Jennifer Lawrence Almost Starred in ‘The Hateful Eight’

Jennifer Lawrence Hateful Eight
Jonathan Hordle/REX Shutterstock

Jennifer Lawrence almost landed the female lead in Quentin Tarantino’s “The Hateful Eight.”

Tarantino was initially interested in casting the actress for the part of Daisy Domergue and even met with her prior to filming to discuss the possibility of her joining the film.

“I’m a huge Jennifer Lawrence fan,” Tarantino, who selected the majority of the “Hateful Eight” cast before writing the script, told Entertainment Weekly. The director said he admires the bond between the actress and filmmaker David O. Russell and stated that their relationship closely resembles that of actress Bette Davis and director William Wyler.

“I can see her doing a good job with this role, so we went to talk about it and everything,” Tarantino said of potentially casting Lawrence, 25. “She was just doing me a courtesy to see me, I think. She was doing ‘Joy.’ She had to do all this publicity on the ‘Hunger Games’ movies. There was just no f—ing way in the world that she was available.”

“Having said that, I’m glad I didn’t cast somebody that young. I think I absolutely positively made the right choice, as far as the ages of the characters,” said Tarantino, who ultimately cast Jennifer Jason Leigh, 53, for the role of Daisy.

Leigh’s Daisy is a foul-mouthed, conniving fugitive, who’s bloodied and battered for the better portion of the film, which ignited accusations of misogyny.

In an interview with Variety, Leigh disagreed with those speculations, stating that she wasn’t concerned about audiences deeming the violence imposed on Daisy as misogynistic.

“She’s a leader and she’s tough,” she insisted of her character, which she credits as one of the best roles of her life. “She’s hateful and a survivor and scrappy. [Quentin] doesn’t have an ounce of misogyny in him. It’s not in his writing. It’s not in his being.” She added, “He writes very brave, bold, insane, fabulous women. Nobody writes women like he does.”

Tarantino’s “Hateful Eight” is also at the center of a piracy scandal. The director’s latest film, along with a handful of other Oscar contenders, were leaked to piracy sites. The pirated “Hateful Eight” screener has now been linked to Alcon Entertainment co-CEO and “Point Break” producer Andrew Kosove. Kosove has insisted that he never had contact with the screener in question.

“The Hateful Eight” debuts in limited release on Christmas Day and goes wide on Jan. 8.

1. 85wzen says:

This chick is way overrated! She’s just the latest candycane that a bunch of white chicks like! …and Variety can you get rid of that stupid little video? it’s slowing down my Internet!

2. lindsey says:

JJL was really good, but Taryn Manning would’ve crushed that role.

3. cadavra says:

Hey, Moderator! This is an ENORMOUS Spoiler!

4. sevenhorseshoes@gmail.com says:

I love the Jennifer in the film – Jennifer Jason Leigh. She can bring things the other Jenn just can’t. and apparently, JJL did. Can’t wait to see her.

5. sageitzat says:

I am glad she wasn’t cast. She speaks about the wage gap but not the AGE gap.

She would’ve been starring in a movie with men whose average age is 50. She’s 25 but keeps getting roles meant for older actresses. There’s a backlash coming against her.

Soon she’ll be 35-40 and be wondering why roles meant for older actresses are going to 25 yr olds.

6. Harry says:

Jennifer Lawrence should work with Tarantino. I think she would have been great as Daisy but I feel it’s better that Tarantino writes a more substantial part for her as lead.

7. Humored says:

Hahahaha!! This made me spit out my coffee I laughed so hard!

(I usually don’t like personal attacks in comments, but this comment is an exception for me)

8. The outside issue is that of misogyny. In the movies, a single woman left among a horde of questionably moral men is never raped. That’s PC, not the real world. Other elements of misogyny–or men’s hatred of women–is felt and seen in what remains of “the real world” but not in the movies; because, unlike a fictional film, Planet Earth falls to its primal instinct–hate–over the cultural morality of right and wrong, good and bad, and so on. “The Hateful Eight” sort of says that in the title; and hatred of women is something to be explored from both the man’s and woman’s point-of-view, if an attempt at honesty is being made, here. If not, we’re all in Disneyland.

9. Sanman$ says:

Hateful 8 opens on Christmas Day, I guess that’s why Kurt Russel has a Santa Claus beard. Ho, Ho, Ho!

10. Jennifer Jason Leigh doesn’t look 53 in the trailer. She looks closer to about 33.

11. Jennifer Jason Leigh is so great this! I hope there’s a nomination for her.

12. Leon says:

Thank god you didn’t cast that hack awful actress. I hate Jennifer Lawrence and hope she fades away fast.

13. Burro b says:

Lawrence + Roberts = 2 over rated crap actresses.

14. Richard says:

What’s the problem? She wouldn’t sl;eep with Tarantino. Come to think of it , who would? He does not make movies. He makes snuff films.

15. Lia Perez says:

He lucky she was busy. I think she’s a terrible actress.

• teriekwilliams says:

She’s overrated, not terrible. If she were cast, it would be another role in she played someone she’s at least 10 years too young to play.

• Jake says:

Lucky for you that you didn’t choose to be a film critic. You would have been terrible at that.

16. Wendy says:

Glad she wasn’t in it. QT is known for original casting, and casting her would have been a sell out

17. Jimmy Green says:

she should be very thankful for not getting this role.

18. Bren says: