Fox Rebooting ‘League of Extraordinary Gentlemen’ with New Movie

'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' Movie Reboot

20th Century Fox is rebooting its 2003 historical fantasy film “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” with John Davis on board to produce through his Davis Entertainment banner.

Jayson Rothwell has been hired to write “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.” Ira Napoliello and Matt Reilly are overseeing the remake, based on Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill’s graphic novel of the same name, centering on Victorian-era literary characters such as Captain Nemo, the Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde teaming to fight a common enemy.

A TV series was in development in 2013 with “Green Lantern” writer Michael Green on board as showrunner and exec producer alongside Erwin Stoff. Fox made a put pilot commitment but the show was not ordered to series.

The feature film starred Sean Connery as Allan Quatermain; it was the thesp’s final live-action movie before he retired. The studio had planned for “League” to become a franchise but the worldwide gross reached only $180 million.

“The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” comic book series launched in 1999.

Rothwell is repped by WME.

News of the reboot was first reported by The Tracking Board.

1. Schuyler King says:

As I see it the critical flaw was not in the movie itself but the assumption that there was at least a semi literate audience who would be familiar with the characters upon whom it was based. I myself must admit to ignorance of the comic book which was listed as the inspiration however; I have read the literature from whence the characters were originally drawn. A while ago I viewed the film with several older teens and young adults who had no idea as to what some of the scenes referred. No idea who even Tom Sawyer or Henry Jeckel were let alone Dorian Gray or Allen Quartermain and while the name of Professor Moriarty was familiar, it was a familiarity from recent films and television where he was mentioned as the unseen villain rather than from having read anything that would have given them some actual knowledge of the character. That, in my opinion was the reason for the abysmal showing at the box office and not the quality of the film. Several years farther down the time line when even fewer people read beyond the number of characters that can be sent in a text message or instagram, To my knowledge there have been no films or wild popular television programs that would introduce or explain the histories or why we shouldeven care. What makes them think the new project will fare any better?

• Tony! says:

So you’re assuming the fault with audiences instead of the creators of movie and you do so by assuming audiences were insufficiently literate. Wow. That’s crappy.

2. Johnathan says:

The League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen, which my family and I are watching as we speak on blu-ray, is a great movie that I consider a sleeper. I hope they release a part 2 and put some considerable money behind it in advertising. I think from the ending of the first movie Sean Connery came back to life. So I’m sure a part 2 with prove to be very interesting and worth seeing. Just like The Chronicles of Riddick , poor advertising and a lack of finance could have made it more popular.

3. GJ says:

I hope that Les Hommes Mysterieux can make an appearance

4. Bigfish says:

Nice one, I love that

5. Mark says:

Preferred the Original Movie myself.

6. Joshua Cragg says:

I’d love to finally see this happen as would I a continuation of Hitchhikers Guide films (or TV versions) and Van Helsing one as well.

It’s about time this happened, just because something doesn’t break “box office” expectations doesn’t mean it wasn’t loved or watch over and over again by it’s true fans.

7. Ken Kratt says:

I love this movie. I am very glad that Fox is decided to take the initiative to do another movie in this line or remake the original. Just everything about the blend of characters and the cash that portrayed them is fantastic in my opinion. If they ask asked me to play a role in this movie, I would be doing backflips.

8. Ethan says:

If this movie didn’t come out the same time as Pirates of the Caribbean, it would have gotten a lot more attention. It really wasn’t that bad. Pirates just was so much better.

9. Draven says:

Wow, Hollywood is rebooting a movie? Color me shocked!

10. I don’t know who told the person that wrote this article, but League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen is not a fantasy movie.

11. Julie Miller says:

How about rebooting some of the great old movies prior to 1960 be rebooted?!?!?!?!

12. John Wild says:

Definitely the right time to do this, but how bout this time we remove head from anus and do it right. Don’t let us down again Fox.

13. Eric P. says:

People just don’t know what the word “reboot” means anymore.

Anyway: here’s a case where I welcome a remake — the idea is cool enough (in the source material, anyway) that it merits a second attempt.

• Tony! says:

Will you be informing everyone of what the word means since the rest of us are clearly ignorant? I mean since you’re so superior to everyone else.

• John Wild says:

Well said. I believe we are all in agreement that for this project we forget the Connery movie entirely.That being said I did enjoy it for what it was.

14. Tifa Carlyle says:

I liked it, own it on blu-ray, but it had its flaws. (also I stand by Nick on the lack of Mina being referenced).

15. Olan Knight says:

I absolutely ADORED the movie. It was fun, intelligent, action packed, had great characters and brilliant special effects. However,the timing sucked.

Today, Steampunk is a HUGE worldwide cultural phenomenon and I suspect that if the movie had been released in 2015 it would have done FAR better.

16. Nick Antony says:

Kind of annoyed that Mina Murray wasn’t mentioned in the write-up, but all the male characters got named. Mina’s the leader of the team in the comics, and one of only two characters to feature in all volumes of the series. Get with the program, Variety.

17. kenfurman46 says:

Let’s remake “the League of uninspired Holywood producers”… Oh yeah! It’s been made a few hundred times in the the last few years.

18. Throw tomatoes at me if you want, but I enjoyed LOEG. Maybe because I’m a Connery fan, but I was willing to overlook its many faults.

19. harry georgatos says:

The problem is 80% of screenwriters in Hollywood lack script skills of story and dialogue! Most of them dumb down the material to such an extent that insults the wider demographic of moviegoers. There’s only so many Christopher and Jonathan Nolan’s out there who know how to write a decent script with so many other writers in the Hollywood studio system that are clueless.

This reboot is probably going to be written by nerds who won’t even realize why the first film was so bad.
    If it’s based on the quality of Alan Moores writing then it will find an audience. Most cinemagoers have been burned over and over with so many remakes and reboots that most patrons have learned to stay away. In Hollywood it’s the dumb leading the dumb with a handful of talented writers and directors holding up the system.

• Actually, the skills of the writers is less of a problem than the insistence of producers that THEY know what will sell so writers should write that. Writers have little to no control under the studio system in what they write, so quality takes a back seat as does originality. A writer may come up with a great first draft but then the producers will take it and tinker and tinker and tinker until it’s what you see on the screen. Yes there are hacks, but there are more producers getting in the mix and they are not always writers or creative types.

• fatsolio says:

I await the day they reboot a movie within a year after the original comes out. It’ll happen given how pathetic that industry is.

20. David Young says:

The movie was SO badly written that there was no story. It spent 3/4 of it’s time introducing characters and 10-15 minutes actually having them do something. With a cast that large, a series is the only way to go. Even Game of Thrones didn’t try to introduce everyone at once.

21. PG says:

They should hire an army of legal experts and faithfully adapt CENTURY, replete with Daniel Radcliffe coincidentally playing a small role in the finale, and mini-cameos from other genre actors because you (hopefully) can’t get in trouble for cameos… it would be epic. But likely make no money and kickstart no franchise..

22. Sean Padlo says:

I enjoyed the film.

23. charlesamiller says:

The first League movie sucked incredibly hard. Why throw away millions more on what is sure to be a terrible reboot? Same question I ask of the Fantastic 4 producers.

24. I wonder if they’ll actually try to make it like the comic, which is awesome beyond all reckoning. Probably too much to ask for, as the story was tailored to the medium of comics. Crap, just go read the comics people. You’ll be glad you did.

25. Kathy Stuart says:

Hasn’t this been done already with “Penny Dreadful”?

• IMHO says:

I think the success of Penny Dreadful is most likely the reason that Hollywood is rebooting LXG.

Hopefully they can find someone as amazing as Eva Green to play the role of Mina Harker

26. This is the kind of news that makes you wish the world had ended back in 2012…

27. Luke Cage says:

This movie came out less than 15 yrs ago, Fuc Re charging all these franchise Hollywood needs to b pushing out more original concepts.

28. Amber Q says:

Truly awful idea.Who the hell actually wants this?.The first one was God awful.

• Brendan says:

The original film was awful.. I agree… because it completely disregarded the brilliant graphic novel it was based on.
      If they stick to the Alan Moore novel, it could be great.

29. My Head Is Shaking... says:

Well, it’s official: Tinseltown has run out of original ideas. The original was probably the worst movie in Sean Connery’s long and illustrious career (ZARDOZ comes close).

• kenmandu says:

Zardoz with today’s effects would be genius. It has one of the great comments on technology: “We even journeyed to the stars… Ho hum – another dead end.”

• PG says:

And wasn’t just his “final film before he retired,” but the main REASON he retired!

• ifirefly says:

Ugg. The first one was among of the worst we ever saw…and we were fans of the book. Please…some things should stay between the pages, or at least get scriptwriters who can do the job…

30. Crowbane says:

Penny Dreadful already beat you to it and did it better than you could possibly hope to match.

31. Todd P. says:

Get your facts straight, the Tom Sawyer character was not featured in the original novel, he was created for the film.