Jennifer Lawrence Confirms ‘Apocalypse’ Is Her Last X-Men Film

Jennifer Lawrence confirmed that “X-Men: Apocalypse” will be her last film in the franchise in an interview MTV News released Monday.

“It is my last one,” Lawrence said when asked if it would be her final “X-Men” film. (She drops the bomb around the 3:25 mark.)

Lawrence played sexy blue mutant Mystique in “X-Men: First Class” and “X-Men: Days of Future Past.” Mystique will reportedly play an even larger role in the plot of “Apocalypse.”

“The relationship between Beast and Mystique is a really interesting one that we didn’t have a lot of time to explore in ‘Days of Future Past’ so we’ll have an opportunity to do more of that in ‘Apocalypse,’” said screenwriter Simon Kinberg.

“Part of what’s really interesting about Mystique’s character is that she is, in some ways, the child of both Erik and Charles,” Kinberg added. “She grew up with Charles and then she sort of became a woman with Erik, so her being the cross-pollination, if you will, of those two philosophies and those two men is something we can explore in the movie, too.”

“X-Men: Apocalypse” will also star series regulars including James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Nicholas Hoult and Rose Byrne, plus Oscar Isaac and Kodi Smit-McPhee, both new to the franchise. Neither Ian McKellen nor Patrick Stewart will be returning, however. Bryan Singer will direct.

1. Rob Nero says:

That’s wierd, because I just read another article, where Lawrence says she loves doing the Xmen films and can’t wait to do another…”http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/jennifer-lawrence-dying-do-more-x-men-films” Which one of you got your wires crossed?

2. Cal El Em En O P says:

I tried to watch X-Men: Days of Future Past three times and I fell asleep every time. Bryan Singer has yet to make a decent X-Men movie because he does not know how to direct an action scene. He is heavy on exposition and character and weak on narrative and action. He is all set up an no pay off. The Usual Suspects was the only good movie he made.

3. maegan says:

Yea TBH she’s not that impressive as Mystique. Rebecca was 1000x better in the role, and that god awful body suit thing Jennifer insists on wearing looks TERRIBLE. Its so bad. Pretty disappointing too because special FX and makeup have improved so much but the new Mystique suit looks much worse than the original one that debuted soooo many years ago.

4. allan lang says:

contract negotiations anyone? I hope they DO permanently dump her and bring back Rebecca

5. Bs says:

She seems to have lost interest in all the franchises that made her, she needs to be careful that once they are gone she doesn’t fade. I like her and think she is one of the best actress of our age and would quite happily compare her to Cathrine hepburn. But after great performances in hunger games and catching fire, both pre Oscar win, it was disappointing to see what appeared to be a half hearted performance in mockingjay.
    In response to the make-up comment she’s an actress she’s professional, if that’s her job she does it, I wouldn’t complain about spending 4hrs in make-up especially if I’m being paid millions for it. The person you should feel sorry for is her stunt double who has to spend the same amount of make-up time, and get no recognition for it. She can moan about the make-up but she shouldn’t A) complain about it. Or B) it should not be a factor in her choice to leave the X-men.
    I’d support her choice but I hope she does one hell of a performance, and she brings out the quality we all know is there.

6. Fred says:

I could not agree more with Jose. The focus for these x men movies has left the building in terms of the character. It’s become an obsession as to which actors are in the movie. This actually started in the first trilogy. It was such a concern to incorporate the lesbian who played the kitty chick. It was so irrelevant. The same goes here, there is no focus to the interesting, more popular characters. It’s all about the actors.

7. Jose Orjuela says:

Nothing dulls the edge of the X-Men film saga like trying to focus on the most secondary and tertiary characters in their pantheon. Love the actress, but the importance of the character is so elevated as to distract from an X-Men movie. We will have to suffer through it again, but at least knowing that’s the last time.

8. Soni says:

I didn’t love the fist one (First Class) of this set. I thought is was ok, love the casting. Jen, James and Micheal were all incredible. DOFP, I found enjoyable, maybe my favorite x-men. I hope this next one is darker. I have to say, I am looking forward to it. Sad to this cast starting to move out, but they do need to change it up. I personally have enjoyed Jen in these and THG. Certainly not her best work, but the quality of actors in both franchises have elevated the films. Action movies…please keep casting great actors…it pays off.

9. Joe says:

She seems incredibly disinterested in the X-Men franchise. They snagged her right after Winter’s Bone & before she became a superstar with Hunger Games, so of course they would make sure she finished her contract & give her a larger role with each subsequent sequel. She’s gone on record as hating the make-up process so I guess she’ll just go through the motions and get this done. The films are quite good but seem like a pain in the ass to make, especially if you have to go through many hours of full body make-up everyday for 4 months. Good on her for not bailing after winning an Oscar.

• Mat says:

In the dofp She was wearing a body suit. So the make up process wasn’t long like the first film but I drop her into the same category as those kids from the Harry potter films or that annoying chick from twilight. Once this and hunger games are gone that star will of burnt out.