after “Transformers: Dark of the Moon” grossed $1.12 billion. Participants have included Christina Hodson and Lindsey Beer, Robert Kirkman, Zak Penn, Jeff Pinkner, Steven DeKnight  and Geneva Robertson-Dworet.

Goldsman is regarded as one of industry’s best script rewriters. His writing credits include “A Beautiful Mind,” “Batman Forever,” “I Am Legend” and “The Da Vinci Code.”

The news was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.

1. Conrad S. Hauser says:

” 2009’s “G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra” and 2009’s “G.I. Joe: Retaliation.” The first film grossed $678 million and the second took in $375 million” ? Rise of Cobra grossed 302.5 million worldwide in 2009, and Retaliation, which was released in 2013, grossed 375.7 million. By the way, I’m officially sick by having realized that Battleship made more money worldwide than Rise of Cobra. If not for foreign markets, Battleship would have bombed as it deserved to ($65 million US on a $209 million budget). But then again, those are the same foreign markets that earned Transformers Dark of the Moon 771 million and Transformers Age of Extinction 858 million overseas…

2. derek117 says:

I don’t believe the G.I. Joe franchise has found its “voice”–knowing what audience they want to please, whether the movies should be about “stars” or “action”. And,finding the right actors–known or unknown. All of which has confused the movie-going public, and failed to build a loyal following. Oh, yeah: changing the characters with each movie doesn’t work either. IMO, the first movie had the right actors and director–but needed the script punched up a little. I can’t find anything good to say about the second movie, that clearly pandered to the popularity of Channing Tatum and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

• Conrad S. Hauser says:

I actually thought Jonathan Pryce turned in a great performance as the “Zartan disguised” President in Retaliation. I also thought Ray Stevenson made a great Firefly as well. And, I thought Lee Byung-hun has been a great Storm Shadow in both films. The writers certainly messed with the origin stories of many of the characters in Rise of Cobra (though they did justice to the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow/Zartan/Hard Master storyline), but I actually enjoyed both films. Meanwhile, the Transformer movies which have been making money for Hasbro and Paramount hand over fist, I have found to be completely unwatchable.

3. Thomas A. says:

G.I. Joe: Retaliation came out in 2013, not 2009.

4. Dunstan says:

All three of these mind-numbing movies should be combined into one film.

5. I won't be the Micronauts says:

The problem with a Micronauts movie is that Marvel/Disney own ally rights to everything that made the comic book good. A Micronauts movie wont have any resemblance at all to Marvel Comic written by Bill Mantlo.

6. Ivan says:

That makes no sense – writers?

There is no need for writers. The stories are all the same:
    – good machines connect with good people (some or all are misunderstood by the system) and at least one colourful/funny sidekick
    – bad machines hook up with bad people in some convaluted plan to take over the economy or the world
    – there must be at least 3 chases in various vehicles/places/situations
    – at least one shower/sex scene to show off the body of the hottest actor/actress in the movie
    – at least one ‘I just can’t win’ moment when all seems lost
    – explosions ensue with only a minor character of colour getting killed, thus inspiring the male lead and the completely out of his league girl to find some old wise man/prophecy/weapon to defeat the bad people/machines
    – finally there’s a showdown and woefully outmatch good guy finds some way to defeat the evil mastermind
    – The guy gets the girl, the system comes to understand/appreciate the good machines
    – final shot is a glimpse of the villian (or his protege) for a come back in the inevitable sequel.

7. Larry Martin says:

I didn’t realize that both G.I. Joe movies came out in 2009.

But what do I know? It’s not like I’m a paid editor for an entertainment news website.

8. Dw Dunphy says:

Please, Akiva…don’t allow Micronauts to be screwed up. The mythology Bill Mantlo and Michael Golden built in the 1970s is perfect for the movies. Just try to make THAT happen and your franchise is practically built for you already.

9. Voodoo says:

The first film didn’t make $678m as the article claims, that’s what both films together made.

10. loco73 says:

What is more interesting here is that this article contains such phrases and words as “writer’s room” and “ideas” associated with movie franchises like “Transformers” and “GI Joe”…and that is really funny…

11. Fresh Design says:

“G.I. Joe: Retaliation.” The first film grossed $678 million and the second took in $375 million. that’s awesome!

12. Jay says:

The industry’s leading script rewriter and you give I am Legend and The Da Vinci code as examples… Not placing my confidence in that resume

• Duder NME says:

Charlie Kaufman and Steve Zaillian are rolling in their future graves.

• Unknown says:

Your choices of what doesn’t give you confidence in Goldman with “I Am Legend” (which received fairly good critical reviews & did have successful box-office results) & “The Da Vinci Code” (which received mildly critical reviews mainly for its pacing & length but did find success) are not the worriment marks, its the example of “Batman Forever” which is the title that is truly the taint mark on Goldman’s resume at least in the resume example. They could have mentioned his far worse titles like a “Winter’s Tale”, “Batman & Robin”, “Lost In Space”, & such.

• Phil says:

He also wrote the script for Batman & Robin.