‘Fifty Shades’ Sequel: James Foley Officially Offered Directing Job

Fifty Shades of Grey Berlin Film

James Foley has been officially offered the job to direct the “Fifty Shades of Grey” sequel after news broke two weeks ago that he was Universal’s top choice for the project.

Deadline Hollywood first reported that Foley was a front-runner for “Fifty Shades Darker” and sources now tell Variety that negotiations are expected to start shortly. Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson are attached to reprise their roles, with author E.L. James, Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti producing. James’ husband, Niall Leonard, penned the script.

Execs had been meeting with directors over the past several months since Sam Taylor-Johnson, who directed the first film in the trilogy, announced that she would not be returning to helm.

Production will begin in the first quarter of 2016, with the film set to bow on Feb. 14, 2017. Casting should get under way once Foley’s deal is worked out.

Foley directed several stylish dramas in the 1980s and ’90s, including “After Dark, My Sweet,” “At Close Range,” “Fear” and “Glengarry Glen Ross.” His first film was the 1984 romance “Reckless,” which starred Daryl Hannah and Aidan Quinn as lovers from opposite backgrounds. He most recently worked on Netflix’s “House of Cards.”

Foley is repped by UTA and Agence 3a.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 5

Leave a Reply

5 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. LITERARY PUBLISHING REPORT says:

    Since the british book was never published in America and the british movie was never released in America, yet the commie turd britshit stupidly based the impossible antiAmerican story in America, will the new movie be based back in its home on britain island or will the britshit find another place to stupidly base the impossible story.

  2. Fangirl says:

    I’m so excited!

  3. Serena says:

    His movies received bad reviews and directing here and there shows…he doesn’t have any experience with dealing with a big budget film.

  4. stevenkovacs says:

    From ‘Reckless’ to ‘Glengarry Glen Ross’ to ‘House Of Cards’ to…this?
    Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

    • Bobbi says:

      And so it begins!! He hasn’t even signed on the dotted line yet, but yet the nay-sayers, literary snobs and every critic and their diggity dog is already starting to badmouth the direction of this franchise. Soooo, @stevenkovacs, I say there’s over 100 million fans out there that think you’re full of crap! We looking forward to the remaining two adaptations of the trilogy and think that James Foley will do a fine job, as he has with his other projects…..

More Film News from Variety

Loading