Mormon Comedy ‘Once I Was a Beehive’ Gets National Release

Once I Was a Beehive
Courtesy of Main Dog Productions

Main Dog Productions’ faith-based family comedy “Once I Was a Beehive” has been set for a nationwide release next month by Purdie Distribution, Variety has learned exclusively.

Main Dog, led by director-producer Maclain Nelson, has also signed a deal with Samuel Goldwyn Films for digital and streaming later this year.

“Beehive” has launched theatrically in more than a dozen cities in Utah, where it was shot. Purdie handled 2013’s “The Saratov Approach,” the real-life story of two Mormon missionaries who were kidnapped and tortured in Russia in 1998, and saw domestic grosses top $2.1 million.

Nelson, who produced and starred in “Saratov,” directed “Beehive” from his own script about a 16-year-old girl, played by Paris Warner, who is still mourning the death of her father when her mother marries a Mormon man. She attends a girls’ camp with members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and meets others who have undergone similar stressful experiences.

Purdie will show the film in 40 markets and on over 200 screens, with bookings set for Los Angeles, Seattle, New York, Portland, Las Vegas, Chicago, Austin, Houston and Phoenix.

“The Saratov Approach,” which played in 84 theaters at its widest release, generated strong support among young Mormons, who touted the film on social media.

1. Medalrider says:

Napoleon Dynamite was very LDS and is a great hit with non members. Have an open mind and enjoy a movie you can take your date or kids to. What’s the worst that can happen – you have a good time and leave feeling happy? (Its called feeling the Holy Spirit.)

2. Tim Tennery says:

I live miles from the nearest place to see any movie they pump in the sun only 12 hour a day here, but i’ld be willing to craw through the bushes to see this movie. It sounds fun.

3. Carma Mirabal says:

Hope it comes to the SF Bay Area. I saw the movie in Utah and loved it. Hard to get these neat films to our theaters!

4. Carolyn says:

I sure hope it comes to St. Louis, MO. I saw the trailer and it looks very good.

5. Phyllis Lee says:

Will it play in Sacramento CA area?

6. TexasLass0707 says:

Yea! Houston’s on the list! — After I watched the trailer, I already told a few people about the film – and then found out it was only in Utah. :-( Then recently, I read that they were trying to broaden the release and am so happy that it will come to Houston. We went to see Freetown, which played in several theaters, and went way out in the boondocks to the one theater that was playing The Cokeville Miracle (I’d also seen, with a friend and a young friend of hers, The Saratov Approach when it came out). It’s so nice to have quality films that are LDS-based.

7. Sue says:

Before deciding what you think this film is about, why not try seeing it. It’s a charming and funny film that pokes fun at Mormon traditions.

8. Oleta says:

So this is a proselytizing exercise?

9. Robyn says:

This is a GREAT movie! Makes you laugh and cry too. A good family feel good movie.

10. Go see it, I did! I promise, this is one adorable and fun Mormon movie that will wiggle its way into your heart.

11. It’s probably funny. But Mormonism is no joke.