Idris Elba on James Bond Possibilities: ‘If Everyone Wants Something, They Can Make It Happen’

Idris Elba James Bond
City Press/Elizabeth Sejake/REX

For a Variety cover story interview about Cary Fukunaga’s “Beasts of No Nation,” Idris Elba said that if he were ever cast as James Bond, he’d have his fans to thank.

“If human beings want to know if there’s any connectivity between all of us, the one thing I’ve heard around the world universally is that, ‘You’ll be great at James Bond!’” Elba told Variety in mid-August. “If it should happen, that’s proof there’s connectivity amongst human beings. If everyone wants something, they can make it happen. That would be true.”

Sony Pictures’ next Bond film, “Spectre,” which opens on Nov. 6, stars Daniel Craig. The studio is hopeful they can get Craig — who started playing 007 in 2006’s “Casino Royale” – to sign for at least one more film, and Elba explained to Variety that he hasn’t been approached about the role.

“It’s all rumor-ville,” Elba said. “I’m not speaking to the James Bond people. They are not speaking to me. So if it was to happen, there you go — the will of the nation.”

Elba’s conversation with Variety took place before the controversial statements from 007 author Anthony Horowitz to the Daily Mail this week, saying that Elba was “too street” for the role. “Idris Elba is a terrific actor, but I can think of other black actors who would do it better,” Horowitz was quoted as saying. “For me, Idris Elba is a bit too rough to play the part.” The British author later apologized for the comments on Twitter, saying: “I’m a writer, not a casting director, so what do I know?”

Elba said that he’d be inclined to take the part if the role ever came his way. “It’s an amazing opportunity,” the actor said. “But who knows, man. I’ve stopped speaking about it now. Even speaking to you now, I shouldn’t have answered that question.”

1. Jimmy says:

This is so stupid. The author said, “Idris Elba is a terrific actor, but I can think of other black actors who would do it better,”. And now you all want to call the author a racist? This is what happens when you try to find racism in the world: you find it even when it is obviously not there.

2. DD says:

YES! YES! YES! I vote for Idris Alba as James Bond. Idris is hot!

3. Karin says:

Idris Elba could have done it back when they were looking for the new Bond, but he’s only 4 years younger than Daniel Craig. Too late now. He’s a bit too old to reboot the franchise. They’ll have to go younger.

4. Bookworm says:

Why not Idris Elba? Previous incarnations have been different nationalities (albeit all white), hair colour and body types. I don’t see it would be so unvelievable… like anything about a Bond film is believable anyway ?!! Bring it on! One more viewer here!!!

5. JenT says:

Reminder, 007 is a Level of Excellence, Like Becoming a Jedi, you Earn it! Also, The Voice is what sends us all a flutter…This Man Has ALL of these & Would Be Awesome as Bond, James Bond!! now I need Popcorn!

6. Lester Bowen says:

Yeah, a black Bond. Like that would be believable.

• Esta says:

Mr. Lester, do not under estimate the magnitude of the power of your mind. Give your mind a chance, you will say to yourself: She is right! I can believe a Black Bond!

• Marcia says:

Yeah, just as much as it would be believable if the USA would vote for a black man to be president. Oh wait, the USA did vote to have a black man as president; twice! His name is Elba, Idris Elba. Move over Daniel Craig. Idris is gaining steam.

• wdc56 says:

Obama is actually bi-racial, and was raised by the white 50% of his genetic heritage, which he now largely disavows. Ben Carson would be America’s first real, 100% black POTUS.

• Warren says:

Will the ‘political correctness police’ ever stop? I don’t see a big push for a white ‘Shaft’!

7. Suzan Atkinson-Haverty says:

James Bond is white, and should always remain white! Blacks do not want us playing any of their rolls! Liam Hemsworth would be great in this roll!

8. AnonymousRex says:

All due respect to Idra, but James Bond is white. What’s next … Matt Damon to play Shaft?

• Sue says:

Boy are you boxed into who should play what. Yes Damon could play Shaft! Elba would be an amazing Bond! Have you actually seen any of Elba’s work??

9. Susan b says:

Idris Elba would be an awesome Bond! They are passing over an incredible actor. Luther proves he can be suave, daring and incredibly sexy! I’m on team Idris😊❤️❤️❤️❤️

10. Martin Devlin says:

I’ve got no issue with Idris Elba’s skin colour, I just don’t think he is a good enough actor. Luther is terrible, Pacific Rim was a joke. Elba is a tv lead but in movies he is a supporting actor. My other issue would be continuity in the Bond universe. Would a black character mean that James Bond: 007, is nothing more than an identity assumed by British agents?. That could work for me but it would mean that all the previous adventures were limited to the actors that played them. Also it would probably require Daniel Craig to be “killed” off in order to explain the switch for future movies. It could be done but would mean all of Bonds heritage, Scottish roots, emotional impact regarding Vesper Lynd and losing “M” would be lost and would continue to be lost with every change of actor. And don’t get me started on the subject of a female Bond in the future. I think it makes more sense to the character to leave his race unchanged.

11. john hopper says:

Yeah it is not the will of the nation -_-
    Opinion is massively divided on this issue, I think you need to do some more research.

12. Jen says:

Bond is a fictitious character and his race shouldnt be a defining characteristic anymore than his hair colour has in the past. Idris for Bond….and all my waking fantasies. in the language even producers will understand, Bond may have an inbuilt audience but Idris has massive support for this. Even those of us who quit watching decades ago would show up. His Bond will probably be the highest grossing of all time.

13. PaullyCc says:

Maybe 008 .. But Fleming’s Bond is a white guy.

• Lester Bowen says:

No one would pay to see that. Ridiculous, absurd idea.

• John says:

True, talent has nothing to do with skin color, but a character does. Eddy Murphy as Harry Potter? Brad Pitt as uncle Tom? James Earl Jones as Indiana Jones? Tom Hanks as Carrie? That’s equally stupid. It has nothing to do with race but with character description and typecasting.

• SueB says:

Wth is 008? Idris would be amazing! White black purple green what diff does it makes!!!!! You base a role on talent not color of skin! Wake up!

14. therealeverton says:

I think it may have passed him by, age wise. But there’s a reason they spoke to him about it a few years ago and I agree that he’ be a great choice.