Lionsgate Planning ‘John Wick’ Sequel

John Wick
Courtesy of Lionsgate

Lionsgate is planning a sequel to Keanu Reeves’ action-thriller “John Wick.”

CEO Jon Feltheimer made the announcement Friday during a conference call with analysts to discuss the studio’s earnings for the third quarter ended Dec. 31.

“We see ‘John Wick’ as a multiple-title action franchise,” Feltheimer said.

The movie grossed $43 million domestically and $35 million internationally following its October launch. Feltheimer noted that the title had performed well in ancillary markets.

“John Wick,” written by Derek Kolstad, and directed by Chad Stahelski and David Leitch, also starred Michael Nyqvist, Alfie Allen, Adrianne Palicki, Bridget Moynahan, Dean Winters, Ian McShane, John Leguizamo, and Willem Dafoe. In the action pic, Reeves plays a retired hitman seeking vengeance for the killing of his puppy, a gift from his late wife.

The film was produced by Basil Iwanyk of Thunder Road Pictures, Leitch, Eva Longoria and Michael Witherill. Stahelski and Leitch previously worked with Reeves as stunt doubles on The Matrix trilogy.

Kolstad is writing the sequel. He’s repped by APA, Circle of Confusion and Behr Abramson Levy LLP.

Movies.com first reported that Stahelski and Leitch were developing a sequel.

1. Amy Gonzales says:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I HAVE BEEN AWAITING THIS NEWS EVERY SINCE I WATCHED THE JOHN WICK MOVIE!

2. John Wick is the most romantic movie in a long time. Men are hopeless romantics, but need to believe it, and the grief in this movie hits that home. Male romance is like “you took my wife and I’ll chase you to the ends of the earth.” While female romance often is a girl with two suitors who love her fiercely but she’s not much of a romantic. From Casablanca to Notebook and Twilight, ladies like to have two men in their love stories, men prefer a love story where there’s a woman but she’s in the background and not really “in” the story.

3. bugsyd says:

Outstanding movie with a great cast. Glad to hear that a sequal is in the works.

4. RMGriffis says:

Great genre film. They didn’t have a lot of money, so they had to have a clever script, that for all of it’s B-movie DNA, accepted that the audience might be intelligent enough to figure things out for themselves. As a result, it hinted at an entire world and culture without spelling out each and every beat of the movie. Good job, folks.

5. I.C. says:

YES, AWESOME,,,A #2!

6. palmhammer says:

Maybe the second film will have a plot. John Wick was another poor example of today’s action movies. Give your protagonist a new gun every five minutes to shoot an endless stream of bad guys. 47 Ronin was a much better film.

7. Mavranos says:

Yeah, I’m thinkin’ he’s back.

8. LOL says:

John Wick is a masterpiece. And I’m hard to please.

9. Laith says:

This is a great
    I hope this movie will be better than the first one because the first was outstanding so this new movie need to be amazing
    I think that this part will be about John wick in the past

10. zoso says:

I read they might try and make the sequel without Reeves, if that is true stupid move on their part. Very stupid move why ruin what you have already established.

11. DorothyParkerlite says:

Nice. They did a really good job and Reeves is a great antihero. Like him supremely pissed off. Loved him in Constantine too. Dafoe, Leguizamo and Nyqvist were awesome too. Great fight scenes. I hope Wick gets another puppy. He needs that puppy!

12. Roni says:

I have not seen this ; however, I shall …I have always been a fan and even Rotten Tomatoes reviewer was a fan…if it is rotten I will watch it..

13. Cris says:

Magic — sooooooo much better than the superhero tripe we are constantly being served. JOHN WICK kicks ass the right way!

• Mike DC says:

John Wick was unquestionably the most fun film of 2014. The fight sequences are fun, inventive, and far superior to most. The combination of grace, efficiency, and brutality was mesmerizing. I saw this film four times in the theater, and I know that’s ridiculous. Bring on the sequel.

• David A May says:

I’m with you..saw it a bunch of times and loved it each time. great film for the genre. Too bad the masses don’t catch on. Wick’s fight sequences must have inspired (spoiler alert) the church scene in Kingsman (which is a lot of fun).
        Mavranos’ comment is the BEST! Just classic…very clever; made me laugh ’cause i wasn’t expecting it.