Joseph Gordon-Levitt Starring in ‘Fraggle Rock’ Movie (EXCLUSIVE)

joseph gordon levitt fraggle rock
Vincent Sandoval/Getty Images

Joseph Gordon-Levitt will produce and star in the live-action “Fraggle Rock” movie for New Regency, The Henson Co. and Lisa Henson.

The bigscreen adaptation of the musical puppet series created by the late Jim Henson has been in the works for nearly a decade, but the attachment of Gordon-Levitt constitutes a major boost.

“Fraggle Rock” debuted on TV in 1983 as a co-production by British TV company Television South, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., HBO and Henson Associates. It centered on the adventures of cave-dwelling creatures called Fraggles who have to deal with the industrious Doozers and furry giants called Gorgs.

The property was set up at New Regency in 2011. Montecito Pictures is no longer involved with the project.

“The first screen personas I ever loved were Henson creations, first on ‘Sesame Street,’ and then on ‘Fraggle Rock,'” Gordon-Levitt said. “Jim Henson’s characters make you laugh and sing, but they’re also layered, surprising, and wise. From Oscar the Grouch, to Yoda, to the Fraggles. I’ve never stopped loving his work, even as a young frisky man, and on into adulthood. Collaborating with Lisa Henson makes me confident we can do something that Jim would have loved. I’m grateful and excited to be working with New Regency on this project.”

Gordon-Levitt has been cast as Edward Snowden in Oliver Stone’s upcoming thriller “Snowden,” which Open Road Films will release in the U.S. on Christmas.

He’ll be seen next as the host of “Hit Record on TV With Joseph Gordon-Levitt,” which has its second-season premiere on June 12.

Gordon-Levitt is also starring in Robert Zemeckis’ “The Walk” as Philippe Petit and in an untitled Christmas comedy with Seth Rogen, Anthony Mackie, Lizzy Caplan and Jillian Bell.

He is represented by WME and Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer Austen Mandelbaum Morris & Klein.

1. I loved “The Muppets” , My Daughter & I grew up with “Sesame Street”…..Then “Fraggle Rock” was just as funny!! My female (young) groomer styled my dogs ears as Fraggle Rock character!!! She got a $10.00 tip for making me laugh at my boy…he’s sooo cute…let me show you…His name is Dozer…like a bulldozer! Will b glad to see the movie!! Yea… Gordon!!!

2. Sheena says:

Is there gonna be a Fraggle Rock Movie,must have n must see.

3. boojiboy says:

Could you have a think about adding a publication date to your articles? I often come across your articles but it’s hard to know how relevant they are.

4. the person who did the voice for mis,piggy frank oz ,

5. yoda was creation by frank oz ,

6. Yoda wasn;t a Henson creation.

• Michael says:

Yoda was a character created by Lucas. His on screen presence was designed by Lucas, with a consultation by Henson, and performed by Oz.

• Laurie Mann says:

No, but Frank Oz was the puppeteer and voice back in the ’80s

• NormandyWells says:

oops-I was wrong! The Yoda puppet was originally designed and built by Stuart Freeborn for LucasFilm and Industrial Light & Magic. Henson merely consulted on the building of Yoda. A few other Henson veterans contributed to the character, such as Wendy Froud who assisted on construction, but their work on Yoda was under LucasFilm’s employ.

7. Ryan Amerson says:

Down at Fraggle Rock! Woo!

8. My wife and I enjoyed the Fraggle’s as adults and look forward to the new view.

9. NGregory says:

I want to be excited for this, but without Jerry Nelson as Gobo, how could it ever do it justice? And Richard Hunt as Junior. They were key characters. Of course, they do still have have Steve Whitmire (Wembley), Dave Goelz (Travelling Matt & Boober), Karen Prell & Kathryn Mullen (Red & Mokey), so that’s quite a lot to work with.

10. Bonnie says:

Could be cool! Johnny Galeki (sp) should be considered, too.

11. Noel says:

Ummmm… A retread is a real thing. It means repeat or redo in a way that isn’t as good as the original, a la retread tires on semi trucks. Maybe check a dictionary before you go calling people retards.

• But you're wrong says:

First of all, “deadpool” didn’t question whether “retread” was a thing or not. Second, you’re very good at reciting definitions but without context you fail to make a valid argument. This is called a Straw Man argument. While a retread is indeed taking something old and making it like new, it is not, by definition, worse or not as good as the original. It’s just recycled. That being said, however, the whole point/statement he was making was that it was a tv series being made into a movie. That’s not retreading that’s EXPANDING. Otherwise every movie that was ever made based on a novel or a comic book or a tv show is a “retread” by your limited definition and therefore should not be made?

In the words of Inigo Montoya, “you keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.”

12. YAYYY…I LOVE FRAGGLE ROCK!

13. JB says:

man, this will be awful, jgl is horrible.

14. Nic la Cette says:

lord have mercy on my garbage heap soul! i cannot wait!!!

15. Ari Herzog says:

I’ll do anything for this for free. Fraggles *do* rock!

16. Anonymous says:

More retreads.

• Deadpool says:

Yes a retread of something that was on TV for 2-3 years TOPS getting a MOVIE wooooooo, how dare they make something of a property that hasn’t been seen in decades

17. I would help produce this for free.

18. therealeverton says:

I have a feeling I’m way happier about this than I should be.

19. cdhaskell says:

I wanted to wish Joseph Gordon-Levitt all the luck in the world.

20. Alexander says:

Except Jim Henson had nothing to do with Yoda. Stuart Freeborn made him and Frank Oz operated him and did the voice. No Jim Henson at all. Sorry, Joseph. But it’s probably a common misconception.

• You both have big dicks and are smart. Can you both just stop ruining the fun. It’s trolls like you that ruin the online experience. Wow

• Reggie says:

He actually had something to do with him. He was a consultant, though he didn’t have time to build Yoda, and he recommended Freeborn and Oz, as well as loaned out one or two other designers.

• NormandyWells says: