Jennifer Lawrence’s ‘Joy’ Gets Dark Preview at CinemaCon

Jennifer Lawrence David O Russell
Lester Cohen/WireImage

Don’t expect Jennifer Lawrence’s “Joy” to live up to its title — Fox presented a look at David O. Russell’s apparently dark drama about the inventor of the Miracle Mop at CinemaCon on Thursday.

The dialogue-free footage, with church bells chiming throughout, showed a blonde, smile-free Lawrence getting married and donning welder’s gear to design the Miracle Mop in the role of inventor-entrepreneur Joy Mangano, a single mother living in Long Island. Russell previously directed Lawrence in “Silver Linings Playbook” and “American Hustle.”

Edgar Ramirez plays Mangano’s husband and Robert De Niro is starring as Mangano’s father. The footage included a glimpse of a grim Lawrence and De Niro dancing at a wedding.

Fox has set “Joy” for a Christmas Day release.

1. RT says:

This movie better be really, really fascinating because I have zero interest in a movie about household utensils.

2. Sheyla says:

The film is just ok it’s not a masterpiece adn the performances are good but some kind overacting. I don’t think this gets Oscar awards or it shouldn’t win at all.

• andrew says:

How would you know? It hasn’t even been released! Wished your writing skills matched your bold criticism, BTW.

3. john says:

One of favorite directors and the biggest actress around right now, oh and also Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper: Are you kidding? I’m in!!! They say this movie has a dark, Godfather like vibe to it…It was only a footage with no dialogue so I can’t wait to see a full trailer at least.

4. Iván el Terrible says:

A movie about a woman who became the female version of Billy Mays by inventing a mop? This is what people consider the next Best Picture winner? I’ve seen B-movies with better plots.
    F*ck Russell and f*ck Lawrence! Their movies suck.

• Patrick Downing says:

Have you read the screeplay? It is much deeper than you think.

• Iván el Terrible says:

I’m sure it will be a boring trash just to make hipsters, snob and critics masturbate. Russell is not a genius, he’s a jerk.

• Patrick Downing says:

Diane Ladd, Virginia Madsen, Isablla Rosselini, Elizabth Rohm, and Edgar Ramirez are also in the cast. Last 3 movies have neeted 11 oscar nomination. Likely 3 or more for this with this cast

5. asert says:

Real dark(!) Average DOR movie

6. Soni EL says:

I can’t wait to see this, love this combo…and so happy to hear darker. Bring the drama please.

7. DJR says:

The team is BACK!

8. I’m so excited for this movie :3

9. Johnny L. says:

It seems the footage they showed at Cinemacon was show stopping and amazing. I think this is going to be a special movie.

10. Thomas says:

OMG! I’m so excited…can’t wait to watch this movie. To what I’ve heard David O Russell has done it again!