First Look: Jared Leto as the Joker in ‘Suicide Squad’

Jared Leto as The Joker in

After teasing Jared Leto’s look in Warner Bros. upcoming DC pic “Suicide Squad” for the last two weeks, director David Ayer has now released the first official photo of the Oscar winner in full Joker makeup.

The photo promises another dark and wild version of the popular comicbook villain.

“Suicide Squad,” co-starring Will Smith and Margot Robbie, is currently shooting in Toronto. Story centers on a of supervillains hired for a mission by the government that if accomplished would give them a clean slate. The problem: The mission is likely to kill them all.

It opens nationwide August 2016.

1. MattOtf says:

Yo leto is making the joker look like a Marilyn Manson. Straight up. Im the biggest joker fan.
    He is my favorite villian. Hands down. But really. Short hair and silver teeth with tattoos really. But Good Harley Quinn. Will Smith will be great. And I wanna see this wether or not this joker is in my face. Its blasphemy to let joker look like this.

2. Bernd Gutschank says:

Joker died with Heath Ledger …

3. thetruth says:

he looks like a meth addict with green hair and a purple surgical glove please let this just be fan pics

4. Shev says:

He doesn’t look anything like joker.lets just see if he got the personality right when the movie is released. Personally I hate the look.way too many tattoos and the green is just not working.

5. ryanwin says:

That look when you just realized it wasn’t a fart.

6. Santino says:

This is the most uninspired look i have seen! I picture a bunch of marketers in a room saying…”what would be the most bad ass joker we can do?…I know! Tattoos! Tattoos are REALLY big right now! he should have tattoos!! Yeah YEAH! Tattoos with weird sayings! YES!”

LAME! LAME! LAME!

He looks like someone who wants to be trendy and cares what others think of him. At the core of the character is a nihilist, he doesn’t believe in anything enough to advertise it on his own skin. He feels that life is meaningless and the big joke is: that we all think we matter.

7. Digital Panther says:

This is definitely a more interesting take on the look of the character than others have tried…Though I am having hard time telling if this is the joker or Marilyn Manson’s newest look.

It will be interesting to see where they go with it.

8. LandoSon says:

You all need to stop hating this could be the best Joker since Heath Ledger. Please give him and the movie a chance,it does not even release until 2016…sheesh.

9. khurtack says:

Reblogged this on Gunsmoke & Ghouls and commented:
    So a photograph of Jared Leto as the Joker in the upcoming film adaptation of The Suicide Squad surface recently. He looks a bit like Marilyn Manson to me, but I’m still willing to give the movie a shot. Leto is a good actor and you really can’t judge a movie by one promo shot. Oh wait…this is the internet so I guess people will…

10. So, The Joker is actually the love child conceived between Jared Leto of Thirty Seconds to Mars and Josh Todd of Buckcherry?

11. What makes you say this is “full Joker makeup”? It’s possible (I hope, likely) that this is a stylized publicity portrait, and does not portray an actual character design. “The aim of Art is to present not the outward appearance of things, but their inner significance; for this, not the external manner and detail, constitutes true reality.”

• Michael Blackett says:

You artsy fartsy ratbag. You couldn’t just say what they put forward looks great ?? You have to put it down… Isn’t “art” one persons vision of their interpretation of something ?? Who are you to diss something someone else calls artwork.. I think you need to re-evaluate your art critic credentials. TOOL

12. That is the worst look the Joker has ever had.

We can now only hope Suicide Squad isn’t connected to the overall larger DC Movie Universe with Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Justice League…

13. response says:

Not gonna lie it looks like Marilyn Manson…… I cant paste a picture but just google Marilyn Manson screaming

14. Jacques Strappe says:

VARIETY, please review content before publishing. I expect more care to be taken.

15. Kushal says:

That “damaged” forehead tattoo is probably the single most tacky thing I’ve ever seen. Boo.

16. bob says:

reminds of me of the dirty dozen an jared leto looks good as joker but no heath ledger rip heath

17. Roenick says:

Jared Leto as The Joker beats Ben Affleck as The Batman every day, any day, and all day.

18. Old Nick says:

Weak.

19. Tony Prost says:

Well, it’s a look.

20. Michael Sams says:

Someone on ebay is already selling buttons with that version of the Joker on em. I wonder if anyone will make t-shirts…….

21. n0@n0.n0 says:

this entire “article” is 99 words. it provides little and less of value, and acts to serve only as click bait.

• Troy Moffitt says:

Yes, but a picture is indeed worth a thousand words, therefore this article is truly 1,099 words. Unless you count all the words on the tattoos. We are probably looking at 1,200 then.

• Ha says:

Because the picture’s the real story?

22. Seika Groves says:

Looks more like a Marilyn Manson caricature then the Joker.

23. Slayer696 says:

when I say classic joker,, I mean 1940s original joker. Ledger definitely got the closest. But come on Nicholson was a cheesy 1960s Version.that whole series of movies was terrible.

24. noah says:

I think the reason that they are doing the Joker this way is because no one can do a better classic Joker than Nicholson, and no one can do a better silence of the lambs like Joker than Ledger. So maybe they are going the root of crazy gang member, instead of crazy mob member, or crazy guy screwing with the mob. A gang would be a bit more contemporary considering we don’t hear much about Mafias anymore.

25. Slayer696 says:

Is nothing sacred these days??
    I was looking forward to a classic joker.
    But I guess they thought some tattoos and rotten teeth made him that much scarier??? This is a joke!!!

26. niall mulvany says:

looks like Marylyn Manson

27. Vanessa Beyers says:

“Story centers on a of supervillains”….looks like you’re missing a word in there.

28. CecilleGultiano says:

Scared me for a second.

29. josephruss says:

It’s not just the missing word I noticed, the whole article is badly punctuated.
    e.g
    “Suicide Squad,” – comma is not part of the title
    “if accomplished” should be a clause.
    “The problem: The mission..” – Shouldn’t have a capital after the colon.

30. Dano says:

Dear lord this is terrible. The tattoos are almost comical. Well, I suppose after WB cast Rob Zombie as Aquaman, casting Marilyn Manson as Joker seems par for the course. Kudos, DC. I’m not even sure they’re trying anymore.

31. Joey Reeves says:

I like it, it’s not what i expected and that’s what the joker needs. the joker has been done many times before and big changes to the design is a good change of pace,
    I’m just happy that this isn’t just another dark night version.
    a different interpretation is what the joker needs but that won’t stop fanboys from crying about something changing.

• Mike says:

First off the Joker has not been done many times, it has been done twice in film, not counting the 1966 film that was based off the tv show from 1960 Once by Jack Nicholson and once by Heath Ledger. Now dont get me wrong, change is always a good thing, but the performance of Heath Ledger in the Dark Knight was beautiful, capturing the character to a T. I too am glad they are not attempting a Dark Knight rendition because no actor could pull it off. As for the Joker needing a different interpretation, I would have to disagree on that front. We have seen both sides of the Joker done by the mentioned actors above. I am interested in seeing how Jared Leto does playing the role, but in my eyes nothing will ever out do Heath.

32. mark wilde says:

Story centers on a… on a… on a… WHAT? Justin Kroll, your “article” is barely a paragraph and you blew the editing. That’s sad, bro.

33. Steve Mahnn says:

Be Bad Ass for Zack Snyder means using some tatoos.

34. crackers81 says:

This is startlingly bad. Like, I really hope this is some hipster wannabe meta joke. Ever see that guy who wears sunglasses and a leather jacket, trying so desperately to look “bad”? Yeah, this joker is THAT guy. See, people who are actually bad are too busy ruining lives and generally being sociopaths to care about personal style. That’s why the Joker has always been dressed in slightly askew daper clothing from a different generation. If you have to tell people you’re crazy, then you’re not.

This…is creative bankruptcy right here.

• Joey Reeves says:

no not really, joker has always embarrassed his crazy, most interpretations of the joker is of someone who knows he’s crazy and loves it. also he has always worried about the way he dresses, if he didn’t care he wouldn’t dress all of his stuff in circus stuff and makeup

35. Theodore Roberts says:

We are sooo tired of the Joker (no reflection on the actor, just the villian choice) as well as the same for Superman – Lex Luthor. They both had other enemies. You’ve gone to the well too often! Let’s talk cash. If the box sucks, guess why.

• Nick Leggit says:

You do realize that there are multiple other villains in Suicide Squad, right? While the Joker and Lex Luthor may be the most hyped (and rightfully so in my opinion), they are including the “other enemies.”

• Hollywood always goes for the most obvious and recognizable icons to audiences. So for DC Universe it’s Joker and Lex, kinda like it’s always Harvard being the movie college, or whoever versus the Yankees, or always the FBI chasing God know what serial killer.

36. Zach Patnoe says:

I just want to see Harley’s costume…

37. Lindsay says:

He looks freaking awesome

38. Dan says:

He looks like Miley Cyrus.

39. Codie says:

He doesn’t look very jokerish.

40. “Story centers on a of supervillains hired for a mission by the government that if accomplished would give them a clean slate. ” Jesus, Variety! Who’s writing for you? Third graders? You mean, *The* story centers on a *group* of supervillians….

41. bloodyrave says:

I’m gonna call this Joker, CHOLO JOKER.

42. Yoyo says:

He looks like Linda Perry in her 4 Non Blondes days.

43. J67 says:

Hey Remember that time the Joker went into a tattoo parlor and patiently sat still for hours getting inked. Yeah, I can see that happening…

• CRB says:

what makes you think he didn’t do the ink work himself? because I bet you that that’s how it happened. he’s THAT crazy.

44. barry buzan says:

Looks like Ozzy Osbourne

45. Fortuna Veritas says:

Was anyone else reminded of Jim Carrey’s Black Swan bit?

46. Tim says:

Please change these tattoos!!!!

47. Hmm, I was a little disappointed at first, but it’s starting to make sense. As Chris Darling says below, there is a departure here from the previous incarnations of the character. And for the ensemble cast and story, perhaps this, um, skankier version of the Joker might work nicely. But, as usual, we won’t know how well it will work until it hits the screen.

• crackers81 says:

Using $5.00 phrases like “departure from the norm” doesn’t make this hackneyed teenage edgelord crap good.

• CRB says:

that’s just, like, your opinion, man. I, for one, am thrilled by the look here. he looks PERFECT. sadistic, wild, high-energy, AND anarchistic. perfect.

48. Hm, interesting approach. Don’t get the “Damaged” tattoo, but I’m curious to see the rest in motion.