Jennifer Lawrence Is Directing a Comedy

Jennifer Lawrence directing
Erik Pendzich/REX Shutterstock

Now that “The Hunger Games” franchise has come to an end, Jennifer Lawrence has set her sights on her next big project.

The Oscar winner wants to step behind the camera, opening the next chapter in her career.

“I’d also like to direct a comedy,” she told Entertainment Weekly, who named her their Entertainer of the Year. “I have wanted to direct as long as I’ve wanted to act. I just don’t talk about it because I’d rather just do it.”

Lawrence, 25, said she’ll be helming “Project Delirium” — an adaption of an article.

“I’ve signed on to direct something called ‘Project Delirium’ — it’s based on this article about mental warfare in the ’60s, like an acid experiment gone terribly wrong. It’s funny, I’ve wanted to direct since I was 16 and always thought I should start making steps towards that. If I had tried to do it earlier, I wouldn’t have been ready. Now I actually feel ready.”

The actress has already announced her plans to write a comedy screenplay with Amy Schumer, slowly becoming Hollywood’s newest multihyphenate.

“We play sisters,” Lawrence told The New York Times in late August about the film’s storyline. “We’re almost done writing. It just flowed out of us.”

However, this doesn’t mean that Lawrence will stop working with frequent collaborator director David O. Russell any time soon. The two have teamed up for a third time for the drama “Joy,” which opens Christmas Day. She earned an Oscar for their first film together, “Silver Linings Playbook.”

“David and I will never, ever, ever, ever not do movies together,” she told EW. “I love him so much that sometimes I can’t talk about him without tearing up. Look! I’m tearing up. I understand every look, every eyeball move, every word he says or doesn’t say. We were made for each other.”

1. Robert says:

Yawn…I’m sick of hearing about this woman. Way overhyped.

2. KWK says:

I have seen Ms. Lawrence in a few things now (“Serena” on dvd being the latest)…and she has yet to knock my socks off…the way Angelina Jolie did early in her career. That may change in time (she has a certain appeal) — she’s still quite young. It’s anyone’s guess how she’ll do as a director.

• Jack says:

“the way Angelina Jolie did early in her career”…Are you joking? I really hope so, for you. Jennifer Lawrence at 25 is already a 3 time Oscar nominee and 1 time winner. Watch the Hunger Games, then Silver Linings Playbook, if you are not convinced, watch Winter’s Bone…if you are still not convinced, call an ambulance, they will get you to the nearest mental hospital…

3. Quince says:

Is it true she is bigoted towards Christians? I hope she is more tolerant of others as she expects from them, if not, she’s a major fail in my eyes. Funny how Hollywood is often against Christians but say nothing about Muslims who vow to kill gays, kill Jews, and enslave women. Bunch of cowards, it seems.

• Jack says:

Don’t believe what you read, she is against Kim Davis’ views on gay marriage…she is against conservatives homophobes like her, who hide behind Christianity.

4. marshmallow says:

YOU GO GIRL! :D And to whoever below that said she’s not that great of an actress, are you crazyyyy???! The way she’s able to bring characters to life blows my mind. She’s so convincing. And from that little background part in “Like Crazy” (when I had no idea who she even was) to “Hunger Games” & “Silver Linings Playbook,” she’s aced every role she’s ever played. And she’s so naturally funny too. Hence, I’m thinking she’d make a great writer. The girl was born to be in this industry. So don’t hate. Appreciate. Because she makes movies great! :) #overandout!

5. Moose says:

Thanks for the warning.

• Lindsey says:

LOL! I agree. I am not interested in ANYTHING from this Christophobe.

• Morris says:

Since you are not sure Anne, you can read an article about someone you have no respect for. I read things about Hillary Clinton too from time to time.

• Anne says:

Couldn’t tell you’re not interested in anything from her since you took the time to read an article specifically about her.

6. She’s not that great of an actress and doubt if directing will get her very far either. Some actresses who get success at it start to get to big a heads and ruin it for themselves. Hope she has a good savings plan.

7. Kathy says:

Where did anyone say that this was a comedy? Because she certainly didn’t when she spoke on it. Google Operation Delirium. That is NOT a comedic story.

8. I like her, but this article is the first to make me consider that I might be getting a tiny bit sick of her.

9. astrodog says:

Good for her. It’s not like she is trying to tackle a property like Unbroken on her first shot.

10. JLaw’s chance comes because “she’s in.” She has made millions, she costs million and no doubt a deal has been made for her future services. That’s the business. Enough said.