FilmBuff to Release Adam Carolla’s Paul Newman Racing Documentary

FilmBuff Release Adam Carolla's Paul Newman
Jerod Harris/WireImage

FilmBuff has licensed worldwide rights to distribute “Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman,” directed and produced by Adam Carolla, Variety has learned exclusively.

The film, co-directed and produced by Nate Adams, will open in select theaters nationwide and on-demand on May 22.

Newman’s racing career spanned 35 years. He won four national championships as a driver and eight championships as an owner.

Carolla started restoring and racing vintage racecars in 2003 and has since acquired, restored and raced seven cars that Newman raced.

“There were so many incredible stories about Newman over his 35-year racing career and I was amazed that no one wanted to commit to telling his story,” he said.

Adams has over 30 credits in producing and directing documentary programming for Showtime, CBS, Animal Planet and History. FilmBuff released Carolla’s comedy “Road Hard” in March.

The film includes interviews with Newman, Tom Cruise, Robert Redford, Patrick Dempsey, Robert Wagner, Joanne Woodward, Jay Leno, Mario Andretti and Michael Andretti. The film is also produced by Mike August and is executive produced by Norm Pattiz and Matt D’Andria.

1. The film does NOT include Tom Cruise. The film production tried for months to get Tom Cruise to participate in the documentary but he and/or his people did not respond back

2. skip says:

“HOLLYWOOD’S NATIONAL CHAMPION” Paul Newman, those days before signing with Datsun, Skip Panzarella

3. skip says:

Paul Newman and Skip with a Georgia State Trooper giving us an escort to Road Atlanta Race Track. I guess it was better than jail. Skip

4. skip says:

I hope Adam included Paul Newman’s first National Championship D/production in his Triumph TR-6 1976. I want to say THANKS to the US Navy F-14 and Bill Howell(GM). I got Paul an extra gallon of experimental brake fluid for Paul’s TR-6 ( that”s a separate story in itself). In 1976 Navy pilots reported spongy brakes on carriers in F-14’s. Dow/Grumman/GM began testing for the Navy F-14 fighter experimental silicon fluid, which i got from GM. After using some GM tricks on Paul’s brakes and the special fluid, Paul won his first national championship D/Prod CSPRRC/SCCA. After winning the race PL came to me and said I fixed his problem. That was the beginning of a interesting relationship.

I got in a fight at a Trans Am race in Westwood, British Colombia. I wrote a treatment called “AVOCATION”, Renee Valente offered Paul Newman 3 million plus his points to play the lead. The movie would have been a racing version of BAD DAY AT BLOCK ROCK(Spencer Tracy).I am developing “HOLLYWOOD’S NATIONAL CHAMPION) Paul Newman. I had Paul Walker in mind to play Robert Redford,tears in my eyes.(Paul Walkers death)
    Who wants Patrick Dempsey to play Paul Newman?

5. Skip says:

Who want Patrick Dempsy to play the lead in “HOLLYWOODS NATIONAL CHAMPION” Paul Newman,
    Skip

6. Jeff B says:

Been a fan of Adam going on 20 years just about and still a regular listener to his podcast. My point is RIGHT FUCKING ON ADAM!!! if your in Jackson Hole WY this summer Ill def buy you a beer my man!

7. Wait? I thought this doc was produced and directed by Jewels Dash? Why is that neanderthal Adam Carolla taking credit?

• Scott Gammons says:

It is highly likely that Carolla is involved because he has bought and raced several of the cars that Newman raced. It tells you that much in the article. While Carolla is not a member of Mensa, he’s actually a lot smarter than most of the polished and plucked fakes in Hollywood by my estimation.

• Dan says:

@Scott It’s a joke, Carolla isn’t just involved, he’s the main impetus behind the film. Carolla makes the joke that Johnny made on his podcast, saying that if he weren’t involved his films would do much better.