Jennifer Lawrence to Play War Photographer in Steven Spielberg’s ‘It’s What I Do’

Jennifer Lawrence Burial Rites
Mike Marsland/WireImage

Warner Bros. has attached Jennifer Lawrence to star in director Steven Spielberg’s “It’s What I Do: A Photographer’s Life of Love and War,” sources confirm.

The studio won an auction Monday for the rights to the memoir by Lynsey Addario, the award-winning international photojournalist.

“American Sniper” producer Andrew Lazar is on board the drama.

The project attracted multiple offers after an excerpt of Addario’s memoir appeared in the the New York Times Magazine. ICM is repping the author.

Addario, who has traveled to war-torn countries like Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq, won the MacArthur Fellowship in 2008 and was part of the New York Times team that won a Pulitzer Prize in 2009 for International Reporting for her work in Waziristan. She was jailed for several days in Libya in 2011.

Wynn Wygal at Lazar’s company will oversee “It’s What I Do.” Racheline Benveniste and Julia Spiro are overseeing for the studio.

Spielberg is in post-production on the untitled DreamWorks-Disney Cold War thriller, starring Tom Hanks as attorney James Donovan, which has been dated for Oct. 16. The studios have also set Spielberg’s adaptation of Roald Dahl’s children’s book “The BFG” for July 1, 2016.

Lawrence is currently shooting David O. Russell’s “Joy,” which is set for a Christmas release by Fox. She’ll be seen next in Lionsgate’s “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 2” in November.

Other bidders for the project included Working Title Films with Reese Witherspoon attached; Darren Aronofsky with Natalie Portman attached; and The Weinstein Company with George Clooney and Grant Heslov involved and Margo Robbie starring.

CAA reps Lawrence and Spielberg.

The news was first reported by Deadline.com.

1. IT 2 IT says:

SPIELBERG continues to pitch on board, over-produced, over–engineered, TRIPE.

2. Lulu says:

Wow, this is welcome news for Lawrence’s fans and admirers of Spielberg. Other sources noted Harvey Weinstein was in the bidding and one wonders if that was the reason Weinstein reportedly showed up to see Lawrence on “Joy” location last week?

3. Thomas says:

Amazing news for cinema history! This is going to ROCK!!!

4. Harry says:

I thought that Jennifer Lawrence was going to play herself in a Jennifer Lawrence biopic…Hers is such an incredible and inspiring success story…I know they will make a movie about her sometimes.

5. john says:

OMG! I am about to die…Whatever year this is coming out it’s going to be THE film of that year!

6. uncle9 says:

It’s too bad that this first teaming of Jlaw and Speilberg couldn’t have been something fresh and original, rather than a memoir by a 41 year-old photographer. I didn’t read the excerpt but I can’t imagine it is a compelling enough story to merit this. At least Joy what’shername was a single mother of three and struggled to become a multimillionaire. Like Erin what’shername. I don’t get how this story is so hot to get such high-voltage attention. I’ll be a nickel it doesn’t come off…

7. TOM says:

Would’nt really expect a Best Actress win. Speilberg is incapable of generating a winning performance with DDL/Lincoln being the only exception. Mostly it’ll be Lawrence visiting foreign locations and looking pop-eyed at the majestic views.

8. Stergios says:

Sounds great. I smell another Oscar nominatgion for Jennifer. This girl can do no wrong.

9. Documentary says:

Great so when do we get to see the documentary?

10. Larry Colker says:

Too bad Spielberg didn’t choose to do a movie on Lee Miller instead.Now there’s a subject.

11. Luc says:

Hey wolf, why you bring Kristen Stewart story here ? Are you butthurt ? At least she get parts in indie movie others can’t even get hat.

12. Sia says:

I will see it I love her ! The jokes most of you guys are making aren’t that funny TRY AGAIN ! Get use to seeing her and stop crying.

13. Russ says:

I wonder what part Bradley Cooper will play?

14. Wolf says:

A list people always have a lot of projects in development, duh. They’re popular, everyone wants to work with them. That’s how you can measure the health of someone’s career.

When you announce you’re taking time off and you come back in some little indie filmed in Montana, then you know it’s the only offer you got during your “break.” Jen barely takes a week off without being offered multiple big budget studio films and her choice of indies with Oscar winning directors, not flop artists.

• Walker says:

I know they have in development projects. I’m just saying that it astounds me that one person can have so many potential movies and TV shows to produce and maybe direct. Good thing, I guess. Keeps them busy.

15. Soni says:

This sounds fantastic. I hope this happens.

16. Walker says:

I agree with Cinema Box Office Report. So many in development projects, so many sequels to other movies, so little time. Enough money? Ugh. I kind of wish Spielberg would use some of his money to start a studio for experimental filmmakers and these projects. Oh wait…