Neil Patrick Harris Doubts He’ll Host the Oscars Again

Oscars TV Review

Neil Patrick Harris said in an interview with the Huffington Post that after hosting the 2015 Oscars, he doesn’t know if he could bear it again.

“I don’t know that my family nor my soul could take it,” he said with a laugh. “It’s a beast. It was fun to check off the list, but for the amount of time spent and the understandable opinionated response, I don’t know that it’s a delightful balance to do every year or even again.”

The “How I Met Your Mother” star says that every laugh was planned meticulously for the show, despite criticism that the show seemed too improvised and featured unnecessary racially-themed jokes. The jests ranged from Harris’ kick-off joke, “Today, we honor the best and whitest. Sorry, brightest” to Sean Penn later questioning how “Birdman” director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu got his green card.

“It’s so difficult for one who’s simply watching the show to realize just how much time and concession and compromise and explanation has gone into almost every single thing,” Harris said. “And I’m not saying that to defend everything I said as if it was the absolute best choice, but it’s also an award show, and you’re powering through 14 acts filled with 20 plus awards. So, my job was to try and keep things as light and specific to this year’s set of films as possible. And if people are critical of that, it’s a big giant platform, so I would assume that they would be.”

Still, the 87th Annual Academy Awards show saw a 16% decline in viewership, the lowest rating for total viewer count in six years. Last year, Ellen DeGeneres hosted the Oscars, which was the third time in five years the telecast had more than 40 million viewers, according to Nielsen.

Other criticisms of the show stem from those who were snubbed, including the absence of recognition for Ava DuVernay’s “Selma,” which took home one award for Original Song, and Richard Linklater’s “Boyhood,” which took home one award for Patricia Arquette’s supporting actress role.

But Harris said the Dolby Theater audience appeared to be enjoying themselves. He was warned prior to the ceremony that the room would get less enthusiastic as winners were awarded.

Oddly enough, it was last week’s viral sensation #TheDress that brought Harris the most relief since the Feb. 22 telecast.

“It was a nice reprieve from all the Oscar bereavement, so I was thrilled that it exists.”

1. k says:

Mr. Dougie Houser, also known as Neil Patrick Harris, can do whatever he wants and still have my whole approval

2. spike says:

sorry, the gay parade is OVER. no more gay hosts, no more gay producers, no more gay production numbers. Academy, please, we’re over-gayed. we’re gay-ed out.

3. sheila sackett says:

I don’t get it, has everyone lost their sense of humor? The reason he was in his underwear was a direct homage to the movie Birdman, the “racial slur” was giving a nod to the controversy that everyone was aware of–way to get that elephant out of the living room–calm down people…
    I applaud Mr Harris, he did a fine job and America is wayyyyyyyy too judgemental.

4. brianc2012 says:

He was horrible , and there was no need to see him in his underwear on stage at the Oscars! how very Tacky and low class the event has become..go away Neil..your so overrated!

5. Gina says:

Oh my god people are complaining regarding tight or whities! Actors bare all the time in movies..if Tatum chanting went out in tight or whities or is it the fact that a guy man did..my god..

6. Ron Glee says:

Honey, ya brought Broadway to Hollyweird and that was not a good thing. From here on in keep your pants on and keep singing like a Bald Soprano!

7. Linda D. Kruger says:

Whee is my long long reply I tried to put a photo then I couldn’t get back to where I was?

8. Zoe says:

Pathetic, if you have to take your pants off in order to get a laugh or for shock value. Then its time to consider another type of career.

He must be the worst host ever at the Oscars. Who on earth made the decision to hire Harris?

9. Sal Rastegar says:

Awesome and wait for it…. Lenge……………….Dary…

10. Neil P. Harris should have had Miley Cyrus up there with him when he displayed his “tighty whities”,i.e.’Bird Man’; even better, he could have re-enacted the Ed Norton scene where Ed was in bed on stage with his girlfriend,(‘Bird Man’). That would have bee funny !! LOL

11. Gina says:

Music has been using using racial slurs forever and they still get grammys..Oscars.

12. zyggie says:

Why oh Why did he take his clothes off? We all guessed you had junk so why? Tasteless act and I’m really getting tired of this guy. Enough. Go enjoy your family and do something else other than award shows.

13. choctawed says:

Thanks for not coming back. Who wants to see your junk on the oscars or any other place for that matter.

14. Sylvia says:

Hosting the Oscars is a thankless job. The critics just love to trash the job they do. Why anyone signs up for that gig is beyond me. NPH was just as good as Ellen was.

15. tdoa says:

I think NPH is great, but he was dismal as the Oscar host. However, I wonder how much of it was him and how much of it was the writers. So a case could be made that he did his best considering the material he was given to work with. As for the tighty whities; it would have been entirely inappropriate and lame under any other circumstances, but within the context as a hommage of shorts (bad pun I know, but could’nt resist) to Birdman, it was right on. Good thing he’s fairly young and in reasonably good shape, if not the whole web would also have exploded with age and body shaming comments.

• Diana says:

Neil is reat. It was probably all of the writers fault. He should do it again and select tame humor.

• Jacques Strappe says:

Harris admitted to writing some of the material and ultimately having final say on what he delivered on stage so let’s not blame “the writers” here.

16. Miranda Smith says:

It seemed most of the hosts insulting remarks were aimed at African Americans including Octavia Spencer and Oprah. His conceit, unfunny jokes, and egotistical behavior were painful to watch. Interesting that he thinks he’s in control of whether he comes back or not. Did it ever occur to him that he won’t be invited back?

17. jim says:

Bunch of middle-aged conservative women hating on a gay Oscar host. What a surprise…
    Loosen up and stop taking stupid shit so seriously. It’s free entertainment!

• Teddy Simon says:

Middle aged conservative woman or men do not watch the Oscar. This is strictly a liberal domain.

• P.S. says:

Don’t know who you’re hanging out with, but from my perspective, every middle aged men or women were watching the Oscars. The rest of us were out, enjoying life.

18. Margaret L. says:

He’s OK with the Tony crowd, but never again for the Oscars. Appearing onstage in underwear is a new low for the Oscars (worse than Lowe/Cinderella). Would Hope or Carson do it? No way. It was in very poor taste, except for maybe the gays who watched, but that’s still a minority of ppl don’t forget. I also felt sorry for poor Octavia Spencer being called out again and again…another childish stunt. Would have preferred more time spent on the In Memory tribute (sans that annoying song that was sung) than watching his desperate antics trying to be the best host of all time. He was out of his league.

19. Everett Barnes says:

Perhaps “flaunting his tighty whiteys” can now be considered synonymous with “jumping the shark.”

20. Joe Leland says:

The Oscar hosting job is the most thankless job in Hollywood, and that is saying a lot. One requirement for the gig is that you have to play sycophant to all of the talent in the room because the host one day might be working with or for these people and that is something that the millions of people watching don’t care much for. Those who don’t, do something edgy and maybe a little subversive and poke fun at the talent, industry or the whole self congratulatory culture that awards season (and the Academy Awards) promotes end up getting criticized for doing so and don’t get asked back (Chris Rock, Seth Macfarlane). And God forbid that a host makes any political or social commentary during the show. That’s considered inappropriate. The host is given the impossible task of entertaining the audience inside the theater and the millions watching with all of these conflicting conditions and constraints.

21. ss says:

Every year I read all about how this year’s Oscars were the worst. It’s kind of ridiculous. I’m not totally sure that the public knows what they like/want. I thought the show was pretty standard for what it is.

Seth McFarlane was ripped for sexism. Billy Crystal was ripped for being past his prime, or whatever. Don’t even get me started on Anne Hathaway and James Franco, they got slaughtered. I don’t remember the Ellen criticism, but that’s because I didn’t watch that year so I didn’t pay any attention to the reviews. But I know that she got a ton of it. Do people like Oscar hosts at all? I really don’t think so.

22. Flavia G. says:

I think they will improve the ratings if the show is on Saturdays and not Sundays, specially in other countries with the time difference.

23. John Galt says:

He’s an overrated no talent hack. Also why does the Oscar’s insist on pushing the comedy?

• Diana says:

You question is a good one. With so many talented people that need to sell their craft or their talents to the masses, the omission of more jokes would leave more time for other performances that shold been seen.
      The comedy portion should be dolled way down,

• jim says:

You’re an idiot. He has more talent on his pinky finger than what you have.

24. Jerry says:

It was probably the most boring Oscars in the last decade. Maybe the writers were bad, but his performance was forgettable at best.

25. Sue Karr says:

Neil, you’re right – it’s checked off your list, move on.
    Best wishes.

26. Renee Jones says:

Of course the audience enjoyed the show because looking past Neil Patrick Harris was an easy thing to do and a person easy to ignore. Potty break anyone? Of all of the choices for host of the Oscars, how in the world (and why) did the powers that be choose him? And if I ever turn on my computer and see Neil Patrick Harris again in his underwear (although you could tell he was happy to do it and thinks he is hot to someone) I would honestly want to take the computer out back and use it for target practice. Ah, I know. I’ll use posters. He does exude plenty of targets. I missed a lot of the show because of him and I realize I could be the only person who thinks this way and I appreciate the chance to speak my opinion.

27. Brandon Bell says:

And Wise, the phrase is “tighty whites”.

28. Julienne says:

Shouldn’t one have to be entertaining and funny, to be the host?

29. THEPUPPETMAN says:

NPH. You are a professional! You delivered exactly what your producers asked from you. It’s society and it’s the Academy that will never understand that they are elitists. Nobody wants to hang out with the elitists . Unless of course, you’re only consumed with money and you’re not interested in art nor are you interested in connecting with your fellow human being. The general public would hang out with you Mr. Harris. However they would never want to watch a party that excludes them. Onward and upward and backward and forward off we go…

30. jan says:

I think NPH did a great job with the Oscars. It’s no easy task and very time consuming. Give him a break.

31. Mae says:

If he even DREAMS of hosting again, he should wake up and punch himself in the face.

32. Apollonia says:

Spellcheck. Should be “Iñárritu” … not Innaritu.